CurlTalk

Will stretching hair too often cause hair to loose curl pattern??

Okay, I am growing my 3a/3b, shoulder length hair out. (I want my hair to eventually be down to my belly button). It is very hot where I live right now (desert), and I want to put my hair up, and also want to put my hair up in buns and ponytails as protective styles. However, I have heard (and am deathly afraid of) hair loosing its curl pattern from being stretched too often/too much. Is this true? Please say it's not so. I am not planning on stretching and slicking my hair back harshly with a bristle brush like some women do to get that sleek look, or anything- I just want to gently pull my hair back while wet, put it in a ponytail or bun, and leave it alone. I do NOT want the front/top part of my hair to be straighter than the rest of my hair. I don't know..maybe I'm wrong and just being paranoid. :? Please let me know if this is true, and if you've ever experienced it or what to do to avoid or whatever you know! Thanks in advance. ;-)

Comments

• cherryblossom1175cherryblossom1175 Posts: 24Registered Users
    When you put it up in a bun, see if you can do it without an elastic and just use bobby pins. Scarves can work as pony tail holders with a softer hold too I've heard.
    3b
    Organix Conditioner
    Loreal leave-in conditioner
    As I Am Hair Milk
    As I Am Curling Jelly

:colors:
  • blubutterfly04blubutterfly04 Posts: 104Registered Users
    So not true. I slick my hair back, I braid it, I put it up in a bun. The curls pattern will appear looser or even straighten when I take down my hair from these styles but ince I wash it, the curls are back.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

CG since 9-1-09, Modified CG 1/10.3a/3b mix
    Low Porosity
    No Co-Washing, Using Mild Shampoos, Lo-poos: Shea Moisture Organic Raw Shea Moisture Shampoo, Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Shampoo
    Rinse-out: Shea Moisture Restorative Conditioner
    Low-poo/Clarifiers: ACV rinses
    Leave in's: Giovanni Direct Leave-in, Shea Moisture Restorative Conditioner
    DT's: Coconut Oil, Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque,
    Stylers: AG:recoil, LA Looks Mega Hold Gel,
    ** Air dry ONLY, I love plopping!**
  • SaraNoHSaraNoH Posts: 827Registered Users
    I think it really depends on how strong your hair is and how tight you're putting the ponytail. It's too bad scrunchies aren't in fashion because those seem really gentle :)
    But, I don't think you'll have a problem, as long as you're not yanking on your hair and keeping it healthy.

You could try clips too for pinning hair up or back.
    CG Birthday: 7/25/11
    Type 3a/2c
    Dense, Fine in front Coarse in back, Low porosity
    Low-Poo: SM Moisture Retention Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Tresemme Naturals
    Leave In: ^^^^
    Stylers: AIF, Natural Silks Curly Gel
    *Desert Curly*
  • chyxhtmlxchyxhtmlx Posts: 8Registered Users
    Thanks soo much for answering all of you. :) I guess ill just be very careful when bunning and putting my hair up. Seems easy enough!