CurlTalk

You don't need to spend a fortune for good curly hair!!!!

I, like probably many of you, have spent a lifetime trying to figure out how to make my curly hair look and feel good. Sooo much time, sooo much effort, and SOOOO much money!!!
The worst part is when you THINK you have finally found a routine that works...and then 2 days later it turns to crap:(
Well I am here to tell you not to give up! I have bought so many expensive products- kinky curly, devacurl, etc...all to meet to same fate- being shoved into my bathroom drawer after their failure, waiting for the next time I try them again.

Finally, after nothing but years and years of trial and error I have discovered that all I needed to spend was $6 on my routine! I have discovered that the only styling products my hair needs to look and feel great are garner fructose triple nutrition conditioner- as a leave in- and Aussie catch the wave mouse- both applied on damp hair and then let air dry!! Hallelujah!!!
So my message to you is don't give up- and especially not on drugstore products! Plus, gel is not for everyone:)

3a, s curly, fine hair that hates sulfates, silicones, and Protiens!

I have finally found affordable and attractive contentment using:

Shampoo- l'oreal eversleek reparative smoothing shampoo
Conditioners- garnier fructis triple condition and l'oreal eversleek reparative smoothing conditioner
ACV weekly
Leavin products for damp hair- same garner conditioner and Aussie catch the wave mousse
Hair that freely borrows from 3a/ 3b texture schools. These are the things I use to care for it:
  • Apple Cider Vinegar rinses weekly
  • shampoos occasionally that do not contain sulfates
  • conditioners without silicones or proteins (or so I think- Keratin seems to do ok)
  • Flour sack towel
And I dont even know what else right now...thinking I may need to drop gels altogether...

Currently have Shea Moisture and DevaCurl products that I may just need to give up on and cut as a loss...

Comments

• earthnutearthnut Posts: 226Registered Users
    I agree ! I've started with the cheapest products, and a simple routine (just conditioner to start) and will move up in price and complexity only as the current products fail. I'm already seeing major improvement with a homemade gelatin protein treatment, coconut oil deep conditioning, and everyday shea conditioner (after suave and natures gate didn't work for me). Not much money spent so far, and I don't expect to ever pay for the fancy brands. (though I may try kinky curly at some point) I figure people had fabulous hair in the past with less resources, and I can too.

I've made price comparisons of cg friendly products here: /home/leaving?target=https%3A%2F%2Fdocs.google.com%2Fspreadsheet%2Fccc%3Fkey%3D0AojS7E2gXDbndEE1MUdlNDliU3VXbEVwUjNVSnY0N1E" class="Popup These lists are not conclusive though.

---
    2cMii, porous, good elasticity, APL, dark brown with a silver lining.
    Love coconut oil, olive oil, and Everyday Shea!
    HGs are simple, natural, and destroy frizzzz!!
  • summersOVERsummersOVER Posts: 82Registered Users
    Awesome! I wish all if us could be as wise! I just has a realization one day that my hair used to look better before I became so obsessed with it:)

Conditioners- garnier fructis triple condition and l'oreal eversleek reparative smoothing conditioner
    ACV
    Shea moisture curl&style milk and curl enhancing smoothie
    Hair that freely borrows from 3a/ 3b texture schools. These are the things I use to care for it:
    • conditioners without silicones or proteins (or so I think- Keratin seems to do ok)
    • Flour sack towel
    And I dont even know what else right now...thinking I may need to drop gels altogether...

Currently have Shea Moisture and DevaCurl products that I may just need to give up on and cut as a loss...
    P.s. that link didn't work for me :(

ACV
    • Flour sack towel

• SaraNoHSaraNoH Posts: 827Registered Users

Finally, after nothing but years and years of trial and error I have discovered that all I needed to spend was $6 on my routine! I have discovered that the only styling products my hair needs to look and feel great are garner fructose triple nutrition conditioner- as a leave in- and Aussie catch the wave mouse- both applied on damp hair and then let air dry!! Hallelujah!!!

