Any PJs want to take a no-buy pledge with me?!

bubblemamabubblemama Posts: 58Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Hey fellow curlies!

When I began this journey three months ago, I rotated between two shampoos and conditioners, and used one gel and one serum. That was pretty much the sum total of my product stash.

Today, I have no less than about 25 products in rotation (all CG). I am clearly out of control. :disgust: Since I seem to buy the pricey stuff, my frugality is taking a hit, too.

I need to stop it already.

Anyone want to take vow with me stop buying product until you kill at least half you stash?
CG since 4/15/12
2c-3b, fine to medium, high porosity, low elasticity
20% gray (stopped coloring 6/12)

LOVES: protein, Shea Moisture condish. & masque, KCCC, Re:Coil (HG), Kiss My Face Upper Mgmt. gel, my own FSG!

does not love: non-cg ingredients, oils, PVA/PVP, synthetic fragrances or poly-quats

Comments

• yossarianyossarian Posts: 967Registered Users
    bubblemama wrote: »
    Hey fellow curlies!

When I began this journey three months ago, I rotated between two shampoos and conditioners, and used one gel and one serum. That was pretty much the sum total of my product stash.

Today, I have no less than about 25 products in rotation (all CG). I am clearly out of control. Since I seem to buy the pricey stuff, my frugality is taking a hit, too.

I need to stop it already.

Anyone want to take vow with me stop buying product until you kill at least half you stash?

haha ... funny you should post this. Like you, I'm a cheapskate and minimalist by nature who became entranced by the wonderful world of CG. After a 6-month splurge, I swore to myself two weeks ago that I was absolutely finished with new products. Then Ulta had their liter sale, and then a couple of curlies put some great products on the swap board, and then ...

But now I'm done, I promise!

I think there's a 12-step program for people like us :D
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi
    2c/3a, BSL, medium, low porosity
    Low-poo: Bobeam and CV poo bars; Acure Argan Oil & Stem Cell
    Conditioner: Acure Argan Oil & Stem Cell; Desert Essence Shea
    Stylers: Sweet Curls Elixir Curl Cream; SM CES
    PT: BASK Whiskey Soak
  • bubblemamabubblemama Posts: 58Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I was half-hoping no one would respond so I wouldn't have to be accountable but, there you are so here I go.

I hereby do solemnly swear not to buy any more product until I've used at least half my stash.

Darn, that was kinda' hard.

And there goes Jessicurl emailing me about free shipping. Evil temptress.
    CG since 4/15/12

LOVES: protein, Shea Moisture condish. & masque, KCCC, Re:Coil (HG), Kiss My Face Upper Mgmt. gel, my own FSG!

does not love: non-cg ingredients, oils, PVA/PVP, synthetic fragrances or poly-quats

• dresdendolldresdendoll Posts: 435Registered Users
    Ok...
    I'm just buying ONE hair gel this weekend. Just one thing, promise! ;)
    ...after I return the one that didn't work for me.

Well, I had a free sample of the gel first, so at least I know it will work for me, and it won't be so much trial and error.
    2c/2b with some 2a, coarse, dense, thick, low porosity
    Growing out a CL bob. Currently at APL.
    CG again as of 7/20/12 :laughing5:

Cleanser: BRÖÖ Smoothing I.P.A. Shampoo
    RO: Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Conditioner
    LI: Kinky-Curly Knot Today
    Styler: Beautiful Curls Gel for Wavy to Curly Hair

:love4: all-natural products, light moisture, humectants, argan oil
    :pukeright:silk protein, synthetic ingredients, heavy oils/products, cowashing
  • yossarianyossarian Posts: 967Registered Users
    I was half-hoping no one would respond so I wouldn't have to be accountable but, there you are so here I go.

I hereby do solemnly swear not to buy any more product until I've used at least half my stash.

No pain, no gain, right?

I just have a couple of items I'd already arranged to buy, and then I'm done. So I'll be back to make an official statement on the record, at which point I am to be blocked from viewing the swap board :icon_smile:
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi
    2c/3a, BSL, medium, low porosity
    Low-poo: Bobeam and CV poo bars; Acure Argan Oil & Stem Cell
    Conditioner: Acure Argan Oil & Stem Cell; Desert Essence Shea
    Stylers: Sweet Curls Elixir Curl Cream; SM CES
    PT: BASK Whiskey Soak
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Posts: 3,204Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

If it's enabling that you're looking for... :)

I have been sort of stash killing for a little while now. At my worst, I had 105 different hair products in my bathroom, not including any duplicates. I'm down to 92. I can't promise to stop buying because that seems to trigger a big product binge after a few weeks (kind of like strict dieting). But I've become much more careful about what I buy and stick to a list. I also try to clear a few items in my stash before I purchase more.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • PerriPPerriP Posts: 6,613Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'll take the pledge but only through July... I feel I can commit to 2 weeks. At that point I will need to buy conditioner. I am, however, on "product" restriction until I run out of things, I had to give myself a talking to about my need to keep buying the things I've read about here.

Also, I'm trying to convince myself that simpler is better and maybe this restriction will force me to realize I really need less products (but I also know the PJ in me is fighting that type of thinking LOL)

Sent from my HTC Glacier using CurlTalk App
    Modified CG since Dec 2011
    Ok...
    I'm just buying ONE hair gel this weekend. Just one thing, promise! ;)
    ...after I return the one that didn't work for me.

Well, I had a free sample of the gel first, so at least I know it will work for me, and it won't be so much trial and error.

Okay, I think "we" can let it slide. ;)
    CG since 4/15/12

PerriP wrote: »
    I'll take the pledge but only through July... I feel I can commit to 2 weeks. At that point I will need to buy conditioner. I am, however, on "product" restriction until I run out of things, I had to give myself a talking to about my need to keep buying the things I've read about here.

