rule on combing with wide tooth combs

CappuccinoCurlsCappuccinoCurls Posts: 19Registered Users
The CG book says to not comb at all, but I am used to using a wide tooth in the shower to apply condtioner. Is there a hard and fast rule on this?
Current routine:
DEVA No Poo, as a shampoo and conditioner in one (can be used on dry hair to remove build up, then wet hair and complete washing process).

DEVA One Conditioner or TJ Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner as a co-wash (1 - 2X a week)

DEVA light gel & volumizing mousse on very wet hair, scrunch with a microfiber towel

Diffuse with duck clips

HAIR STATS

*3a

*Low porosity
*Low hair density
*Fine hair, but lots of it

Comments

• bleuyteuybleuyteuy Posts: 273Registered Users
    I think CG is great but you have to do what works for you. Its a good starting template but you don't have to follow everything. Do what works for you. Sometimes I need to cleanse. I use a comb because sometime I get single strand knots and those things suck.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    ^^ I strongly agree with this.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • dftkarindftkarin Posts: 56Registered Users
    I am wondering the same thing - especially because I think I could get product (conditioner or gel) distributed more evenly through my thick hair if I used a comb to comb it through.
  • CurlyCutie1394CurlyCutie1394 Posts: 348Registered Users
    I use a comb I have long nails and finger detangling could break my nails
  • itsKelCeeEeeitsKelCeeEee Posts: 1,084Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I use a wide toothed comb because there's noooo waaay I could get shed hair out with just my fingers. Ill go through my hair with my fingers AFTER detangling, but that's as close as I get.

Apple now owns my soul...sent from my iPhone.
    tumblr_mfb2v27JpJ1qfxenmo1_250.gif
    Big Chop: 11/25/09
    Cottony/fluffy, medium/coarse, high density & porosity
    SL - APL - BSB - BSL - MBL - WL - HL
  • PuffffPuffff Posts: 55Registered Users
    The first time I read this in the CG book I shuddered lol i actually didn't appreciate it because I felt like (unlike things like sulfate which are bad for everyone's hair regardless of whether they chose to use them or not) that not combing was something she specifically didn't do for HER hair not something that would work for all curls. That being said: I do comb my hair everyday with a wide tooth comb. My hair is rarely tangly (if its damp I can comb straight down from roots to tip) and I hardly ever lose any hair either. Now when I don't comb every day (through my hair up in ponytail or something) it will get tangly and I'll lose a lot of hair the next time I wash or comb it.

So no. For me this 'rule' is N/A. Now I will say that I do like hands only combing too and do use that to distribute product but only after I've used my wide tooth comb first.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file