What is your toddler up to?

j'adorej'adore Registered Users Posts: 1,966 Curl Neophyte
Marley is 16 months old, and she is so much fun! She does so many cute, fun, and smart and crazy
things:

Tries to recite the alphabet. She is up to "D". "aybeeceedee...."

Has an ever growing vocabulary:

Balloon
Ball
Cracker
Cookie
"That's mommy!"
"That's daddy!"
Baby
Bye-bye
Thank You

Knocks on all doors
Protests when I don't put her favorite shoes on her
Flirts shamelessly when she sees a little boy
Throws all sorts of things into the trash can or laundry hamper. (If anything turns up missing, its usually in there).

What is your little one doing that makes you smile/proud?
"Don't play me...I'm over 30, and I don't smoke weed"
-Prince

catcatadr20050914_-8_Marley+is.png

Comments

• DarkAngelDarkAngel Registered Users Posts: 2,671 Curl Neophyte
    Xander's 15 months old. There actually isn't much good new stuff going on with him.

Apparently he has gained one pound in 6 months and none in 3. Now we have to stuff him to fatten him up. I am not entirely convinced that the doctor's scale was accurate so I am going to take him back in a week or so for a re-check.

Not many words but he will finally do a few signs and made up one of his own to let me know when he doesn't want what I am offering.

Despite knowing how to walk for months, he just decided (this week) that walking is far cooler than crawling so I can finally officially say I have a walker.

Got a new tooth in yesterday. Tooth 4. At this rate, we will have a full set by age 5 or so.

Hates closed doors. Can turn the knobs and open them if he's lucky.
    Tries to put his shoes on. Emphasis on -tries-.
    Plays in the toilet.
    Plays in the trash.
    Drinks like a civilized person when offered a straw.
    Can feed himself with a spoon. It's very messy but he can do it when patient.
    Realized that pointing the remote at the TV makes it come on. He will just randomly point at it and throw a fit when it doesn't come on. No worries though, he will then walk to the TV and turn it on manually.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • j'adorej'adore Registered Users Posts: 1,966 Curl Neophyte
    DarkAngel wrote:
    Realized that pointing the remote at the TV makes it come on. He will just randomly point at it and throw a fit when it doesn't come on. No worries though, he will then walk to the TV and turn it on manually.

Too cute.
    -Prince

j'adore wrote:
    DarkAngel wrote:

Too cute.

It's even funnier when you consider that he doesn't like to watch tv. He just likes to turn it on and off. :x

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
    DarkAngel wrote:
    j'adore wrote:
    DarkAngel wrote:

Too cute.

It's even funnier when you consider that he doesn't like to watch tv. He just likes to turn it on and off. :x

Marley loves to watch her Sesame Street DVDs....but she also loves to press buttons on the DVD player....and try to shove 2 or 3 discs into the machine at once.
    -Prince

j'adore wrote:

Marley loves to watch her Sesame Street DVDs....but she also loves to press buttons on the DVD player....and try to shove 2 or 3 discs into the machine at once.

Do you have a cover for the DVD player? We bought one for our DVR box and still need to go back to get one for the TV.

Oh wow! Didn't know about these!
    -Prince

• mad scientistmad scientist Registered Users Posts: 3,530 Curl Neophyte
    I think Xander and Karan are clones! I thought he was the only one with a remote control fetish. If we got to anyone else's home, the first thing he does is "make friends" with their remote control. Its so embarassing because he acts like a total tv-o-holic when in reality he doesn't watch any tv at all. He just turns it on and off all day. Oh, and we have a small barricade of ottomans and coffee tables blocking direct access to the tv buttons....

Otherwise, Karan is 16 months old and getting very VERY opinionated. He will push and pull you to wherever he wants you to be. He has become a frustratingly picky eater and like Xander is also shrinking (he's 23.5 lbs which is less than he was at 12 months). He can drink from a straw but would much rather drink from his beloved "Bot" or pour his water all over the floor.

A constant stream of noise comes out of his mouth, but surprisingly few actual words: "Baba" (Dad) "Daadi" (Grandma) "book", "bot" and his new favorite word "coo-KAH" for his new favorite discovery (cookies!).

• wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Registered Users Posts: 1,814
    16 months is such a fun age! Kennedy turned 16 months yesterday. She's figured out that everyone loves a clown - and she's become one.

