Dairy (milk) Alternatives

goldygoldy Registered Users Posts: 5,463 Curl Connoisseur
Years ago when I ate a vegan diet I never felt better. Lately I've been having more cheese & milk and want to limit it a lot due to how I'm feeling physically.

I know there are some more products available now & I'm curious what are everyone's favorites?

Specifically, I'm looking for a coffee creamer (or milk) to replace the organic nf milk I use now. I also enjoy a glass of chocolate milk a 1-2 times a week and would like an alternative. I used to drink Silk chocolate milk but I try to limit my soy intake now, and completely stay away from GMO. I don't know if Silk is GMO free?

Aside from the milk any other suggestions for desserts (oh how I loved toffutti cuties mint chip back in the day) or cheeses are welcome :)
Poodlehead wrote:
Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:

Comments

  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Registered Users Posts: 17,502 Curl Neophyte
    I know of soy creamer.

    I don't avoid all dairy, but I do limit milk. The Almond Breeze brand uses non GMO almonds. Trader Joe's also has non GMO non fairy beverages in rice, almond, soy, and coconut.

    Saria would tell you to make your own almond milk. :)
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

    Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • Parissy198907Parissy198907 Registered Users Posts: 479
    Silk is GMO free and I drink their Light Chocolate Milk and it's delicious! Like you, I only have a 1-2 glasses per week but I don't monitor my soy intake.

    Almond Breeze, Rice Milk, and Coconut Milk are the only other brands I can think of. I don't know how they taste though. sorry.
    14905839.png
  • sleepymekosleepymeko Registered Users Posts: 1,002
    I love Silk's Soy milk :) I've been using for years.
    Check out my personal blog :afro:



    s-event.png
  • SaraNoHSaraNoH Registered Users Posts: 827
    I agree with the almond milk suggestions. Delicious! The sweetened variety is a little too sweet if you ask me, so I stick to unsweetened.

    I recently found a recipe for flaxseed milk which you can find here. Heck, we use flax for hair gel, why not milk too? It looks pretty easy/inexpensive to make too.
    CG Birthday: 7/25/11
    Type 3a/2c
    Dense, Fine in front Coarse in back, Low porosity
    Low-Poo: SM Moisture Retention Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Tresemme Naturals
    Leave In: ^^^^
    Stylers: AIF, Natural Silks Curly Gel
    *Desert Curly*
  • The New BlackThe New Black Registered Users Posts: 16,754 Curl Connoisseur
    Hemp milk
    Almond milk
    Rice milk (my favorite)
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

    I am the new Black.

    "Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • wild~hairwild~hair Registered Users Posts: 9,890 Curl Neophyte
    I have had really good and really bad almond milk. I had a sample of chocolate-flavored almond milk at Whole Foods recently that was so delicious, but they didn't have a sign about it or a package on display. It was late in the day and they were taking things down. We were in a hurry so I never did figure out where it was from. I'm going to try to find it again. It was yum!
  • maria_imaria_i Registered Users Posts: 1,765 Curl Connoisseur
    Almond and rice milk are my favorites.
    Almond has a nice nutty flavour. Rice alone tastes like nothing :shock: but not like water :p and I prefer this with cereals.
    3a/b.
    Mexico City.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CurlyinColoradoCurlyinColorado Registered Users Posts: 3,093
    Rice Dream
    So Delicious Coconut Milk

    I use the Rice Dream in my coffee and the Coconut Milk in my smoothies and morning granola.

    I don't miss regular milk as much as I use to nor do I miss dairy as much as I thought I would.

    ETA - I love the So Delicious and Rice Dream ice creams, yum!
    2b/3a.
  • Parissy198907Parissy198907 Registered Users Posts: 479
    The So Delicious Peanut Butter Zigzag ice cream is sooo good! :blob2:
    14905839.png
  • wild~hairwild~hair Registered Users Posts: 9,890 Curl Neophyte
    My favorite non-dairy ice cream is So Delicious coconut milk ice cream in chocolate.

    Although lately when I want ice cream, I just go get a cone of the really good stuff from our local ice cream shop. I figure if I'm going to splurge, I might as well do it right.
  • LayaliLayali Registered Users Posts: 561 Curl Connoisseur
    The So delicious coconut milk coffee creamer is really good too. The line is also non-gmo.
    naturally 3b/3c

    Explanation by the tongue makes most things clear, but love unexplained is clearer. ~ Rumi
  • SariaSaria Registered Users Posts: 15,963
    I know of soy creamer.

    I don't avoid all dairy, but I do limit milk. The Almond Breeze brand uses non GMO almonds. Trader Joe's also has non GMO non fairy beverages in rice, almond, soy, and coconut.

    Saria would tell you to make your own almond milk. :)

    :lol: So predictable.

    You could also make oat milk. It's a good one!
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • goldygoldy Registered Users Posts: 5,463 Curl Connoisseur
    I guess I should have been a bit more specific. I'm looking for brands and product names :)

    Years ago I remember I didn't like Rice Dream or 8th Continent milks. I also tried others, almond dream maybe? Needless to say I found I liked Silk best back then. But I know there are more products out there now.
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:
  • irociroc Registered Users Posts: 7,890 Curl Neophyte
    I use Almond Breeze milk. I still use regular creamer though.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using CurlTalk App
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SaraNoHSaraNoH Registered Users Posts: 827
    Saria wrote: »
    I know of soy creamer.

    I don't avoid all dairy, but I do limit milk. The Almond Breeze brand uses non GMO almonds. Trader Joe's also has non GMO non fairy beverages in rice, almond, soy, and coconut.

