Do Facials Make Zits Bigger/Redder/More Obvious?

sarasarasarasara Posts: 1,561Registered Users
My skin is in really bad shape these days. Due to me picking and squeezing almost non-existant pimples of course.

It's so bad I'm thinking of having a facial, although I vowed never to have one because it always seemed to make the zits worse. I'm in no mood to make my skin look horrible, especially that I'm having really rough days these days.

So why is it ok for the person who does the facial to pop my zits? They don't turn out to look better when she pops them. And what can I do to pimples that I have squeezed and are now red (thery weren't initially red, just small bumps, not even white- After I would squeeze them the blood would gather and make my face look horriblr. :cry: :cry: :cry:

What to do?

Comments

• EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,391Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I've never had spa treatments, but I believe that they may lance pimples. I wouldn't advise that, but I think it is different from squeezing them. You can always ask them to skip that part.

I think the main component of an anti-acne facial is extractions. I'm not totally sure what that is, though. I guess it's the same effect as using a pore strip--removing any gunk that's trapped in the pores.
  • Resume WriterResume Writer Posts: 645Registered Users
    I would be careful if your face is already irritated; the wrong type of facial can exacerbate the problem.
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,737Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    sarasara wrote:
    So why is it ok for the person who does the facial to pop my zits?

i'm willing to bet that you use your fingernails to pop them when you do it, right?

when the pros do extractions, they use special tools that are much gentler to our skin than we are when trying to take of things ourselves.
    what can I do to pimples that I have squeezed and are now red

ice pack/Visine and yellow-toned concealer that matches your skin EXACTLY!!!
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • avataravatar Posts: 454Registered Users
    Here's a response from my aesthetician friend. She said I could cut and paste her response... (and sorry for the all caps below. that was in her original message)
    ... with the proviso that I'm not looking at her face!!! SO it's a guestimate of someone with a paramedical aesthetics certification, who has post graduate work at The Internatinal Dermal Institute, BUT I AM NOT MAKING ANY RECOMMENDATIONS , JUST VENTURING A GUESS. Here goes...

A facial stimulates the lymph system and OFTEN it accelerates the fruition of blemishes.
    IT DOES NOT "CAUSE" THEM!!!

AN AESTHETICIAN TAKES INTO ACCOUNT THE ANGLE OF THE PORES AND KNOWS WHICH BLEMISHES WOULD BENEFIT FROM "EXTRACTION" WHICH TAKES PLACE IN THE FIRST 8 OR SO LAYERS OF THE SKIN. THE OTHER WHITE "BUMPS" ARE APPROXIMATELY 30 LAYERS UNDER THE SKIN AND ARE MOST LIKELY HORMONAL- PARTICULARLY ON THE CHIN AREA .

We go through 85 hours of Anatomy and Physiology to have the license (in SOME STATES) to penetrate someones skin with a lancet. A Comodone Extractor is allowed in other states and it helps minimize the collateral damage in the area of the blemish.

But the damage caused by trying to"POP" an underground "zit" involves tens of thousands of other cells and causes the inflamation she's experiencing. And the bacteria that enters the skin can do MUCH worse things to her skin- inflamation is one of the 3 root causes of all disease. Then- she has essentially caused a bruising of tissue which causes the wound to fill with blood and discolor. She has to wait it out with the knowledge that she's damaged the skin- for no reason! If underground blemishes persist there is an herbal remedy, but I'd advise her to see a dermatologist JUST TO BE SURE it's nothing else.

A flesh colored bump is FAR less noticeable than a red inflamed area. A new cover -up I really like is made by (gasp!) Mabelline and it's a thin light aqua pencil with Salicylic acid to help heal a (real)topical blemish. Comes in 3 shades and combined with a good mineral make-up is as good a cover as it gets!

P.S. If she is "of color" - the scarring is MUCH WORSE and the damage is usually permanant. The darker the skin the more delicate and easy to mark it is. Shea Butter and Gotu Kola are my favorite skin restoring preparations.

I hope that's helpful.
    "A musician must make music, an artist must paint, a poet must write, if he is to be ultimately at peace with himself." --- Abraham Maslow

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file