SCARY thing happened with my dog

Ab-starAb-star Posts: 1,128Registered Users
Look at my baby. Isn't he the most precious thing??

eed3caa3.jpg

This afternoon a red tailed hawk swooped down and tried to get my dog! :shock: My husband had him out in the backyard letting him run around and while he was innocently chewing on a stick (dog, not husband) this huge bird came out of nowhere. Hubby said it startled him and THANK GOODNESS the bird must have decided Jack (dog) was too big for his taste.

We do not live out in the country so I guess this can happen anywhere. We've seen a couple of hawks before but they've never gotten this close. Is this just a freak thing or has anyone ever heard of this happening before?

I don't want to ever take my baby outside again!
MY HAIR ALBUM
pw - jack

Going natural for the summer...just a dab of ArcAngell!

Comments

• CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    :shock: :shock: :shock:

Sorry, I have 2 Rottis.....no birds are messing with them :lol:
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • gekko422gekko422 Posts: 4,869Registered Users
    My dog Millie isn't that small, but I still keep an eye out if we are at the dog park alone and there are hawks circling. They will take a dog, a cat, anything really that they can grab.
    Democracy is not a spectator sport.

You know why pandas are endangered? Cause pandas ain't got no game.

Jesus loves you, but I'm his favorite.
  • yagottaloveyacurlsyagottaloveyacurls Posts: 5,766Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    :shock: scary!

Your baby is super cute by the way...I just wanna kiss him!
  • lauraloolauraloo Posts: 2,121Registered Users
    My house backs up to a field, which is sort of the local sanctuary for all sorts of critters, including hawks. When I had a bunny we would let him out to hop around in the back yard and we had to keep a very watchful eye on him because those hawks were veeeery interested in him. Of course that seems more natural than trying to swoop up a dog... I always have to keep my eye on my little tortoise when I let her roam the garden in the summer, too. She would be a very nice little snack for lots of critters.

Sorry you had that scare!
    Not all who wander are lost.

Fine and thin 3a. PW: curls
  • spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    How scary!! I'm so glad he's ok.

I've heard stories before and I'm always worried when we let our dachshund out in the yard alone. I take him out on leash a majority of the time even though our yard is fenced because I'm worried something will swoop down and take him.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
  • PeppyPeppy Posts: 3,290Registered Users
    Funny you should mention this. I just read this yesterday and was amazed at how powerful a bird can be!
    Eagle lugging a deer head causes outage Mon Jan 29, 9:53 PM ET

About 10,000 Juneau residents briefly lost power after a bald eagle lugging a deer head crashed into transmission lines.

"You have to live in Alaska to have this kind of outage scenario," said Gayle Wood, an Alaska Electric Light & Power spokeswoman. "This is the story of the overly ambitious eagle who evidently found a deer head in the landfill."

The bird, weighed down by the deer head, apparently failed to clear the transmission lines, she said. A repair crew found the eagle dead, the deer head nearby.

The power was out for less than 45 minutes Sunday.
  • tgreyztgreyz Posts: 1,627Registered Users
    There was a story in the local newspaper a little while ago about a yorkie that got taken away by some type of bird. The bird swooped down, picked up the yorkie and flew away. Although somehow the dog ended up ok, don't remember that part of the story.
    3b or 3c curls | My Fotki
    combo2.gif________________________________________________

event.png
    I'm a member of an online forum for dachshund owners and a few months ago a hawk tried to take off with her dog. She had it on leash and thankfully that caused the hawk to drop the dog. The pup had some cuts, but was overall ok.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
  • KrazyblondegurlKrazyblondegurl Posts: 1,008Registered Users
    Your dog is a cutie!