Lol, fructose... jk

GFTN was reformulated and now as the a-cone in it, non water soluble I believe. You mention that your hair hates silicones, so I'd keep an eye on that one. But if it's working for you keep at it.
    CG Birthday: 7/25/11
    Type 3a/2c
    Dense, Fine in front Coarse in back, Low porosity
    Low-Poo: SM Moisture Retention Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Tresemme Naturals
    Leave In: ^^^^
    Stylers: AIF, Natural Silks Curly Gel
    *Desert Curly*
  • dresdendolldresdendoll Posts: 435Registered Users
    Awesome! I found that the routine my hair loves the most may be under $10! It's Herbal Essences Hello Hydration Shampoo, HE HH Conditioner, and Suave Professionals Mousse. However, these contain sulfates and cones...and my stylist would be ashamed :/

There's a sale going on at Ulta for AG and Abba, so I might get those sulfate free shampoos...
    Eh. I don't know. I just want healthy hair...but the stuff that makes it look good isn't healthy :(
    2c/2b with some 2a, coarse, dense, thick, low porosity
    Growing out a CL bob. Currently at APL.
    CG again as of 7/20/12 :laughing5:

Cleanser: BRÖÖ Smoothing I.P.A. Shampoo
    RO: Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Conditioner
    LI: Kinky-Curly Knot Today
    Styler: Beautiful Curls Gel for Wavy to Curly Hair

:love4: all-natural products, light moisture, humectants, argan oil
    :pukeright:silk protein, synthetic ingredients, heavy oils/products, cowashing
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 8,424Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    It's a great feeling to find a routine and products that work so well, isn't it?

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
    Noooooo!!! Why do products get reformulated?!?! Well I guess we will see...

ACV
    • Flour sack towel

I just got tresemme naturals vibrantly smooth conditioner to replace the garnier fructis...hope this works...and thanks so much for the tip...now I can avoid disappointment and not even open the bottle before I return it:)
    • Flour sack towel

• BlackAngelPlayahBlackAngelPlayah Posts: 1,419Registered Users
    I love my lil $6 gel. 32 oz jar, super moisturizing (though it can.. And WILL!!!- get sticky.) and defines so well. It's not fickle, doesn't flake or turn white (unless you use white products with it i.e. Creams, excess conditioner as a leave in, because it's water based.), is really a stand alone product, water soluble. It can LITERALLY be just rinsed out!

I can go on forever. :)

Anyway, it's awesome when what works is cheap, on the ground, AND basically natural! :D

😜🍸Sent LIVE from my JPhone 4s using some CurlTalk app. 😜🍸

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2FAfroCurls.wordpress.com" class="Popup
    :afro:FroZen:afro:
  • ReddishRocksReddishRocks Posts: 779Registered Users
    I totally agree. If I total up what I spend on my current routine:

• Suave condish - $1
    • Sally's GVP Conditioning Balm - $6
    • Lustrasilk Olive Oil Cholesterol - $2.50
    • Max Green Alchemy Gel (the most expensive part) - $13
    • Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee (I'm on my second bottle in 4 years...) - $10
    That's a grand total of $32.50. I go through the Suave pretty frequently, and the Conditioning Balm, Lustrasilk, and Max gel last me maybe 3-4 months at my current length (off the shoulder).

I'll say I wash my hair 3 times per week... often less, but let's make the math easy and say 3 washes times about 50 weeks per year = 150 washes. Divide by 3 months (for each time I have to replenish most of my products), and we're back to 50 washes. I won't factor in the Suave or the Biosilk as I suppose they sort of cancel each other out, so $21.50 divided by 50...

PER WASH TOTAL: $0.43

(Where my geeks at? ;D )

17May09GlenEyriecrop-1.jpg

Hair is best when wabi-sabi.
    2b/2c at this length, more 3a when shorter
    M/C ii

Mod CG: Sept 08
    Using: Suave co-wash, GVP Conditioning Balm, Lustrasilk OOC, MGA, BRHG
    Humectants: @ dew point 40+
    My blog for dry climate curlies and growing out a pixie: Colorado Curly
  • proudcurlygirlyproudcurlygirly Posts: 478Registered Users
    ;)Another fellow curly on a budget here! I don't spend loads of money on my hair products (as I don't have lots of cash to spend in the first place:laughing1:,) but I've found some good staple products that work and are reasonably priced too. I'm always looking for offers, like my curl jelly, which is sometimes 3 for the price of 2 etc. Everyone loves a good bargain!:thumbleft:
    :icon_smile: UK Curly
    Curl type : Boticelli, 3a, loose curls
    Porosity : High
    Texture : Fine/medium (I think!)
    Co-wash/rinse out/leave in : L'oreal Full Restore 5, GFR&S, Schwarzkopf Bio Pomegranite
    Gels : Umberto Giannini Flirty Curls Scrunching Jelly
    Finish product : Boots Naked Style Frizz Fighter Serum or a pea-sized blob of condish smoothed over canopy
    CG since Feb 2011
  • Jas76Jas76 Posts: 2,283Registered Users
    Budget curly here, as well!! :). All drugstore or Sally's!

