CurlTalk

Anderson Cooper: "I'm gay"

The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
Anderson Cooper: 'I'm Gay' | Gallery | Wonderwall
Gay Pride Month just wrapped up in June, but Anderson Cooper made a big, long-anticipated announcement on Monday: In what has long been an open secret, the award-winning CNN journalist and talk show host, 45, came out as gay in an open letter to political blogger Andrew Sullivan.

"The fact is, I'm gay, always have been, always will be, and I couldn't be any more happy, comfortable with myself, and proud," Cooper writes to Sullivan, as excerpted on the Daily Beast.

I still want to marry him...
montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.

Comments

• irociroc Posts: 7,890Registered Users
    Gay Pride Month just wrapped up in June, but Anderson Cooper made a big, long-anticipated announcement on Monday: In what has long been an open secret, the award-winning CNN journalist and talk show host, 45, came out as gay in an open letter to political blogger Andrew Sullivan.

"The fact is, I'm gay, always have been, always will be, and I couldn't be any more happy, comfortable with myself, and proud," Cooper writes to Sullivan, as excerpted on the Daily Beast.

Me too. I did wonder.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using CurlTalk App
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Didn't he make this announcement 5 or 6 yrs ago?

• coilynappcoilynapp Posts: 4,233Registered Users
    BIG surprise!!! I always suspected it. He's still a yummah looking man!
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • sew and sewsew and sew Posts: 3,443Registered Users
    Frank Caliendo:
    "Anderson Cooper announcing he's straight would have been a bigger story. #CNN "
    “It was only a sunny smile and little it cost in the giving but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

3B ■ Medium/Course ■ High Porosity
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users
    right. shocker! still luv him ;)
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
    Nope.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • curlysue21curlysue21 Posts: 5,219Registered Users
    I always thought he was too smart and handsome to be straight. I think its nice he is finally open about it, even though I don't know why it should matter.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2b/c, medium/high porosity, medium/coarse texture
    Current HG: Kinky Curly errythang, GVPCB, LALSG

"I will never be the woman with perfect hair, who can wear white and not spill on it."

• xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users

Me 2nd. :)
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • MoppyTMoppyT Posts: 998Registered Users
    ^ The sad thing is, you could marry him, even never having met him before, and you would have an overall easier time of it than he would if he tried to marry his actual partner. Which seems like part of the reason he went official-public, rather than everyone-knows-anyway-public.

He's super-nuthouse-awesome with cheese and bacon.
    The best revenge is living well. The second best revenge is fire ants.
    MoppyT wrote: »
    ^ The sad thing is, you could marry him, even never having met him before, and you would have an overall easier time of it than he would if he tried to marry his actual partner. Which seems like part of the reason he went official-public, rather than everyone-knows-anyway-public.

He's super-nuthouse-awesome with cheese and bacon.

Such a great point.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users
    It's been obvious to me that he's gay. His boyfriend that he was photographed with several times is gorgeous..which is no surprise..I mean look at him! :)

I understood why he didn't come out..he's extremely professional and in the public eye so I get keeping one's private life..just that: Private. Heterosexual people don't normally announce their sexual orientation..so I never felt he owed anyone a public acknowledgment of what his is..either way. So it never bothered me and now that's he's announced it..still doesn't bother me. I think he's fantastic.
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • claudine19claudine19 Posts: 4,486Registered Users

My Dear, I say this with all due love and respect, but you have enough on your plate at present.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dogs and nature abhor a vacuum.
    http://geaugadoggy.wordpress.com
  • SCGSCG Posts: 5,416Registered Users

I thought he did, too!

"And death is at your doorstep
    And it will steal your innocence
    But it will not steal your substance
    But you are not alone in this"

“My ability to turn good news into anxiety is rivaled only by my ability to turn anxiety into chin acne.” - Tina Fey
  • murrrcatmurrrcat Posts: 9,596Registered Users
    I thought everyone knew....who cares.