Her vocabulary grows daily -
    HER FAVORITE WORD IS NOOOOOOO!
    Ball
    Balloon
    Please
    Thank you
    Mom and Dad
    granma and granpa
    ashee (for cousin ashlee)
    nt (for cousin Nat)
    up and down
    out and in
    a-b-c-....
    duck and quack
    dog and cat
    juice
    nana (nurse)
    more
    cracker
    hat
    Dora (for dora the explorer)
    backpack
    book (and her favorite book - Babycakes)
    ----I can't keep count of them all - we are writing them down & making a book for her to "read".

She loves
    to close doors,
    sit on her pottie (no connection to actually using it),
    pouring water,
    using a straw,
    using the remote (AND asking for her favorite ON DEMAND videos), acting like she's DORA the explorer with her backpack,
    making herself laugh,
    picking up the phone and having a conversation with no one - hello, yeah, ok, fine, bye-bye (give her the phone to talk to a real person, and she's mute!),
    swinging and climbing and sliding at the playground (wants to climb the high slides - child has no fear)
    eating with spoon and fork (MESSY!)
    eating in her booster seat
    "reading"
    putting anything on her head and calling it a "hat" (boxes, plates and bowls, anything)
    "putting on her clothes" with help from mommy
    taking off her shoes, bringing mommy her shoes, putting mommy's shoes on her feet
    SINGING - all day long. She loves Laurie Berkner and the song We are the Dinosaurs.

putting on her coat and hat and "GO-ING"outside:

wintercoat.jpg
    I'm sure there's more. I'll keep adding as I think of other cool things she does ....
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
    http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/wavezncurlz/hair/
    password: curlzorwavez
  • iris427iris427 Registered Users Posts: 6,002
    Look at those curls! :D

All these cuties--y'all are making me want a baby :x :)
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
    I forgot one funny little thing. He spends all day mocking his Daddy saying "no". He even makes his little voice deeper and drags it out just like Jesse.

DarkAngel wrote:
    I forgot one funny little thing. He spends all day mocking his Daddy saying "no". He even makes his little voice deeper and drags it out just like Jesse.

OMG, that is TOO CUTE!

And I am convinced that Marley and Kennedy are clones! They remind me of each other, with those curls and those big smiles! It seems that they behave a lot alike too.
    -Prince

And I am convinced that Marley and Kennedy are clones! They remind me of each other, with those curls and those big smiles! It seems that they behave a lot alike too

Funny, I didn't want to say it but I was thinking the same thing. They definitely remind me of each other (appearance and behavior)! :) Silly girls! If we ever make it out your way, I definitely would love to meet both of you. :D
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

And I am convinced that Marley and Kennedy are clones! They remind me of each other, with those curls and those big smiles! It seems that they behave a lot alike too

Funny, I didn't want to say it but I was thinking the same thing. They definitely remind me of each other (appearance and behavior)! :) Silly girls! If we ever make it out your way, I definitely would love to meet both of you. :D

I've been thinking that for awhile, too. :lol: We do have to manifest a way to cross paths. Our two girls would have a BLAST. :wink:
    -Prince

• AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
    Oh my, wavezncurlz, Kennedy is absolutely GORGEOUS! J'adore, I wish your pics of Marley would have shown up for me so I could see her too!
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

Amneris wrote:
    Oh my, wavezncurlz, Kennedy is absolutely GORGEOUS! J'adore, I wish your pics of Marley would have shown up for me so I could see her too!

Amneris,
    Thank you! For a long time I've wanted to tell you that your avatar reminds me of my and Kennedy's hair when we wake up in the morning! :)
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

• AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
    Amneris wrote:

Amneris,
    Thank you! For a long time I've wanted to tell you that your avatar reminds me of my and Kennedy's hair when we wake up in the morning! :)

Yeah, I think it was my morning hair coming out of a braid. Kennedy does have a familial look to me - I would not be surprised to have a daughter with a similar look.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

Amneris wrote:
    Amneris wrote:

Amneris,

Yeah, I think it was my morning hair coming out of a braid. Kennedy does have a familial look to me - I would not be surprised to have a daughter with a similar look.
    yep - we'll see soon huh! :)
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

Xander had a weight check on Tuesday. He is now 24lbs and 5 ounces. Since he could not have put on 4 pounds in 4 weeks, we now know that the last weight we were given was way wrong. He's still not a big guy but at least he is gaining weight consistently.

• Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Registered Users Posts: 5,297 Curl Neophyte
    What is my toddler up to? Well, she tells me to do things "Now", when I tell her to do something she'll say "Fine" and then when I tell her "no fine", she says "whatever mommy".

So that's what we're working on now. What are naughty words, and what she shouldn't say. So now when dh and I say for her to do something "now" she'll say "no now, those are NAUGHTY WORDS!".