How scary. Kinda gross too. Poor little pooch.
  • yogawavesyogawaves Posts: 368Registered Users
    How scarey! When we were on vacation in Arizona, the locals told us to be careful of the coyotes, that they have been known to chase down the dogs and possibly cause harm. I hope your dog is okay, it probably did startle the heck out of him!
    yogawaves, formerly known as yogagirl
  • SuZenSuZen Posts: 1,595Registered Users
    I've never seen a hawk take a dog but I believe it could happen. A friend of mine lost his cat to a coyote, right here in suburban NJ.
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    spring1onu wrote:
    I'm a member of an online forum for dachshund owners and a few months ago a hawk tried to take off with her dog. She had it on leash and thankfully that caused the hawk to drop the dog. The pup had some cuts, but was overall ok.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I'm never letting my dachsie out of my sight again! I'm sorry that you had that scare, Ab-star.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • ScarletScarlet Posts: 3,125Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Wow. I'm glad doggie is ok. That must have been incredibly scary!
    The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics - Thomas Sowell
  • LAwomanLAwoman Posts: 2,949Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Oh no -- he is so precious and I'm VERY glad he's OK --- how traumatic that must have been!!! :shock: :(
  • SnarlsSnarls Posts: 2,537Registered Users
    Ha, I can just imagine that "overly ambitious" eagle with the deer head, being all "Motherlode!" and "Ehn! Ehn! Must! Not! Let! Go!"

I guess I shouldn't joke to the bouvies (which are rotti sized) about buzzards circling overhead.

I know that owls can carry off cats. You need to make an outfit for you dog so that he looks all big and unappetizing!
    formerly Castella
    (my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
  • SpiderSpider Posts: 3,381Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Our dogs are too fat to pick up and carry away. :lol:
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    Spider wrote:
    Our dogs are too fat to pick up and carry away. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm sorry you had such a scare, Ab-star. Thank goodness your precious dog is okay.
  • sariroosariroo Posts: 1,958Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Castella wrote:
    You need to make an outfit for you dog so that he
    looks all big and unappetizing!

I'm guessing not this outfit... :D :D :D

Rocky.jpg
    316vq4y.jpg
  • EllaElla Posts: 392Registered Users
    Ab-star, your baby is a cutie and that photo is great, very artistic! I live a few miles from downtown Atlanta and we had a huge hawk in our neighborhood. Our kitties never go out and I think our dog is too big, but I'm convinced a hawk killed out neighbor's cat. Poor kitty was found several backyards down with a broken neck. Don't know what happened for sure, but it didn't look like a dog did it. Glad your baby is ok!
    Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. – P.J. O'Rourke

There is no distinctly native American criminal class save Congress. – Mark Twain
  • 2happy2happy Posts: 5,138Registered Users
    Cute cute cute. Lucky lucky lucky.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or hump it.....Piss on it and walk away.
    Location - WI
  • Ab-starAb-star Posts: 1,128Registered Users
    Thanks guys...I'm still shaking today. Everytime I take him out (on his leash) I'm looking up at the sky. Thankfully he never realized what was going on. YES, we were very lucky!

spring1onu, after your story I am convinced he will always stay on his leash. At least we would have a fighting chance!

The hot dog outfit, OMG!! I think we should steer clear of that one!! :lol: We have sweaters for him but he gets so cranky when we try to put one on that it's not even worth it. I told my husband one solution would be to net in our whole backyard. He wasn't too keen on that idea.

Peppy, someone else told me that eagle story yesterday. Bizarre, isn't it?!?

I'm just praying for my baby to keep growing so he won't look like dinner to those nasty old hawks. :sad:
    MY HAIR ALBUM
    pw - jack

I don't know if it would keep it from happening, but a tie out might be an option. If he's attched to something that is firmly staked to the ground it may help if something did try swooping down again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Ab-starAb-star Posts: 1,128Registered Users
    That is an option but we never EVER leave him out alone. Even moreso now! I only pray that humans are big enough to scare the hawk away. And that my husband minds me when I tell him to never let him out without a leash again.

I have tied his leash to a stake once when I was taking down Christmas lights and I was right beside him. He didn't like it too much, lol!
    MY HAIR ALBUM
    pw - jack

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file