A Chi Iron permenantly relaxed my hair!!! Need Advice.

CurlyRuthyCurlyRuthy Posts: 40Registered Users
When I first started using the Chi ceramic ron, my old hairdresser told me that if I use it regularly enough, It will permanently straighten it....almost like the Japanese straightener. I didn't believe it. Well it happened. The first few inches of my hair are wavy (not my real natural (3) curl) and the bottom few inches are pin straight.Needless to say, attempting to go to curly is very difficult because it looks very odd with the pin straight bottom. My hair is on the short side to start with so the idea of cutting all the straight stuff off is out of the question.
Now I have another problem. My job REQUIRES me to wear my hair straight. It's an instruction given by my boss that I'm just not in the position to fight about right now. So I am trying to straighten it on days I work and leave it natural on days I don't.
My question: Does anyone know of a good flatiron that WILL NOT Permanently straighten my hair?
Does anyone know of a protector that will keep my hair from being permanently straightened and damaged by the flatiron?
3B-NoPoo,OneC,AnGell,Joiwhip,Jessicurl

event.png

Comments

• bubbles76bubbles76 Posts: 288Registered Users
    What job would require you to wear your hair straight? I understand you don't want to fight, but I'm just curious. The only place I can think about that would be that strict is the military, and even they don't play that.

No, there isn't a single flat iron that won't permanently straighten your hair over time. Heat protectants can only delay the damage or lesson it. And since you need it straight every day...you're out of luck sweetie :( Why don't you try growing it out and snipping off a little at a time? And you could always wear a wig to work until you find another job that isn't so obviously discriminatory.
    Last Relaxer August 15, 2004
    Big Chop April 23, 2006
    event.png
  • blackhoney112blackhoney112 Posts: 126Registered Users
    Hi there, sorry this happened to you....I would suggest increasing the moisture in your hair by doing conwashes VO5 Champagne kisses or Back to basics Pomegrante(when wearing curly) and deep conditioning Kenra Mc or Miss keys 10 en 1/Aloe Avocado (when wearing straight). I do not know your work schedule but I would not recomend flat ironing more than 1x a week and maining that with pin curls or wrapping. I love Maxiglide flatiron and just started using Chi silk complex as a heat protectant and so far so good. HTH :)
    3c/4a
    Transitioning
    Following C&G method
    Fav products: Kenra MC, Misskey 10en1, VO5 moisturemilks, ACV rinses, Rhassoul clay & WGO
    pw: Romeo
    My hair album
  • life's hard for a curllife's hard for a curl Posts: 89Registered Users
    I am not sure your hair is permanently straightened. Sometimes it happens that when you flat iron your hair often enough it will stay straight for a long period of time even after you wash it but by no means permanently. It will just take a while for it turn curly again.
    I am a 3c reformed product junkie thanks to the economy.

I lurk a lot, I change my hair color a lot. It's currently black and bsl when wet and beyond my shoulders still when dry.

Now I will stop procrastinating and get back to what I was supposed to be doing before I got on here.

Any questions?
  • MaloryMalory Posts: 379Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I am just reading this and dying to know what kind of job requires you to wear your hair straight.
  • keikokkeikok Banned Posts: 585Banned Users
    Malory wrote:
    I am just reading this and dying to know what kind of job requires you to wear your hair straight.

sounds like discrimination to me
    Keiko

my fotki-its a work in progress
    http://public.fotki.com/keikok/
    password:curly
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,136Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    According to her pics, she is a news anchor.
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • eccentric_kurlzeccentric_kurlz Posts: 4,151Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm with the other posters on this one.........what job REQUIRES that you straighten your hair? Where in the company policy/procedures is this mandated? Where in your employment contract is this stated? I'm currently a grad student studying HR management, and this sounds like disciminatory practices. It's one thing to expect a certain level of professionalism, and prior to hiring, they say that we prefer that you not to wear x,y,z. But if you have been employed with them, and NOW they are saying you MUST straighten, I'd be fighting this completely, especially if he's requesting only that YOU straighten your hair. If he is, this is probably disparate treatment(basically when an employer intentionally treats a(protected) employee differently in violation of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of '64). Even if you don't want to fight this, atleast talk to someone in HR.

Is it possible for you to wear your hair in a bun? When I was relaxed, even I didn't use heat everyday. There is a way to minimize the damage, but sometimes damage comes with the territory when it comes to heat styling. I straighten my hair maybe 2-3 times a year, and I can get about 2 weeks out of it(if there isn't any rain or humidity). Using silicone-based serums help, but that's not to say that it will totally prevent damage, though.

Good luck!
    A wonderful mix of coils, curls, corkscrews, and kinks.

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/shyygirl_2007/
    PW: curlyhair

I have a blog now. Follow meeeee! :)

http://naturalurbanista.blogspot.com/

"You see, when it comes to language competence, a true patriot must hit that sweet spot between "job-stealing immigrant" and "liberal elitist." ~Eilonwy

Wanna have access to the top names in fashion and luxury at up to 70% off retail? Sure you do. http://tinyurl.com/3yxneol

DC metro area
  • soon2bsoon2b Posts: 220Registered Users
    The bun sounds like a good idea because you can slick it back without having to straighten it. Also, like someone esle mentioned, wrap your hair at night so you dont have to straighten everyday ( it looks like a beehive) then tie a satin scarf around it. Good Luck!
    event.png

Hair Type: small 3c patch in the center, mostly 4a with a patch of 4b at my temples
    Shampoo: Suave daily clarifying ( when I feel that need)
    Conditioners: AOHSR, MM, olive oil
    Styler/Leave-in: SheaMoisture, Fantasia IC, HNS
  • CurlyRuthyCurlyRuthy Posts: 40Registered Users
    Thank you all so much for the advice and feedback.
    3B-NoPoo,OneC,AnGell,Joiwhip,Jessicurl

event.png
  • sidittysiditty Posts: 62Registered Users
    CurlyRuthy wrote:
    Thank you all so much for the advice and feedback.

I don't know what job you have, but your photo album shows that you have gorgeous curly hair. Just beautiful!!!!

I am thinking you have a high profile job. Maybe instead of straightening, maybe wear updos, style while wet to prevent damage. CHI I found is dangerous, it will lead to breakage!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file