When someone doesn't pay you back...

BefrizzledBefrizzled Posts: 3,854Registered Users
I sold a concert ticket to a 'friend' in October, and just beforehand she was telling me how great she is with money and how she hates to owe anyone anything and is really on top of things like that... So we went to the concert, no money. She brought it up a little bit later, I reminded her how much it was, ok, she'd get it to me. No money. I asked again, she'd get to me when the semester started... still no money. This is really a pet peeve of mine, because I am actually really good with money and paying people back promptly, and she said she was the same way, and clearly she's not. So now I've lost quite a bit of respect for her (it's not just this situation, she just talks about how she has everything together and is so mature, and she has yet to prove that, since everything I've seen is quite the opposite), but I also don't have my money. I'm a college student. $45 can go a long way for me. I also hate asking, but seeing as she's not going to make any move, I'm going to have to mention it. Again. :evil:

Anyone want to share their stories?
Under construction.

Comments

• CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    I paid for a good part of a friends wedding and never saw the money again. I was supposed to be paid back from the cash gifts, but that money all went elsewhere and after bringing it up for a few months, I figured I would quit while ahead and just drop her!

I still see her every now and then and bring it up, but have since heard is husband is quite openly cheating on her and figure karma has come a knocking :twisted:
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Novice
    I never lend money that I can't afford to lose. That said, it's different when someone is buying something like a ticket from you. I had that happen when a friend asked me to be her date for a wedding. We decided to go in on the wedding gift, but somehow I ended up buying the gift and she never paid me back. :x
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • Ab-starAb-star Posts: 1,128Registered Users
    I never lend money to anyone except my children. And they never pay me back. :lol:
    MY HAIR ALBUM
    pw - jack

Going natural for the summer...just a dab of ArcAngell!
  • roseannadanaroseannadana Posts: 5,633Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Befrizzled wrote:
    I also hate asking, but seeing as she's not going to make any move, I'm going to have to mention it. Again. :evil:

Don't just casually mention it again. Tell her you NEED the money for something. If you're too casual about it, she'll just keep procrastinating.

I was born to be a pessimist. My blood type is B Negative.
  • BefrizzledBefrizzled Posts: 3,854Registered Users
    Befrizzled wrote:
    I also hate asking, but seeing as she's not going to make any move, I'm going to have to mention it. Again. :evil:

Don't just casually mention it again. Tell her you NEED the money for something. If you're too casual about it, she'll just keep procrastinating.

I asked her if she'd have it soon, becaue my mother will try to cover my bookstore bill and I need to get to it before she does.

She said yes she has it, she TOTALLY forgot, she's so sorry, and will cash be ok? I said whatever works for her. Then she said she'd be back in 5, and it's been about an hour (we were talking online). :roll:

I'm going to bed. If I don't have a message left by the time I get up, I'll ask again. I now have an established immediate reason why I need it (false as it is, I left my mom cash to cover my bookstore bill), so I can stay on her without feeling like I'm being annoying, even though I have a right to it.
    Under construction.
  • roseannadanaroseannadana Posts: 5,633Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Befrizzled wrote:
    Then she said she'd be back in 5, and it's been about an hour (we were talking online). :roll:

Maybe she meant five HOURS. :wink: Don't feel bad, you did her a favor and she should pay it back, as promised.

I was born to be a pessimist. My blood type is B Negative.
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    mrspoppers wrote:
    I had that happen when a friend asked me to be her date for a wedding. We decided to go in on the wedding gift, but somehow I ended up buying the gift and she never paid me back. :x

You paid for the gift for her friends wedding? Now thats tacky :shock:
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • godgivenpermgodgivenperm Posts: 678Registered Users
    If she doesn't pay you soon, send her a bill/invoice for it. Seriously, I resorted to this once and got my ticket money.

Good luck, I hope you get your $$!
    3B/3C
    No more PJ tendencies. Tigi Curls Rock Curl Amplifier is the best thing to make my curls rock all day! Next best are KCCC and Re:Coil +HE TT Gel.
    Befrizzled wrote:
    Then she said she'd be back in 5, and it's been about an hour (we were talking online). :roll:

Maybe she meant five HOURS. :wink: Don't feel bad, you did her a favor and she should pay it back, as promised.

New away message: she's going to bed early. S.O.B.
    If she doesn't manage to get me some sort of message by the time I get up at 7:20am, I will send her another message.

