Does anyone have a deck made of composite decking?

munchkinmunchkin Registered Users Posts: 2,909 Curl Connoisseur
We have a very large deck that needs replaced. We have decided to go with some type of composite which is going to be quite expensive. Does anyone here have a composite deck? If so, what did you use, WHEN did you install the deck, and do you like/dislike it? Reason I ask when you installed it is because with all the reserarch my husband and I have done we have discovered there have been some significant changes/upgrades in the past two years targeting previous problems. We have our search narrowed to the shelled TREX or to Certain-Teed PVC. Does anyone here have experience with either? One site we found said the shelled composite was the composite of the future; this guy recommended going that way. Even if not familiar with these two, your views on the type you are familiar with would help. Thanks.
3b/c

Comments

• mrspoppersmrspoppers Registered Users Posts: 7,223 Curl Novice
    We have Trex decking. We built the deck in 2007. If these are the problems you're worried about, we haven't had any of them. In fact, I can't think of any problems with it. If I recall correctly, the problems that resulted in the class action lawsuit were corrected before we put in our deck because that all sounds vaguely familiar.

One thing to keep in mind, and which Trex clearly states in all literature and on their website but I see from my link that people ignore, is that Trex fades. You should install a color that is darker than what you ultimately want or you will be disappointed. I actually think it fades nicely and the color we have now looks good but we planned ahead.

We just have the basic Trex--no wood grain or special textures. We chose it because our deck is off the second floor and we didn't want to have to reinstall it in just a few years. I can't see it not lasting the 25 years they promise. Hubby and I did it ourselves, with some help from his friends on the heavy lifting.

Here it is when we were installing the railings and stairs. You can see one plank in the middle and a half-plank to the right that are a little faded. They all matched in color within a month or so. [ETA: Sorry it's so big. I can't seem to resize it.]
    IMG_0301.jpg
  • kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    We replaced redwood with TREX at least four or five years ago--redwood had been "stained" and required it to be done every other year or it looked like crap. No problems with the TREX. DH carefully power washes it in the spring and other then that, it requires no maintenance.

My only complaint would be the expense. Our deck is quite large. I could have had a new BMW for what the TREX cost!
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Registered Users Posts: 7,223 Curl Novice
    KathyMack, do you have the higher end Trex? Otherwise, pressure washing will ruin your deck. I'd hate anyone read that and think it's okay.
  • kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    mrspoppers wrote: »
    KathyMack, do you have the higher end Trex? Otherwise, pressure washing will ruin your deck. I'd hate anyone read that and think it's okay.

From what it cost, I assume so--when I say that I could have bought a new BMW, I wasn't exaggerating! He was told that he could power wash it, as long as he was careful.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • munchkinmunchkin Registered Users Posts: 2,909 Curl Connoisseur
    Ladies, thanks. We have both been leaning towards the shelled Trex. It has the color we like the best, one of the better warranties, and we think it doesn't look as "plastic" as the PVC. We have taken into consideration the fade factor.

mrspoppers, your deck looks really nice. Thanks for the picture.

kathymack, our deck is very large also. Not sure it is the cost of a BMW, but by the time we purchase materials and have it installed we could have gone on a very nice high end vacation icon7.gif
    3b/c

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file