CurlTalk

IUD

GoddessCurlsGoddessCurls Posts: 1,537Registered Users
Does anyone have lots of experience with them? Cause this is my second paraguard...first one was fine...this one scary heavy bleeding for like 4 days...insane cramps...and the total period length is nuts...like 10 days. Recently I had my period...and adding spotting days in there...I've been bleeding for 2 weeks...by the time I stop it's gonna be that time again. Something has got to give!

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk

Back on Cones,so now my routine is,wash with Deva No-Poo every other day or so. Occasionally use 365 sulfate free,maybe use low sulfate shampoo mixed with conditioner once every two weeks are longer. I condition with Aussie Moist or HEHH. I style with a little GF TN,and finish up with tons of GN Pure Clean Smoothing Cream. No frizz...slippy, happy hair.

Comments

• Gilly07Gilly07 Posts: 95Registered Users
    I had one fitted about 15 years ago and had no dramas with it at all and had it removed after about 5 years as I wanted to explore other options.
    Fast forward to March this year, I thought I would get another one fitted as I was hoping that it would see me through to menopause (I am 51) but I had pain every day from the day it was put in, I was having to use very strong pain killers and due to the pain, my blood pressure went through the roof.
    I put up with it for 2 whole months before admitting defeat and having the damn thing taken out.

Sorry if this is a negative post but at least you know you are not alone!
  • GoddessCurlsGoddessCurls Posts: 1,537Registered Users
    Thanks
    I have been reading online and some are saying that ur body can take quite a few months to a year to settle down from it. I think it hasn't been 6 months yet. I've also read taking vitamin e every other day can cut down on the bleeding and stuff. I don't know what to do if I get it taken out tho...it's so effective...I also didn't really wanna screw with my hormones..and I can't rely on condoms. But if this bleeding doesn't stop I'll have to. I did get some suggestions on here about alternate birth control.

Back on Cones,so now my routine is,wash with Deva No-Poo every other day or so. Occasionally use 365 sulfate free,maybe use low sulfate shampoo mixed with conditioner once every two weeks are longer. I condition with Aussie Moist or HEHH. I style with a little GF TN,and finish up with tons of GN Pure Clean Smoothing Cream. No frizz...slippy, happy hair.
  • curlisue1curlisue1 Posts: 491Registered Users
    I did not get the copper iud because of the issues with it causing heavy bleeding. I was interested in not pumping a bunch of hormones in my body though. My doc said the mirena iud is very low dose so I went that route. I'm on my second one. No problems.
  • Cutie.jensenCutie.jensen Posts: 1Registered Users
    I have had two IUD both paraguard. The first one dispelled itself after 15 months during my period. Then the second one I had after our daughter was born I had for about 5 years. I was having alot of side effects the second time that I had no clue were related to my IUD. Apparently I have copper toxicity from it. I was having severe cramping almost all the time, my hair was falling out, my iron and my thyroid levels were very low, my skin was so drying it was cracking and bleeding mostly on my hands and my moods were erratic :( I had several tests done thinking it was other things and did some research myself. In May this year I had it removed and my OB/GYN said my symptoms would slowly decrease with each period. They have mostly all gone away, even the next day aside from the spotting and cramping I felt ALOT better. I never realized it was my IUD though so when I saw this posted I had to share. I hope yours gets better or you can find an alternate form that will work for you.
    Thanks. I'm gonna dabble with the vitamin e...see if it helps... Otherwise this month I'm gonna have barely more than a week of no period...ugh!!

• EvaCurls333EvaCurls333 Posts: 82Registered Users
    I have the Mirena and like it a lot. My period is regular and light for 2 to 3 days. The only thing I don't like (well my boyfriend) is that he can feel it sometimes when we have sex. It's only certain positions. I went and had it checked out and it is fine. It's bc of him basically. Now that I know it's fine I'm ok. But it is great for a busy mother like myself.
  • goldencurlygoldencurly Posts: 2,385Registered Users
    I have the Mirena and I LOVE it. I only spot about for about 1-2 days every 3 months. It's wonderful! Yes, it has hormones, but it beats having horrible periods which I have always suffered with.
    I'm trying vitamin e for a while...haven't gotten my period yet since...so we'll see if it changes things this cycle

• GoldenBlazeGoldenBlaze Posts: 342Registered Users
    I am on my second mirena. The first insertion I bled for about 2 weeks, the second week just spotting. It took about 2mths to adjust. The second insertion I bled for about a week and it was business as usual. I LOVE IT and it's HIGHLY effective. No bad side effects.
  • Jpop825Jpop825 Posts: 169Registered Users
    Thanks for the info, I'm so glad I saw this post. I've been trying to decide on a new BC all month. Mirena is one of my top picks. Is anyone worried about the IUD implanting or puncturing the uterus? I'm terrified of that, but I'm probably just being crazy

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tdawkins205tdawkins205 Posts: 344Registered Users
    I just had the Mirena placed on 7/5!I had bleeding for one week;along with cramps and back pain.But since that;it seems to be wonderful!No more pain or bleeding.My bf says that he doesn't actually feel it.For me the insertion was the worst of it!But overall I think I'm going to love it!Also the para guard is plastic.It just doesn't contain any hormones.
    Jpop825 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info, I'm so glad I saw this post. I've been trying to decide on a new BC all month. Mirena is one of my top picks. Is anyone worried about the IUD implanting or puncturing the uterus? I'm terrified of that, but I'm probably just being crazy

It's more likely that it WON'T implant than it would. The percentage is very low.
  • mcherycemcheryce Posts: 363Registered Users
    I have the Mirena and I LOVE it. I only spot about for about 1-2 days every 3 months. It's wonderful! Yes, it has hormones, but it beats having horrible periods which I have always suffered with.

