Racial Ray?

KCLKCL Posts: 1,663Registered Users
Racial Ray?
Posted Jan 24th 2007 6:00AM by TMZ Staff
Filed under: TV, Oprah

Perky talk show host Rachael Ray made disparaging racial remarks about the woman who gave Ray her big shot at daytime TV -- none other than Oprah Winfrey, according to TMZ sources. It's a shocking account of a dinner that occurred during the period that the show was being sold.

Rewind to December 3, 2005. Ray was at the Century City Shopping Mall in Los Angeles for a book signing. Reps from King World, the production company that was syndicating the show, were shooting the event for its sales presentation.

At around 7:00 PM, Ray, along with seven others, went to Houston's Restaurant in the mall. They sat in a booth in the far right rear of the restaurant. Ray ordered fish and complained to the table it was dry. She was also drinking red wine and lots of it -- one source says a minimum of four big glasses.

We're told Ray became "extremely loud and aggressive," and began dissing Oprah. Sources say she told the group about a portrait of Oprah that sits in the lobby of Harpo Productions in Chicago. It's from the movie "Beloved" and shows Winfrey's back, enhanced with scars. She's also wearing a skirt from the slavery era.

Back at the table, sources say Ray launched into attack mode: "Why is she wearing slave drag? She obviously has problems being black."

But Oprah wasn't Ray's only target. Sources say she told the group how much she liked Jennifer Aniston and then called Brad Pitt a "**** boy." But her harshest comments were reserved for Angelina Jolie, calling her "a skanky, backdoor c**t."

TMZ contacted the Director of Publicity for Rachael Ray, Charlie Dougiello, who said, "Rachael did attend the dinner referenced and enjoyed wine and good conversation with friends and colleagues. She denies making any of the comments referenced. In fact, there are several words that are attributed to Rachael that she has never uttered in her life."

Dougiello added, "Neither in public nor in private has Rachael made a disparaging or cruel remark about her friend and mentor, Oprah, nor a celebrity couple she has never even met."

Dougiello also said, "There were several associates of Rachael's at that table who, unprompted, agreed that Rachael never made any of the comments she is being accused of making... and it seems very convenient that these accusations are being levied at a time when Rachael's success has focused the public eye on her."
If there were more people on earth who desired their own happiness more than the unhappiness of others we would have a paradise ~ Bertrand Russell

Comments

• Aries_jbAries_jb Posts: 1,556Registered Users
    :shock: Then again, there were a lot of people that said it wasn't true, even those who were there.
    www.myspace.com/littlemonkey0403
    3B that is no longer CG, but still endeavors to have healthy hair by not using sulfates.
  • 2happy2happy Posts: 5,138Registered Users
    Anyone who actually watches Rachael would know this is not true. No way.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or hump it.....Piss on it and walk away.
    Location - WI
  • slinky1slinky1 Banned Posts: 1,612Banned Users
    People say things when they're drinking, and RR is a little loose, anyway, so it is possible.

John McCain actually told this joke at a Republican fundraiser during the Clinton administration: "You want to know why Chelsea is so ugly? It is because her father is Janet Reno."

That hasn't hurt him much.

My uncle actually bashed me in front of my mother and other family members while drunk. Drunks are assholes.
    ;)
  • Ab-starAb-star Posts: 1,128Registered Users
    I really don't think that sounds like anything Rachael Ray would do. At least I hope not.
    MY HAIR ALBUM
    pw - jack

Going natural for the summer...just a dab of ArcAngell!
    Yeah, plus she seems to have a good head on her shoulders, and you would have to be a complete dolt to insult Oprah. She knows people and could probably make you disappear :shock: :lol:
    3B that is no longer CG, but still endeavors to have healthy hair by not using sulfates.
  • M2LRM2LR Posts: 8,630Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Aries_jb wrote:
    Yeah, plus she seems to have a good head on her shoulders, and you would have to be a complete dolt to insult Oprah. She knows people and could probably make you disappear :shock: :lol:

:lol:

ITA.
    :rambo:
  • Sweet CurlySweet Curly Posts: 32Registered Users
    Rachel Ray is extremely popular now and people will say or do nearly anything to knock her down. It's typical of people... no one likes someone who is doing well, everyone wants to knock them off the top of the ladder.
    Rachel Ray is extremely popular now and people will say or do nearly anything to knock her down. It's typical of people... no one likes someone who is doing well, everyone wants to knock them off the top of the ladder.