Just FYI, several people have said Renpure's new Argan oil conditioner is the closest comparison to GFTN. I stocked up on GFTN's old formula once I heard about the reformulation, so I haven't yet tried it myself.
    2c/3a/3b, Fine/med, Dense, high porous, & normal elas.

Lo-poo - Renpure Keratin, SMR, Giovanni SaS
    clarifying - mix Johnson's H2T with low poo
    Co-wash - Suave Nats. clar. or coco.
    RO - GVPCB, Ion Eff. Care, TN.
    LI - SMR, Cure Care, or RO
    Seal - MO or Jojoba
    DT - + honey, ACV, & EVOO to SM masque & GVPCB
    PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
    Styling - FSG, AIF, BRHG, LALS/PS, GF curl spray gel, SM Souffle/Smoothie, LOOB
    Oils - MO!, EVOO, jojoba, GSO, SM Elixer, EVCO, VO5 Hairdressing
    Thanks for the tip:)

Conditioner- GVP conditioning balm
    ACV weekly

Products- tresemme naturals vibrantly smooth conditioner as leave-in and Aussie catch the wave mousse- both on damp hair
    Millcreek Botanicals jojoba conditioner weekly
    • Flour sack towel

Ick...I do NOT like this tresemme one! I'm gonna return it today...where can I get that argon oil one?

ACV weekly

Products- tresemme naturals vibrantly smooth conditioner as leave-in and Aussie catch the wave mousse- both on damp hair
    • Flour sack towel

I couldn't find the argon oil one at ulta or Sally's so I just got good old suave naturals coconut to try as my leave in...here's to hoping!!!!!!

ACV weekly

Products- suave naturals coconut conditioner as leave-in and Aussie catch the wave mousse- both on damp hair
    • Flour sack towel

• Jas76Jas76 Posts: 2,283Registered Users
    I haven't found it anywhere local - though I can't say I've looked that hard, since I still have some GFTN left!

I did see that drugstore.com has it, tho! Not sure if Walgreens or CVS's websites have them or not.
    2c/3a/3b, Fine/med, Dense, high porous, & normal elas.

Lo-poo - Renpure Keratin, SMR, Giovanni SaS
    clarifying - mix Johnson's H2T with low poo
    Co-wash - Suave Nats. clar. or coco.
    RO - GVPCB, Ion Eff. Care, TN.
    LI - SMR, Cure Care, or RO
    Seal - MO or Jojoba
    DT - + honey, ACV, & EVOO to SM masque & GVPCB
    PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
    Styling - FSG, AIF, BRHG, LALS/PS, GF curl spray gel, SM Souffle/Smoothie, LOOB
    Oils - MO!, EVOO, jojoba, GSO, SM Elixer, EVCO, VO5 Hairdressing
  • dresdendolldresdendoll Posts: 435Registered Users
    If it helps, the Renpure Argan is available at CVS, I think. I saw it there a while back. I just bought, though, a 33 oz thing of AG Sleek Argan Conditioner, which is saving 60% or 70% because it's salon brand :D There's a sale going on at Ulta, and AG makes a sulfate-free Argan Shampoo, too. (Just food for thought)
    2c/2b with some 2a, coarse, dense, thick, low porosity
    Growing out a CL bob. Currently at APL.
    CG again as of 7/20/12 :laughing5:

Cleanser: BRÖÖ Smoothing I.P.A. Shampoo
    RO: Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Conditioner
    LI: Kinky-Curly Knot Today
    Styler: Beautiful Curls Gel for Wavy to Curly Hair

:love4: all-natural products, light moisture, humectants, argan oil
    :pukeright:silk protein, synthetic ingredients, heavy oils/products, cowashing
  • earthnutearthnut Posts: 226Registered Users
    P.s. that link didn't work for me :(

Thanks for letting me know! I made sure I was signed out of google and it worked for me, so I don't know what the problem is... What do you see?