Also, I'm trying to convince myself that simpler is better and maybe this restriction will force me to realize I really need less products (but I also know the PJ in me is fighting that type of thinking LOL)

Wait - you have only one conditioner? I'm sure I read that wrong.
    CG since 4/15/12

• PerriPPerriP Posts: 6,613Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    PerriP wrote: »

Wait - you have only one conditioner? I'm sure I read that wrong.

LOL, I cannot tell you how many conditioners I have... But I'm having some protein issues so I'm mainly only using one for my RO, I'll need more in a couple of weeks

Sent from my HTC Glacier using CurlTalk App
    Modified CG since Dec 2011
  • mcherycemcheryce Posts: 363Registered Users
    Im ready to pledge but my curlbox and curlkits are already paid for and will be here next month. What should I do?? But I will not buy anymore products until at least September. Curl box/kit already paid for so I guess that doesn't count??
    WE CAN SO THIS! A CHANGE GONE COME!!!
  • MissKrisMissKris Posts: 288Registered Users
    Wow!! I had no idea the PJ condition was so serious. I believe I had the potential to become one, but I found a product line, fell in love, then learned the traps of the hair product industry and now I am no longer in danger of falling into this expensive disorder LoL...

Birth Feb 1984, First press 1990, First relaxer 1992, Last relaxer Oct 2006, BC Sept 2007, 4c.....
  • RoadDamon35RoadDamon35 Posts: 16Registered Users
    Girlllllllll...... I know we're your coming from. I haven't had a perm for almost four months. I have spent more money on product now then I did when I had a perm. I will take that pledge with you. Starting monday I will not purchase anything else. I will have a Monday start because massagewarehouse is having free shipping.

Btw. I just ordered the curlbox. That's a monthly product sample subscription. But I will buy no other products.

I'm done. I don't have enough room in my bathroom.
    Y'all are makin' me laugh!!
    CG since 4/15/12

• smasters467smasters467 Posts: 527Registered Users
    I'd take the pledge, but I'd also know I was lying. Maybe not intentionally, consciously, but lying nonetheless.

I can't do it, I LOVE buying/trying new products. I don't need them, nor do I have room for them, but I do it anyway.

My hair is really the only thing that I spend money on, I'm not into clothes (tshirt and jeans kinda gal), I don't do nails at all, I have all the makeup that I want already, and just don't really spend money on anything. Hair is my obsession, I can't help it, it makes me feel good to buy stuff, like a little rush or something. I have a problem, :)
    How's My Hair?
    Review: L'Oreal Evercreme Cleansing Conditioner
    Review: Yes To Carrots Nourishing Shampoo & Pampering Conditioner + 35% off at YTC.com

3a-b, fine & medium texture, medium-high porosity from years of damaging. I'm addicted to changing my hair color.
    Cleansing: No-Poo, Elucence MBS, YTC Poo,
    Conditioner: One Condition, JC Too Shea!, YTC Condish, Elucence MBC, Joico Daily, KCKT
    Styling: KCCC, LALPS, BRHG, Biotera Gel
    SMB Photography
    Well, that one gel turned into a new shampoo and conditioner...
    But this stuff is great! It's so moisturizing, too! I realized my hair doesn't like gel too much, actually...
    I might try conditioner styling with some leave-ins I already have.

I'd take the pledge, but I'd also know I was lying. Maybe not intentionally, consciously, but lying nonetheless.

I can't do it, I LOVE buying/trying new products. I don't need them, nor do I have room for them, but I do it anyway.

My hair is really the only thing that I spend money on, I'm not into clothes (tshirt and jeans kinda gal), I don't do nails at all, I have all the makeup that I want already, and just don't really spend money on anything. Hair is my obsession, I can't help it, it makes me feel good to buy stuff, like a little rush or something. I have a problem, :)

+1
    CG since 4/15/12

• RingletTeenLoveRingletTeenLove Posts: 116Registered Users
    I think you should have 2 or 3 shampoo and conditions you can get to rotate.
    2 Leave ins
    2 Gels or Mousses
    3 Oils
    I'm working on that:)
    Well...
    That shampoo and conditioner actually turned out to dry out my hair...
    But instead of returning them, getting the money back, and splurging on even more product, I returned to some I had in my cabinet from a while back and really like them! :)

I'm making progress! I hope, haha

mcheryce wrote: »
    Im ready to pledge but my curlbox and curlkits are already paid for and will be here next month. What should I do?? But I will not buy anymore products until at least September. Curl box/kit already paid for so I guess that doesn't count??
    WE CAN SO THIS! A CHANGE GONE COME!!!

I failed already. Purchased yesterday. Can i re-pledge?

It's almost impossible not to buy, isn't it? I've been tempted many times - especially since my hair has decided to pull some halo frizz nonsense on me of late.

Instead, I pulled all my products out of the cupboard and made a spreadsheet of their ingredients. Totally. Not kidding. How OCD/nerdy is that?

I have to confess..... I "cheated" by ordering samples of Cashmere Curls. Shame on me.

Back on the wagon for you, girl!
    CG since 4/15/12

A mall salon was getting rid of their cd stash and i got 3 hair milk products. Buy 1 get 2 free! Now who could resist that??

Instead, I pulled all my products out of the cupboard and made a spreadsheet of their ingredients. Totally. Not kidding. How OCD/nerdy is that?

Can you come over and do that for me? lol I could use an inventory of what i have sorted by product type. :-)

Can you come over and do that for me? lol I could use an inventory of what i have sorted by product type. :-)

I see a new work-from-home business in the making!! :joker:
    CG since 4/15/12

You probably could. My mom could be your second customer.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file