I agree. She's known for being so sweet and likable, so of course people will start rumors that she's not really like that, and what's more unlikable than someone who is a racist lush?
  • ScarletScarlet Posts: 3,125Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    We don't know how "sweet and likeable" she really may or may not be. It could all be a put-on for the show. I mean, who would want to watch a cooking show where the host is a drunk, bigoted ****?
    The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics - Thomas Sowell
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    I'm not buying that story.
  • 2happy2happy Posts: 5,138Registered Users
    Scarlet wrote:
    We don't know how "sweet and likeable" she really may or may not be. It could all be a put-on for the show. I mean, who would want to watch a cooking show where the host is a drunk, bigoted &%$@#!?

Yes we do :D ! That was one of the things Oprah loved about her. She is real and the same person, on camera and off! You couldn't fake being Rachael Ray all the time :wink:
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or hump it.....Piss on it and walk away.
    Location - WI
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    It seems an odd story for someone to make up. I mean, if you just wanted to make up a story about someone being racist, you'd probably just say "she called Oprah the N-word." To have all those details about the picture sounds like SOMEONE thought/said that, whether Rachel or someone else.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• GuardianBGuardianB Posts: 1,905Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    2happy wrote:
    Scarlet wrote:
    We don't know how "sweet and likeable" she really may or may not be. It could all be a put-on for the show. I mean, who would want to watch a cooking show where the host is a drunk, bigoted &%$@#!?

Yes we do :D ! That was one of the things Oprah loved about her. She is real and the same person, on camera and off! You couldn't fake being Rachael Ray all the time :wink:

I hope Rachel Ray doesn't fake it. :(
    ~Two friends, one soul inspired~ anonymous
  • papayahedpapayahed Posts: 1,282Registered Users
    Scarlet wrote:
    I mean, who would want to watch a cooking show where the host is a drunk, bigoted &%$@#!?

except for the bigoted part, it might actually be pretty funny :oops:
    Scarlet wrote:

Even if it is a put on, something like that would be damaging to her public persona, so a such a rumor is a good way to bring her down.

I don't know how true it is or isn't. The people who were there said that she didn't do or say those things, so I might be inclined to believe that. TMZ was the one that said she said those things. Are they are reliable source? Then again, who knows, the people with her could have been covering for her.
  • M2LRM2LR Posts: 8,630Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Has she blamed it on alcohol or drugs yet?

Is she going to rehab?
    :rambo:
  • redheadfullofcurlsredheadfullofcurls Posts: 409Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Aries_jb wrote:
    Scarlet wrote:

Even if it is a put on, something like that would be damaging to her public persona, so a such a rumor is a good way to bring her down.

I don't know how true it is or isn't. The people who were there said that she didn't do or say those things, so I might be inclined to believe that. TMZ was the one that said she said those things. Are they are reliable source? Then again, who knows, the people with her could have been covering for her.

Not so much.. they are about as reliable as US magazine and all the other celebrity gossip crap that is out there.. and I used to buy into all of it.. Don't ask me why I ever cared.. cause I don't know..

I don't waste my time anymore..

Someone mentioned it earlier that it may be true because there are a lot details.. it's sensationalized.. the more details the more people will buy into it.. it's all crap!
    The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it.
    Oscar Wilde
  • sassette726sassette726 Posts: 694Registered Users
    M2LR & Co. wrote:
    Is she going to rehab?

HA! I was just ranting about the new rehab trend. Suddenly it's like a cure-all: Drug problem? Rehab! Daddy issues? Rehab! Racist? Rehab! Keep forgetting to wear panties? Rehab!

It's such crap. Are we really expected to believe that Tara Conner is miraculously cured of alcoholism after 30 flippin' days? Or that Isaiah Washington's homophobia (or at least rampant foot-in-mouth disease) is going to be cured by rehab? Does anyone think Mark Foley is going to want to stop IMing tweens about his manbits after 30 days in a resort clinic? Anybody think Mel Gibson is any less bugnuts crazy now that he's had some share time?

Rehab" is the hot new PR stunt. It's a token gesture that gets you out of the spotlight long enough for the public's microscopic attention span to forget all about you kissing a cloned sheep while painting peanut butter smiley faces all over yourself on the bar of an LA nightclub.