GRRRR. :evil:
    Under construction.
  • internetchickinternetchick Posts: 6,191Registered Users
    I never loan out money I can't afford to live without.
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Novice
    mrspoppers wrote:
    I had that happen when a friend asked me to be her date for a wedding. We decided to go in on the wedding gift, but somehow I ended up buying the gift and she never paid me back. :x

You paid for the gift for her friends wedding? Now thats tacky :shock:
    We're not friends anymore. :x
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
    I left a message for her asking her to drop the money off at my office, because I'm going home this weekend and will be all over the place today. We'll see where that gets me.
    Under construction.
  • SaKkehSaKkeh Posts: 986Registered Users
    mrspoppers wrote:
    I never lend money that I can't afford to lose. That said, it's different when someone is buying something like a ticket from you. I had that happen when a friend asked me to be her date for a wedding. We decided to go in on the wedding gift, but somehow I ended up buying the gift and she never paid me back. :x

I have a friend who I have stopped going out with because she expects me to pay for everything. Also, i stopped going shopping with her because as she will try on stuff, knowing full well that she has no money and then put it in my pile when I'm at the cashier. She NEVER pays back and I always end up overspending when I go anywhere with her, with no reimbursement.
    SaKkeh wrote:
    I have a friend who I have stopped going out with because she expects me to pay for everything. Also, i stopped going shopping with her because as she will try on stuff, knowing full well that she has no money and then put it in my pile when I'm at the cashier. She NEVER pays back and I always end up overspending when I go anywhere with her, with no reimbursement.

LOL Thats crazy!!! I have been known to do that though :oops: She does it to me aswell though :lol:
    Audrey Hepburn
  • EfrizzabethEfrizzabeth Posts: 8,792Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't know from who or where I heard this saying, but
    If you lend someone $20 & never see them again, maybe it was worth it.

My son learned this the hard way & he says it WAS worth it! :lol:
  • M2LRM2LR Posts: 8,630Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Send her a letter, that way you have it in writing, or save the IM chats that you guys have...

Tell her that you know it's only $45, but you need it, and if you have to you will file a small claims case.
    :rambo:
  • duckyducky Posts: 927Registered Users

Here's my fun story: I don't loan money either, but when my roommate's rent check bounces two months in a row - I can't really do much about that, since it already came out of my account.

She was having trouble with her mom spending her money, and then was having job issues, so I was all sypathetic until she told me January first that "oh, I won't be able to make rent this month."

She was supposed to have it "in a couple days." Now it's February, she has only paid me $100 of the over $800 that she owes me - she's not on the lease (she was going to sign it once she had the money for the $30 application, and never did) so technically I don't have much recourse.

I'm mostly crossing my fingers and hoping she pays me back before she moves out in May.
  • SuZenSuZen Posts: 1,595Registered Users
    ducky wrote:

Here's my fun story: I don't loan money either, but when my roommate's rent check bounces two months in a row - I can't really do much about that, since it already came out of my account.

She was having trouble with her mom spending her money, and then was having job issues, so I was all sypathetic until she told me January first that "oh, I won't be able to make rent this month."

She was supposed to have it "in a couple days." Now it's February, she has only paid me $100 of the over $800 that she owes me - she's not on the lease (she was going to sign it once she had the money for the $30 application, and never did) so technically I don't have much recourse.

I'm mostly crossing my fingers and hoping she pays me back before she moves out in May.

That stinks! Hope she pays you!

(Guano: my sister lives in Livingston. She used to live in Bozeman.)
  • internetchickinternetchick Posts: 6,191Registered Users
    ducky wrote:

Take her to People's Court!! :lol:
    M2LR & Co. wrote:
    Send her a letter, that way you have it in writing, or save the IM chats that you guys have...

Tell her that you know it's only $45, but you need it, and if you have to you will file a small claims case.

She said she's dropping it off today by 3:30 the latest. I probably won't have time to check in at all today, so I probably won't see it until Monday, thought I may try to grab it so it's not sitting in the mailbox over the weekend.
    Under construction.
  • solangesolange Posts: 2,539Registered Users
    I generally don't loan money/clothes/etc. anymore. If I can't give it to you , then I don't part with it.

If I ever felt compelled to, I would be sure to document it as in a signed/notarized promissary note or writing the word "LOAN" in the memo area of the check.
    3C, BSL Unstretched -

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file