CurlTalk

Dry, Damaged hair. In need of help :/

MeeraMeera Posts: 105Registered Users
Im 18 years old, half pakistani and half black. My mother is the pakistani one, but my hair is almost the complete opposit of hers. Neither one of us have ever really known how to take care of it. As a result, I got relaxers for many years. I've been free of them for two years now, my hair is not as long as it used to be though. It is passed my shoulder. It is dry looking, and feeling. My curls dont even look the same after they dry. I need to really define them somehow, make them want to clump together. I need to make my hair healthier, stronger, and definitely softer. Any tips? advice? PRODUCTS/REMEDIES?? Im in need. Thanks(:

Comments

  • RimiRimi Posts: 2,001Registered Users
    did you still have any of the relaxer in?
    21 y/o lifelong natural {4a-O ; spongy ; coarse ; dense ; MBL stretched}

    products {'poo: TJTTT shampoo | RO: TJTTT Condish | LI/style: TJTTT Condish, homemade cocoa butter cream | DC: condish + ayurvedic powder(s), Aussie 3MMM Treatment | PT: condish + NPF | oils: castor oil, grapeseed oil | other treatments: probiotics, tea rinses, AVG rinse/spritz, oil rinse | sealing method: LC sometimes O}

    long-term: HL stretched, BSL unstretched

    CG-friendly Products List!
  • MeeraMeera Posts: 105Registered Users
    Nope, all of the relaxer is out of my hair now. Its all my natural hair. I just dont know what to do with it as I've never been natural in my adult life.
  • Joce12Joce12 Posts: 35Registered Users
    You should try a protein treatment followed by a deep conditioning treatment. An easy way to do that is crack an egg(you may need more than one) and coat your hair root to tip in it, let it sit for maybe 10-15 minute(some do it longer, but to be on the safe side, and to not dry out your hair more, and only leave it on for a short time until you know if your hair is protein sensitive), then rinse it out with cold water. Once that's done, you can coat you hair root to tip in warmed up oil(extra virgin olive oil and coconut oil are both good options, I prefer coconut because it doesn't have as strong of a smell). Leave that in for about a half an hour and shampoo and condition like you normally would. :)

    That should help some, with both the damage and the dryness. Though I wouldn't suggest doing the protein treatment too regularly, you should do a deep treatment regularly to help with dryness. Some people do one once or twice a week, some only do it once or twice a month. It'll help a lot once you know the properties of you hair. I also put coconut oil on the ends of my hair once they've dried to help soften the ends.

    And if you haven't tried it yet you may want to look into trying the CG method. :) A lot of the method is explained on this site.
  • RimiRimi Posts: 2,001Registered Users
    Meera wrote: »
    Nope, all of the relaxer is out of my hair now. Its all my natural hair. I just dont know what to do with it as I've never been natural in my adult life.

    What are you hair properties? What sort of products do you use?

    NaturallyCurly
    21 y/o lifelong natural {4a-O ; spongy ; coarse ; dense ; MBL stretched}

    products {'poo: TJTTT shampoo | RO: TJTTT Condish | LI/style: TJTTT Condish, homemade cocoa butter cream | DC: condish + ayurvedic powder(s), Aussie 3MMM Treatment | PT: condish + NPF | oils: castor oil, grapeseed oil | other treatments: probiotics, tea rinses, AVG rinse/spritz, oil rinse | sealing method: LC sometimes O}

    long-term: HL stretched, BSL unstretched

    CG-friendly Products List!
  • MeeraMeera Posts: 105Registered Users
    Joce12 wrote: »
    You should try a protein treatment followed by a deep conditioning treatment. An easy way to do that is crack an egg(you may need more than one) and coat your hair root to tip in it, let it sit for maybe 10-15 minute(some do it longer, but to be on the safe side, and to not dry out your hair more, and only leave it on for a short time until you know if your hair is protein sensitive), then rinse it out with cold water. Once that's done, you can coat you hair root to tip in warmed up oil(extra virgin olive oil and coconut oil are both good options, I prefer coconut because it doesn't have as strong of a smell). Leave that in for about a half an hour and shampoo and condition like you normally would. :)

    That should help some, with both the damage and the dryness. Though I wouldn't suggest doing the protein treatment too regularly, you should do a deep treatment regularly to help with dryness. Some people do one once or twice a week, some only do it once or twice a month. It'll help a lot once you know the properties of you hair. I also put coconut oil on the ends of my hair once they've dried to help soften the ends.

