Very unusual, has this ever happened to you?

internetchickinternetchick Posts: 6,191Registered Users
Not likely if you had a hospital birth, but maybe. Rarely a child is born in the birth sac, and it has some kind of special meaning. I think it has to do with that child having a sixth sense or something. My water broke during the pushing phase with #1, and was broken for me during pushing with #2. I figured since my water breaks so late in the game I had a good chance so with #3 I asked my midwife if it was safe to let the baby be born in the sac, and if so I wanted it done. My water broke during pushing, so it didn't happen. Just wondering if anyone has actually seen it or had a family member who has. And if you know the meaning behind it please share :D

Comments

• iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    One of my fellow doulas was just telling me she had a birth where the baby was born in the sac! She said it looked really weird--like this alien egg. They had to cut it open to get to the umbilical cord and to suction the baby's face, but the membranes were still clinging to most of the baby's body.

I wish I had been there!

Yeah I've heard that there are a lot of superstitions regarding babies born in the sac. I've heard that it's considered a good omen and also that it means the baby will be psychic.
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • roseannadanaroseannadana Posts: 5,633Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It means good luck and the child will never drown. :wink: I think the technical name is "caul".

The good luck thing is an old wives tale (of course) but many cultures have their own beliefs. For instance, I read that among the Hmong, it means that the baby was a monarch in a previous life!

I was born to be a pessimist. My blood type is B Negative.
  • internetchickinternetchick Posts: 6,191Registered Users
    I hadn't heard the never drown thing, but had heard about being psychic. Caul, I had heard that term but forgot it :oops:
  • Ab-starAb-star Posts: 1,128Registered Users
    I've never heard of any superstitions but I have seen one birthing film where the baby was in the sac. It looked very cool and I was able to visualize what it really looks like to be in the womb.
    MY HAIR ALBUM
    pw - jack

Going natural for the summer...just a dab of ArcAngell!
  • roseannadanaroseannadana Posts: 5,633Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Ab-star wrote:
    I've never heard of any superstitions but I have seen one birthing film where the baby was in the sac. It looked very cool and I was able to visualize what it really looks like to be in the womb.

Awwww Ab-star, what a precious baby in your avatar. muchlove.gif

I was born to be a pessimist. My blood type is B Negative.
    Yes, very cute avatar! :D
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It's called being born "in the caul". I never had a chance...all my labors started with broken water. It would have been my dreambirth though, because I think laboring with a broken bag is more painful than an intact bag.
    ... because I think laboring with a broken bag is more painful than an intact bag.

I have heard that. Since my bag was intact up until the pushing stage with all 3 births I have nothing to compare it to.
  • marielle448marielle448 Posts: 1,823Registered Users
    a lady on my sewing board just had a homebirth for baby #3. He was born membranes intact according to the other member on our board that was her doula.
  • Ab-starAb-star Posts: 1,128Registered Users
    Awwww Ab-star, what a precious baby in your avatar. muchlove.gif

Thanks guys! :D That's my beautiful little granddaughter!
    MY HAIR ALBUM
    pw - jack

Going natural for the summer...just a dab of ArcAngell!
  • fig jamfig jam Posts: 2,555Registered Users
    As others have said, I've heard it called "born with a caul" and that it means the baby will have second sight. I've also heard it means the baby will have good fortune.

Haven't known anyone born this way or who had a baby with this...but with so many members here, I'm sure SOMEONE on here has. I'd be interested to hear about it.
    "Tell me, are you incapable of restraining yourself, or do you take pride in being an insufferable know-it-all?"

"Honey Badger don't care!"
  • three rivers curlythree rivers curly Posts: 994Registered Users
    I hadn't heard the never drown thing, but had heard about being psychic. Caul, I had heard that term but forgot it :oops:

I've also heard the saying, "being born with the veil".
    Better everyone think your a fool, than to open your mouth and prove them right.

Perception is not reality.

http://public.fotki.com/hmiklos
  • SuZenSuZen Posts: 1,595Registered Users
    I have also heard that a baby born "with a caul" will have second sight.

I read a few references I Googled and found that this belief is common in the British Isles, Africa and the Caribbean. Sometimes it's said that a baby with a caul will see ghosts. (Sixth Sense anyone?) And I also saw the belief that the baby will be protected against drowning.
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Posts: 5,297Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My mom was, although I'm confused as to whether she was actually born in the sac, or just with a "veil" over her face. Anyway, she has pretty prophetic dreams. Her mother used to always pay attention when she told her dreams to her b/c she believed they would come true. She woke up one morning and called me because she had dreamt that my first child was going to weigh 6 lbs 2 oz when she was born, and that was EXACTLY what she weighed.
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
  • SuZenSuZen Posts: 1,595Registered Users
    babywavy wrote:
    My mom was, although I'm confused as to whether she was actually born in the sac, or just with a "veil" over her face. Anyway, she has pretty prophetic dreams. Her mother used to always pay attention when she told her dreams to her b/c she believed they would come true. She woke up one morning and called me because she had dreamt that my first child was going to weigh 6 lbs 2 oz when she was born, and that was EXACTLY what she weighed.

If I am understanding the stuff I read, a baby born with a part of the sac, especially over the head or shoulder, is believed to have special powers. Doesn't have to be the whole sac.
  • 2happy2happy Posts: 5,138Registered Users
    I wish I were wise like all you. I've never even heard of such a thing..........I need to get out more.

They broke mine when I was ready to push (which happened fast and nobody was ready). Dinks, I could have a 'gifted' child (who could fore see that I'm going to kick her a$$ if she doesn't get those grades up).
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or hump it.....Piss on it and walk away.
    Location - WI
    SuZen wrote:
    Doesn't have to be the whole sac.

I thought it did. Maybe it depends on who you ask? :lol: These things are passed down so long that I'm sure there are many variations on it.
    SuZen wrote:
    I read a few references I Googled and found that this belief is common in the British Isles, Africa and the Caribbean. Sometimes it's said that a baby with a caul will see ghosts. (Sixth Sense anyone?) And I also saw the belief that the baby will be protected against drowning.

I didn't know the cultural significance of it. I read it the first time in a book about birth, and no mention was made of cultural origins.
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    SuZen wrote:
    babywavy wrote:

If I am understanding the stuff I read, a baby born with a part of the sac, especially over the head or shoulder, is believed to have special powers. Doesn't have to be the whole sac.

That's what I always heard, too, and it is indeed a big thing in African-Caribbean culture. I've never seen it, but my great aunt was said to have been born this way and she did have a sixth sense, knew when people were dying before she was told, etc. and was also saved from drowning when she was young. But come to think of it, all that also happened to my mama and I have never heard that she was born in the sac... maybe she had part of it - I don't remember hearing that.

I think it would be scary to see your child born that way!

The other thing that is considered a big deal in terms of your child being gifted is to be a seventh son of a seventh son. My mama's side has too many girls for that, but my father had a great uncle who was. His name was Septimusso.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file