Garnier Triple Nutrition Nutrient Spray - BIG MISTAKE

Auntie BubbsAuntie Bubbs Posts: 1,068Registered Users Curl Neophyte
So I've been pretty diligent about being CG for the past 5 years - my clarifying shampoo from Trader Joe's does have a sulfate in it, but it's pretty low down on the ingred list and it's a less harsh sulfate than SLS. Other than that, I don't use silcones, and I only use the clarifier once every week to 10 days.

So yesterday I went to Target for cleaning supplies, and of course I can't resist the hair section. I had gone with my hair about 80% dry, so by the time I was browsing the hair stuff it was pretty much dry. I wanted to SOTC, so I was looking for something to do that with. I had been wanting to try the new hair serum from Yes to Carrots, and I had hoped they had that, but they didn't. Anyway, I found this spray from Garnier, and I read the ingredients, and didn't see any cones.
I totally missed the 2nd ingredient on the list, which is that totally awful Cyclopentasiloxane, and is a silicone. Well, I used it in the store to SOTC, and my hair felt nice, soft and silky (duh, cones, I should've known). So I bought it - plus, I felt guilty using something in the store, LOL. It was only $5.50, and I am just about out of CIAB, so $5.50 as opposed to $18 plus shipping, seemed like a deal.

Anyway, after I got home I of course looked it up here, and realised it had a cone. I figured, well, maybe it'll be ok, I only use it to SOTC like every 2 or 3 days anyway.

WRONG! because today, a day I'd normally get 2nd day hair, my hair is awful. It looks like I slept on my hair (I sleep in a cap so it never looks like that normally) and has no curl at all, just frizzy mass. It looks matted and horrible. And my scalp is itchy and feels dirty and gross and dry. I know I only used it once, so I am kind of surprised. Is this a psychological reaction? I swear I can feel buildup already!!
I am going to take it back and tell them it made my scalp itch - I feel guilty claiming allergic reaction, but I don't want this horrible product, and I don't even want to try to swap it. It's so awful I can't inflict it on someone else.

It's so weird because for an hour or three, my hair looked and felt really nice. I even got a compliment from the cashier at Target. :laughing2: But a couple of hours later, it was already looking wild and frizzy.

Makes me remember why I gave up the cones!
That's me with FSG as my styler!!

3b. fine & thick, coarse, dry, medium porosity. Sucks up product and loves ACVs! FSG is my HG!

Currently using:
Low Poo: TJ's Refresh No Poo: CoWash w/VO-5; Sonoma Soap Company sulfate-free poo
RO: Yes to Cuc; SSC Lavender Condish; Sally GVP LI: Donna Marie Miracle D&C
Style: FSG w/Aussie Instant Freeze & CIAB

Comments

• NaturallycurlsNaturallycurls Posts: 20Registered Users
    I remember using that stuff before I went CG and didn't like it then.
    Do you know the ingredients of the new yes to carrots serum? Is it CG?
    CG off and on since 2010-Determined to stick with it 2013
    3C (I think) - Thick, fine, extremely porous
    Cleanse L'Oreal EverCreme
    CO-(Daily)YTC, Suave tea therapy, TN
    RO- Yes to cucumbers color care, L'Oreal reparative or intense smoothing, Tresseme Naturals
    LI- Grapeseed oil
    Stylers- SMCES, KCCC
    Gel- AIA smoothing...still looking

Hair loves protein

I finally realized, its all about "Clumping!:thumright:
  • Auntie BubbsAuntie Bubbs Posts: 1,068Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm still looking for the YTC serum. I didn't find it at Target, or at CVS. I'm hoping Walgreens will have it, I'm almost out of CIAB.
    If I can find it, I'll post about it :) incl. the ingredients. Hoping it's a good alternative.

Man, my head itched even after washing with my low-poo to clarify that Garnier out. It was awful

3b. fine & thick, coarse, dry, medium porosity. Sucks up product and loves ACVs! FSG is my HG!

Currently using:
    Low Poo: TJ's Refresh No Poo: CoWash w/VO-5; Sonoma Soap Company sulfate-free poo
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,275Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    According to YTC's website, the YTC anti-frizz serum ingredients are:
    Water (Aqua), Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Glycol Stearate, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Behentrimonium Chloride, Ceteareth-20, Keratin Amino Acids, Hydrolyzed Lupine Protein, Panthenol, Mangifera Indica (Mango) Seed Butter, Aleurites Moluccana Seed Oil, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Zea Mays (Corn) Oil, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Seed Oil*, Ipomoea Batatas Root Lees Extract, Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Corylus Avellana (Hazel) Seed Oil, Fragrance (Parfum), Polyquaternium-10, Brassica Campestris/Aleurites Fordi Oil Copolymer, Phenoxyethanol. * Certified Organic Ingredient

I may just have to give this a try. I've been wanting to revisit serums, but there aren't many that are CG, much less available locally. L'Oreal's Eversleek line has one, but it's $9 for less than 2oz. That's more pricy than CIAB, even with shipping included!
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
    The ingredients look good, but I have had no luck finding it in stores. I went to Walgreen's yesterday and nope, not there either. Maybe another Walgreen's, I'll keep looking. My closest one doesn't have great selection - they didn't have any Yes to Cucs either, and only one bottle each of Yes to Carrots poo and condish, and I don't care for the carrots condish. Ulta stopped carrying the Yes to haircare line, and now only have the skincare line. Same is true of my local Targets.

I've tried the Eversleek serum and gave it away - didn't care for it, and the smell was nauseating for me. Way too chemically and gross. :( I guess if I can't find the YTC serum, I'll order more CIAB. The plus side to CIAB is that the bottle is so big it lasts me on average 8 months :)

Currently using:
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,275Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Auntie Bubbs, if you don't mind ordering online, walmart.com has YTC serum for $7.97.
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
    Thanks, I may do that. Depends on if I want to order anything else to make shipping worth it. I finally found Yes to Cucs condish, it seemed like no where had that lately. So I'm happy to have that at least. :)I'd love to see some product reviews on this serum though!

Currently using:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file