+100
  • Jpop825Jpop825 Posts: 169Registered Users

It's more likely that it WON'T implant than it would. The percentage is very low.

Thanks, I know it's 1 in 2000 but I'm nervous. I'm so happy to hear the great experiences here, thanks for the feedback!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You are welcome!
  • Jess the MessJess the Mess Posts: 5,844Registered Users

Thanks, I know it's 1 in 2000 but I'm nervous. I'm so happy to hear the great experiences here, thanks for the feedback!!

I had a paraguard for almost 7 years before there was a problem. It dropped and was irritating my uterus causing mild spotting. I had it pulled. Problem solved. I would get another in a heartbeat if I wanted to go back on BC.
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

I just had the Mirena placed on 7/5!I had bleeding for one week;along with cramps and back pain.But since that;it seems to be wonderful!No more pain or bleeding.My bf says that he doesn't actually feel it.For me the insertion was the worst of it!But overall I think I'm going to love it!Also the para guard is plastic.It just doesn't contain any hormones.

Those were my reasons for getting it...didn't wanna screw with my hormones. I am thinking I'll make an appt with my Gyno...not sure I had one with her since it was inserted a few months ago

@jess
    What were the symptoms of urs dropping? Other than spotting

I don't wanna worry myself over nothing...which I tend to do

• LoloDSMLoloDSM Posts: 3,778Registered Users
    I have had a Paraguard for a year. I almost had it removed in the first few months because I bled all the time with only a few days off. I don't remember how long it took to settle down - four months? No issues since then.
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
    Well...I'm gonna see what this next cycle does. Cause my parter now said he could feel it...it didn't hurt him but he felt like he was hitting something. I'm wondering now if it fell or something.

• Jess the MessJess the Mess Posts: 5,844Registered Users
    No symptoms besides the spotting. I was immediately worried though because I was so regular for 6 years. I was always good about checking it after my cycle, etc. nothing ever felt weird. But it had definitely dropped. Get it checked for your own piece of mind, especially if your partner can feel it.

My fat thumb will make mistakes.
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Yeah....I had been like clockwork for years...I could plan my periods months in advance. I'm gonna have to call my Gyno.

• crimsonshedemoncrimsonshedemon Posts: 2,098Registered Users
    I had a Paragard for 12 yrs then had Mirena inserted and have had it for 3 years. Love it!

Vitamin E- make sure you use the natural form, not the synthetic "alpha" tocopherol form.
    Well...so far with the vitamin e...it's going well. I took vitamin e and this cycle has been much shorter only 2 seriously heavy days...and it's just about gone now...I'm hopeful. Also I have a Gyno appt this month

Ok...got blood work back...severe anemia. From the heavy periods...gotta get some vitamins. Have an appt with Gyno later this month...may need a new kind of birth control

• curlypriyacurlypriya Posts: 223Registered Users
    Pills r d best.. I went thru some complications too bcos of d IUD

Sent from my iPad using CurlTalk
    Hair type-3A/B fine ,dense,normal porosity..
    LOW POO : SM Moisture Retention,TBS Rainforest Moisture shampoo
    NO POO-DevaCurl No poo
    COWASH-Suave coconut,Tressemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture,Vo5 kiwi Lime
    RO -DevaCurl One Condish,Shea moisture condish,Matrix Biolage CB
    LI- AO GVP protein balancing condish,SM thickening Yucca growth milk,SM Shea Butter Leave in
    Stylers - SM smoothie,Aveda Flaxseed Aloe Gel,Eco Styler (Protein and Olive oil),Deva Arc Angel
  • irociroc Posts: 7,890Registered Users
    The Paraguard IUD gave me some negative side effects even though it 'wasnt supposed to.'

My body rejects just about every kind of birth control. I've been using a diaphragm for several months now. I love it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using CurlTalk App
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'd be afraid I'd put it in wrong with the diaphragm. My last paraguard was fine....it's just this one.

• crimsonshedemoncrimsonshedemon Posts: 2,098Registered Users
    I'd be afraid I'd put it in wrong with the diaphragm. My last paraguard was fine....it's just this one.

The Mirena is perfect for me. Small amount of hormone, no periods, no side effects.
    During the month, your cervix moves and sometimes the strings drop lower than normal so that may be what your partner is feeling. As your cervix moves, the strings should disappear.