    And if you haven't tried it yet you may want to look into trying the CG method. :) A lot of the method is explained on this site.

    Thank you so muchh. Do you use the virgin coconut oil? I've heard that and coconut mil really soften the hair
  • MeeraMeera Posts: 105Registered Users
    Rimi wrote: »
    Meera wrote: »
    Nope, all of the relaxer is out of my hair now. Its all my natural hair. I just dont know what to do with it as I've never been natural in my adult life.

    What are you hair properties? What sort of products do you use?

    NaturallyCurly

    I dont even know, I've never really been all natural. What do you mean by properties? My hair type is 3c, its a little passed my shoulders when curly, BSL when straight. the curls in the back of my hair are not defined at all. I think my hair is highly porous but Im not sure. & I just use garnier products because thats whats in the house.
  • RimiRimi Posts: 2,001Registered Users
    Garnier products contain silicones, which could be contributing to your dryness
    21 y/o lifelong natural {4a-O ; spongy ; coarse ; dense ; MBL stretched}

    products {'poo: TJTTT shampoo | RO: TJTTT Condish | LI/style: TJTTT Condish, homemade cocoa butter cream | DC: condish + ayurvedic powder(s), Aussie 3MMM Treatment | PT: condish + NPF | oils: castor oil, grapeseed oil | other treatments: probiotics, tea rinses, AVG rinse/spritz, oil rinse | sealing method: LC sometimes O}

    long-term: HL stretched, BSL unstretched

    CG-friendly Products List!
  • askmeaskme Posts: 42Registered Users
    I use a good product to avoid the frizz and it has worked pretty good and can help you to repair the damaged hair, it's Pro Naturals Moroccan Argan Oil which is really good, keeps the hair soft, shiny, frizz less and healthy. :D
    If you are interested you can check it out at safrons.com :D :toothy7:
  • earthnutearthnut Posts: 226Registered Users
    My favorite sites for determining hair properties:

    scienceyhairblog.blogspot.com/2012/06/hair-porosity-how-to-measure-sort-of.html

    scienceyhairblog.blogspot.com/2012/06/is-your-hair-fine-medium-or-coarse-how.html

    ---
    2c/3a, M, ii, porous, good elasticity, APL, silvery dark brown.
    Love coconut oil, olive oil, and Everyday Shea!
  • MeeraMeera Posts: 105Registered Users
    askme wrote: »
    I use a good product to avoid the frizz and it has worked pretty good and can help you to repair the damaged hair, it's Pro Naturals Moroccan Argan Oil which is really good, keeps the hair soft, shiny, frizz less and healthy. :D
    If you are interested you can check it out at safrons.com :D :toothy7:

    Yeah my hair gets really frizzy toward the back so I need to work on thatt. My heat damage isnt as severe as I thought though, because all of my hair is curly, none of it has completely lost is curl. The most is that its a little wavy in the middle of my head but still the majority is curly.
  • MeeraMeera Posts: 105Registered Users
    Rimi wrote: »
    Garnier products contain silicones, which could be contributing to your dryness

    Oh okayy, Probably. Thank you so much. Ill look for something without silicones. Any suggestions?
  • RimiRimi Posts: 2,001Registered Users
    I just started a thread with products that are all CG friendly! Most are very affordable and readily available. Have a look!

    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/147483-cg-friendly-product-list.html
    21 y/o lifelong natural {4a-O ; spongy ; coarse ; dense ; MBL stretched}

    products {'poo: TJTTT shampoo | RO: TJTTT Condish | LI/style: TJTTT Condish, homemade cocoa butter cream | DC: condish + ayurvedic powder(s), Aussie 3MMM Treatment | PT: condish + NPF | oils: castor oil, grapeseed oil | other treatments: probiotics, tea rinses, AVG rinse/spritz, oil rinse | sealing method: LC sometimes O}

    long-term: HL stretched, BSL unstretched

    CG-friendly Products List!