---
    2c (3a potential?), M, ii, porous, good elasticity, APL, dark brown with a silver lining.
    Love coconut oil, olive oil, and Everyday Shea!
    HGs are simple, natural, and destroy frizzzz!!
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,255Registered Users
    I can only find the Renpure at Rite-Aid in my town, but Renpure's where to buy page is here. They sell it on their website too.
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
  • SaraNoHSaraNoH Posts: 827Registered Users
    I couldn't find the argon oil one at ulta or Sally's so I just got good old suave naturals coconut to try as my leave in...here's to hoping!!!!!!

You could try Giovanni Direct Leave In. I looooove that stuff (it's so light) and it's only about $8.
    CG Birthday: 7/25/11
    Type 3a/2c
    Dense, Fine in front Coarse in back, Low porosity
    Low-Poo: SM Moisture Retention Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Tresemme Naturals
    Leave In: ^^^^
    Stylers: AIF, Natural Silks Curly Gel
    *Desert Curly*
    Oh perfect...thanks! I will have to get some at right aid when my suave runs out:)

ACV weekly

Products- suave naturals coconut conditioner as leave-in and Aussie catch the wave mousse- both on damp hair
    • Flour sack towel

P.s. that page still wouldn't open for me as per "problem with the server"...although I've only tried on my phone

ACV weekly

• Flour sack towel

• kristen.nickkristen.nick Posts: 37Registered Users
    I use mostly drug store products as well, although one exception I have found to this is Curl Junkie. Their products truly are amazing! It doesn't mean I don't get sucked it on occasion by an expensive product. I'm just usually disappointed in it. I'm amazed how they aren't usually any better.
    Hair: 3A, fine, normal porosity and elasticity
    My hair loves protein, especially keratin! It hates coconut oil and all butters.
    Low-poo: MOP-C Hydrating Shampoo, Renpure Moisturizing Shampoo
    Co-wash: Giovanni 50/50 & Smooth as Silk, Tresemme Naturals, NG Pomegranate & Sunflower
    RO: TIGI MM, GVPCB
    LI: KKKT, SM Curl Style Milk
    PT: Mill Creek Biotin Conditioner
    DT: CJ CR
    Styler: CJ CCCL, CJ CIAB, LALSG, LAL Nutra Curl, Biotera Gel, Ecostyler Grip Gel
    Seriously???!?!?!?
    After a lifetime I spending god-awful amounts of time, effort, and money trying to find the perfect styling products for my hair...I have found that ALL I need is Suave Naturals tropical coconut conditioner!!! As rinse out and leave in!!! I do need to use a more moisturizing rinse out a few times a week, but still!
    I am thrilled!!! At least now I know!!!!

3a, s curly, fine hair that hates sulfates, silicones, and Proteins (except for keratin occasionally)!

I have finally found extremely affordable and attractive contentment using:
    Daily- suave naturals coconut conditioner as was out and leave-in...this is seriously ALL I use!!!!
    Occasionally (1-2 times/week)
    Conditioners- GVP conditioning balm and Millcreek Botanicals jojoba conditioner
    ACV
    Aussie catch the wave mousse
    • Flour sack towel

• auntcurlyauntcurly Posts: 234Registered Users
    Love this topic. I just posted on the 4a board about my new cheap best friends: L.A. Looks Polish Perfect mixed with Garnier Fructis Pure & Clean Smoothing Cream, 50:50 ratio. The result is a very creamy curl pudding.

I used it after moisturizing, then applied a bit of fsg to distribute the product and for hold. Then I braided my hair.

The result was impressive: defined, smooth, hair.

The Polish Perfect in particular, seems to mix well with creamy products. So if you have it and it's not working try mixing it with something.

The best part: both are cheap and available on the ground. If they keep working I will repurchase. In the meantime, I'm using this stuff up.... finally.
  • rainboerainboe Posts: 284Registered Users
    Almost all my products are drugstore products. I use the gelatin protein treatment that AIgirl posted in the 2 board, Yes to Carrots Conditioner, and the Shea Moisture line. My hair loves it!
    Fine Texture, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity. Dyed to brown a few months ago.
    Lowpoo: Trader Joe's TTT Shampoo
    Rinse Out:
    Yes to Carrots, AOHR, Aubrey Organics Rosemary Peppermint
    LI: Yes to Carrots
    Stylers: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie, LA Looks Sports, Suave Professionals Captivating Curls Whipped Mousse