    Saria would tell you to make your own almond milk. :)

    :lol: So predictable.

    You could also make oat milk. It's a good one!

    I tried to make oat milk once and it was naaasty. I guess I didn't do it right because it was slimy, not smooth. I've researched up and down about how to do it right but I'm getting conflicting info.
    CG Birthday: 7/25/11
    Type 3a/2c
    Dense, Fine in front Coarse in back, Low porosity
    Low-Poo: SM Moisture Retention Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Tresemme Naturals
    Leave In: ^^^^
    Stylers: AIF, Natural Silks Curly Gel
    *Desert Curly*
  • SariaSaria Registered Users Posts: 15,963
    Well, to start with the obvious, you used groats, right?
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • maria_imaria_i Registered Users Posts: 1,765 Curl Connoisseur
    Yes , oat milk is delicious!
    Well, we call it here "horchata de avena", but it s the same.

    My super simple recipe for one glass:

    Three spoons of oats
    A little more than a big glass of COLD water.
    A spoon or a blender and a strainer.


    Mix very well and strain. I don t strain anymore.

    If water is not cold it comes out slimy.
    3a/b.
    Mexico City.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SariaSaria Registered Users Posts: 15,963
    ^That's more like frescavena or an oat smoothie, which I love, but it's different from oat milk.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • maria_imaria_i Registered Users Posts: 1,765 Curl Connoisseur
    ^^Oh! I didn t know that Saria! Sorry!

    I d like to know how oat milk is made. Oats are great btw! :)
    3a/b.
    Mexico City.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SariaSaria Registered Users Posts: 15,963
    Oh, no problem, just clarifying!
    Oat milk is made like horchata de arroz, kind of. You strain out the oats. You want to use whole groats or at least steel-cut.
    It helps to use cheesecloth to keep out solids or it will thicken and get slimy.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • gagirl09gagirl09 Registered Users Posts: 2,316
    -Love silk through and through!! Very Vanilla flavor is a cherry on top
    -Silk does have a creamer but I can't tell you about the taste because I don't drink coffee
    - Looooooooove Daiya Cheese varieties. Get it at WF it is actually cheaper there versus when I go to Kroger. It melts and stretches
    -So Delicious Purely Decadent Turtle Trails/Tracks flavor, heaven in my mouth
    -Back to Nature Cookie Cremes
    Last relaxer: Nov. 24, 2008
    BC: December 19, 2009
    Products: Whatever works!
  • murrrcatmurrrcat Registered Users Posts: 9,596
    Go in the dairy isle, where the refrigerated coffee creamers are, and look at the sides, the flavored ones (york peppermint patty, coldstone flavor, vanilla, etc) are usually....LACTOSE FREE. Ha, they put it in tiny writing, but I knows...:happy3:

    I used to assume they had dairy and led a miserable life, but then someone told me and it set me free.
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
  • irociroc Registered Users Posts: 7,890 Curl Neophyte
    murrrcat wrote: »
    Go in the dairy isle, where the refrigerated coffee creamers are, and look at the sides, the flavored ones (york peppermint patty, coldstone flavor, vanilla, etc) are usually....LACTOSE FREE. Ha, they put it in tiny writing, but I knows...:happy3:

    I used to assume they had dairy and led a miserable life, but then someone told me and it set me free.

    Really? That's good to know. I use the flavored ones. I know they don't seem to bother me, while getting coffee out at Dunkin Donuts usually does.


    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using CurlTalk App
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • murrrcatmurrrcat Registered Users Posts: 9,596
    iroc wrote: »
    murrrcat wrote: »
    Go in the dairy isle, where the refrigerated coffee creamers are, and look at the sides, the flavored ones (york peppermint patty, coldstone flavor, vanilla, etc) are usually....LACTOSE FREE. Ha, they put it in tiny writing, but I knows...:happy3:

    I used to assume they had dairy and led a miserable life, but then someone told me and it set me free.

    Really? That's good to know. I use the flavored ones. I know they don't seem to bother me, while getting coffee out at Dunkin Donuts usually does.


    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using CurlTalk App


    Yes!
    They say on the side of the bottles in small letters :lactose and gluten free

    Not sure why tiny letters, they should scream it from the roof tops.

    I wish dunk had a milk alternative.

    I usually bring my coffee cup for work, with creamer already in and then get their coffee just black lolol.




    Sent from my shiPhone using CurlTalk
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
  • irociroc Registered Users Posts: 7,890 Curl Neophyte
    murrrcat wrote: »
    iroc wrote: »
    murrrcat wrote: »
    Go in the dairy isle, where the refrigerated coffee creamers are, and look at the sides, the flavored ones (york peppermint patty, coldstone flavor, vanilla, etc) are usually....LACTOSE FREE. Ha, they put it in tiny writing, but I knows...:happy3:

    I used to assume they had dairy and led a miserable life, but then someone told me and it set me free.

    Really? That's good to know. I use the flavored ones. I know they don't seem to bother me, while getting coffee out at Dunkin Donuts usually does.


    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using CurlTalk App


    Yes!
    They say on the side of the bottles in small letters :lactose and gluten free

    Not sure why tiny letters, they should scream it from the roof tops.

    I wish dunk had a milk alternative.

    I usually bring my coffee cup for work, with creamer already in and then get their coffee just black lolol.




    Sent from my shiPhone using CurlTalk

    That's interesting. So I don't have to change my creamer! I always wondered why it didn't bother my stomach when everything else does!

    Good to know its gluten free too.


    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using CurlTalk App
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file