Ah, good luck to those whose children are coming into 2's and 3's. I'm like, is this kid 2 or is she 12? :lol:
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
    DarkAngel wrote:
    Xander had a weight check on Tuesday. He is now 24lbs and 5 ounces. Since he could not have put on 4 pounds in 4 weeks, we now know that the last weight we were given was way wrong. He's still not a big guy but at least he is gaining weight consistently.
    I know this makes you feel better!

KD is now walking around in my slippers - attempting not to fall.
    She's also into clothes now. We have such cute handme downs from 24 months to 5T that I'll never have to shop again in life. She loves trying on clothes and says "cute?" "pretty?" "good?" and points to the character or picture on the clothes. I really tried to keep her modest...I've created a monster.
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

• cosmicflycosmicfly Registered Users Posts: 1,814
    Babywavy, we're working on naughty words, too. Maya's 25 months old. When she say's "no", I just say, "yes, mama". She will either repeat me or say "poo poo mama", which we are also trying to eliminate :lol:
    cosmicfly wrote:
    Babywavy, we're working on naughty words, too. Maya's 25 months old. When she say's "no", I just say, "yes, mama". She will either repeat me or say "poo poo mama", which we are also trying to eliminate :lol:

oh joy...I can't wait. KD will be 17 months next week...
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

• Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Registered Users Posts: 5,297 Curl Neophyte
    cosmicfly wrote:

Haha - ya, it's interesting. We've also had experiences with her making the "puh" sound, or even giving me the occasional raspberry when she doesn't like what I say - both of which make me practically lunge at her.

And she is 29 months, so you sound right on schedule.

On the up side, she will come up to me and crawl on my lap and give me huge hugs and kisses several times throughout the day. And she'll randomly say "I love you momma", or "I miss you momma".

I can almost see the little devil and angel sitting on each of her shoulders. :lol:

babywavy wrote:
    Haha - ya, it's interesting. We've also had experiences with her making the "puh" sound, or even giving me the occasional raspberry when she doesn't like what I say - both of which make me practically lunge at her.
    :lol:

Oh, isn't that positively evil! Sometimes I just want to do it back :P .

Maya has the added bonus of having an older brother, so she has picked up some choice words from him (like stupid, which I'm sure he didn't say until after he was 3 and it was easier to teach him some self control).

She is a really sweet baby, though. She says "I love mama." Last night we were visiting my friend who has a rabbit, and she couldn't stop talking about it- when she woke up this morning, she said, "I love that rabbit, mama".
    And she apparently doesn't behave this way at daycare, so she must know home is the place to get it out.
  • mad scientistmad scientist Registered Users Posts: 3,530 Curl Neophyte
    Is there a volume switch on this child?

Is anyone else dealing with a very LOUD toddler? Karan loves to scream and yell, especially in our cavernous front foyer (high ceilings). You can literally feel the air whoosh past your ears if you stand too close to him. And an entire airplane full of people were treated to his glass shattering squeals last weekend as we flew to LA and back.

I just keep repeating "We don't yell in this house" and ignore him if he's yelling because he wants something. But I don't think he's getting the message.

ETA: he's 16 months old, in case anyone has any advice!

Neither one of my kids came with a volume switch, they had to be installed :lol: .

For my kids, "we don't [insert behavior]" is an invitation to do whatever it is with even more gusto. What I have tried is saying "quiet voice" in a really quiet voice. When I worked in a therapeutic nursery, our director would often hold her hands over her ears in response to a loud child and say, "that's loud, it hurts my ears". (Many kids, though, will respond to that for a teacher, but for their parent they think it's funny).
    So apparently my child has decided to revert back into her temper tantrum phase of 18 months, now that she's 29 months - and i think it has to do with potty training.

This child is SUCH a control freak (just like her mother) and it's not working well having both of us needing to be in control!!

I'm having to remind myself of how I handled the situation back when she was doing the tantrums before so we can head them off at the pass - or I can walk away and ignore them when it's too late and she's already set off.

So much FUN!

• marielle448marielle448 Registered Users Posts: 1,823
    madscientist - we've got two that bounce the shrieks off each other. Ian had totally outgrown (or forgotten) the shrieking but then Ryan has discovered his voice. You should see my little shrimp of a bald one year old walking around the house with both arms extended testing the acoustic qualities of all our rooms and giggling when big brother serves as the echo.

I basically spend all day saying, "there is no shrieking/banging/screaming/tapping/insert repetetive annoying behaviro here in this house". Can you tell I'm annoyed by repetetive noise? Also reminding Ian that Ryan has no words yet (he signs) so while he will scream for a while and not understand, "inside voice" just yet we need to show him by example. Most times it works other days we head outside LOL.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file