OK. Guano over. :)
    2b copper penny red
    "While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats."

CURRENTLY USING:
    Renpure Moisturizing Shampoo, Body Shop Banana Conditioner, Ouidad Tress Effects GelMy fashion blog:
    http://a-la-mode-2010.blogspot.com/
  • meegsmeegs Posts: 354Registered Users
    papayahed wrote:
    Scarlet wrote:
    I mean, who would want to watch a cooking show where the host is a drunk, bigoted &%$@#!?

Isn't that why Julia Child was so popular for all those years?

Re: the rumor, just doesn't have the ring of truth to me. I'm not saying I put it past RR just because she seems nice on her TV show. Could totally be an act. Just saying this particular account of the alleged incident sounds fishy.

Personally, I think that, if anything, an elaborate level of detail (though this story doesn't seem particularly elaborate to me, but just in general) can indicate a lie just as much as it can indicate the truth. Liars often talk and talk and talk, probably because they're trying to convince themselves just as much as they're trying to convince others.
    2b-ish--embracing my waves this summer
    Aussie Catch the Wave condish, L'Oreal NutriGloss condish; Nexxus Designing Texxtur Cream, Rusk Radical Creme, Pantene Curl Defining Mousse, Paul Mitchell Sculpting Foam; coconut oil for DTs
  • shellibeanshellibean Posts: 4,500Registered Users
    I also think it sounds made up.
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
  • MunchyMunchy Posts: 5,206Registered Users Curl Novice
    meegs wrote:
    papayahed wrote:
    Scarlet wrote:

Isn't that why Julia Child was so popular for all those years?

That's what I was thinking...
  • ScarletScarlet Posts: 3,125Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Oh, I forgot all about Julia Child.
    The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics - Thomas Sowell
  • LAwomanLAwoman Posts: 2,949Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It seems an odd story for someone to make up. I mean, if you just wanted to make up a story about someone being racist, you'd probably just say "she called Oprah the N-word." To have all those details about the picture sounds like SOMEONE thought/said that, whether Rachel or someone else.

Yeah you'd think so --- But there are people out there who vehemently hate this woman (entire sites dedicated to it, actually). So who knows what some crazy person might make up!

Now, I personally can't stand the woman either. And do I think she's a lush -- quite possibly!!? If anyone ever watched her on that horrific, short-lived show "Inside Dish" on Food Network where she "interviewed" celebrities, you'd know that she likes to toss them back(and say some REALLY stupid things when she does)!!

But, despite that, I still do not believe she said these things either... Even if she thought them, I seriously doubt she'd jeopardize her career like that.
    People HATE a cooking show host that severely? Wow. :shock:
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• GuardianBGuardianB Posts: 1,905Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Amneris wrote:

"People" can hate anyone that severely. Military members, local cops, professional actors and singers... It's what some people do.
    ~Two friends, one soul inspired~ anonymous
    GuardianB wrote:
    Amneris wrote:

"People" can hate anyone that severely. Military members, local cops, professional actors and singers... It's what some people do.

Well, "hating" people is one thing (though I think "hate" is such a strong word - but it's one that gets tossed around a lot these days) but making up stories about specific things certain people did or starting websites dedicated to bashing individuals you don't even know seems a little crazy to me....

.png

534Pm5.png

• KCLKCL Posts: 1,663Registered Users
    Amneris wrote:

I hate the show. Well not really hate, just find it hard to watch Racheal in action.
    If there were more people on earth who desired their own happiness more than the unhappiness of others we would have a paradise ~ Bertrand Russell
  • three rivers curlythree rivers curly Posts: 994Registered Users
    I'm not a RR fan - never have been. I don't hate - I think that is a bit strong for someone I can turn off with a button. If she did say it, then I have absolutely no respect for her. Keep your bigotry at home.
    Better everyone think your a fool, than to open your mouth and prove them right.

Perception is not reality.

http://public.fotki.com/hmiklos
  • LucilleLucille Posts: 588Registered Users
    Scarlet wrote:
    Oh, I forgot all about Julia Child.

Wait a minute. Julia Child was a drunken bigot? Or just a drunk?

I have no idea or opinion whether the story about Rachel Ray is true, but it's sad either way. Sad if she said it. Sad if she's wrongly been accused of saying it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file