Mississippi church refused to marry a Black couple

AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

Comments

• JosephineJosephine Registered Users Posts: 14,408 Curl Connoisseur
    That sucks, but quite honestly it's not news nor shocking at all to me.

My ex tried to get his haircut at this barber shop and the guy told him they don't cut 'black' hair. My ex is Indian guyanese with straight silky hair.
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    Yeah, not really surprising.

But what is surprising is that the pastor is not leading by example but kowing to the BS.
  • *Marah**Marah* Registered Users Posts: 8,032 Curl Neophyte
    Yeah. I had read about this a day or so ago. Not a shock to me or anything. I've heard of this happening before several times just within the last 2-3 years. I find it unfortunate and a display of racism. But then I could see someone coming in here saying that the minister and that church has the right to reject ANY couple and reject allowing a marriage to go on in their church that they don't want to go on. And the black couple should have just went somewhere else because there are black churches that would have married them.
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
    Oh, I wasn't surprised by this or anything, but I found it interesting because I remember a discussion on here maybe a few months ago or something where this happened to an interracial (Black/white) couple and some people were talking like this is something that only happens to interracial couples or is a special kind of hatred for interracial love, and I and others were saying it has more to do with anti-Blackness, but you don't see this happen as often with Black couples because they stay in Black churches.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• juicyfruitjuicyfruit Registered Users Posts: 751
    Is this illegal? It ought to be, but is it?
  • MojoDojoMojoDojo Registered Users Posts: 702 Curl Neophyte
    I find it interesting as well that the pastor just married them in another church. On the one hand, the pastor could have just told them to go be racist somewhere else, but risked having angry churchgoers protesting and completely wrecking the ceremony.

He did what he thought was best to ensure that the married couple have the best, most stress-free wedding possible given the circumstances.

I think the congregation (not the pastor) needs to be brought to court. What they did HAD to be illegal....

Sent from my HTC Vision using CurlTalk App
    I AM THE NEANDERTHAL SLAYER!!!
  • The New BlackThe New Black Registered Users Posts: 16,754 Curl Connoisseur
    God..ugh
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • annabananaliseannabananalise Registered Users Posts: 1,913
    I'm not on enough medication for this world.
    Last relaxer: 8.4.10
    BC: 9.6.11
    tumblr_mkqgfjWwA41qcwgrvo1_500.gif
    when will your favs?

• ZinniaZinnia Registered Users Posts: 7,339
    Was the couple members of the church? I couldn't tell from the article.
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
    I doubt it's illegal, because churches control marriage and are allowed to decide who they do or don't marry.

.png

534Pm5.png

• multicultcurlymulticultcurly Registered Users Posts: 5,136 Curl Connoisseur
    I think US churches are held to a different standard because of the legal separation of church and state. What I truly found odd is that this church has black members. Why are blacks good enough to be members but not good enough to be married in the church? That truly baffles me. It is hypocritical.
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
    Zinnia wrote: »

The bride's father is a member.

What on earth.. all this time that I have seen you on NC.com and never noticed your handle is MULTI-CULT-CURLY. LOL! And in this thread of all places!
  • murrrcatmurrrcat Registered Users Posts: 9,596
    oh well.
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
    *Marah* wrote: »

What on earth.. all this time that I have seen you on NC.com and never noticed your handle is MULTI-CULT-CURLY. LOL! And in this thread of all places!

It's short for multicultural curly but I get the irony. Lol
    *Marah* wrote: »

It's short for multicultural curly but I get the irony. Lol

Yes.. I know. Just thought it was funny that I'm JUST now noticing it like a complete MORON.
  • ChaklatChaklat Registered Users Posts: 89
    The fact that they were members here. Seriously, I can't worship anywhere I feel uncomfortable. They had to have felt a vibe, or saw the glares of dislike.
    People/organizations are so bold in their wrong doing, shame and standards no longer exist. And the audacity of the members, to call themselves a representation of Christ. Irks my very last nerve.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using CurlTalk App
  • The New BlackThe New Black Registered Users Posts: 16,754 Curl Connoisseur
    Ive never heard of such a thing. They can be members but not get married... and the pastor caved. Wow, HE isnt exactly leading the flock. This is a new level of stupidity, even for MS.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file