He still sexy tho.
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
  • Who Me?Who Me? Posts: 3,181Registered Users
    Did you read the actual letter? It's very well-written. It's about how he always tried to keep his private life private, but realized it was being interpreted that he's ashamed or trying to keep it secret that he's gay, but that's not true. So he came out and said it, so people would realize he's not ashamed of being gay.

I'm on my phone, but someone should post the link.
    "I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON
  • bleuyteuybleuyteuy Posts: 273Registered Users
    I too would still marry him. The silver fox.
    Who Me? wrote: »
    Did you read the actual letter? It's very well-written. It's about how he always tried to keep his private life private, but realized it was being interpreted that he's ashamed or trying to keep it secret that he's gay, but that's not true. So he came out and said it, so people would realize he's not ashamed of being gay.

I never thought he was ashamed. I liked that he didn't acknowledge it because HE SHOULDN'T HAVE TO. Its his life. Eff everyone elses.
  • sleepymekosleepymeko Posts: 1,002Registered Users
    Him announcing that he was gay is like Queen Latifah announcing that she is a lesbian. I mean, everyone pretty much already knows and he wasn't really "in" the closet in the first place. He would go on vacation with his partner and they would go to events together, lol.

But maybe he just needed to say it? Good for him either way! He is still hot to me. I would hit it if only he asked, lol...
    Check out my personal blog :afro:

s-event.png
    I think he put it out there to help others not for himself.
    Central Massachusetts

• The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
    claudine19 wrote: »

My Dear, I say this with all due love and respect, but you have enough on your plate at present.
    LOL...so true. And you dont even know the half of it...
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

sleepymeko wrote: »
    Him announcing that he was gay is like Queen Latifah announcing that she is a lesbian. I mean, everyone pretty much already knows and he wasn't really "in" the closet in the first place. He would go on vacation with his partner and they would go to events together, lol.

But maybe he just needed to say it? Good for him either way! He is still hot to me. I would hit it if only he asked, lol...
    right?

I guess he just wanted to show support....I'm sure he did anyway. The fact is he still fioooone, like a glass of wine. Mmmmmm
  • coilynappcoilynapp Posts: 4,233Registered Users

It's so tragic that gay people are pressured into feeling like they have to explain themselves to the world. I don't get it. I don't go anywhere and ever say "Hi, I'm coilynapp and I'm straight". GOSH I wait for the day when this will be non-issue. No one should care or need to know who you are batting for unless you are being intimate with them. Period.
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • juanabjuanab Posts: 4,037Registered Users
    coilynapp wrote: »

It's so tragic that gay people are pressured into feeling like they have to explain themselves to the world. I don't get it. I don't go anywhere and ever say "Hi, I'm coilynapp and I'm straight". GOSH I wait for the day when this will be non-issue. No one should care or need to know who you are batting for unless you are being intimate with them. Period.

So true.

texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal
    co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
    LI - KCKT mixed w/ SM C & H Curl & Style Milk
    DC - NG Mango & Coconut H2O or Chamomile/Brdck Root
    Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)
    Sealers - Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocado butter, Aloe butter
    Ayurvedic treatments - Jamila Henna, Sukesh, Aloe Vera Powder, Hibiscus Powder

event.png
  • sleepymekosleepymeko Posts: 1,002Registered Users
    coilynapp wrote: »

I think this is why I feel it's kind of unnecessary to come out these days. I feel like, it's no one's business!

But then again, we still live in a hateful world so I need to understand that not everyone is like me. My stepfather and mother still go on and on about how being gay is wrong and sinful and UNNATURAL. I tried telling them that there are gay animals in the world (trying to hint that it is a natural thing), but it goes on deaf ears.

I hope one day we can live in a world where people aren't forced to tell people their sexuality or their sexuality is not met with hostility.

I remember someone asked me what would I do if my future children were gay. My answer is still the same: "I wouldn't care". At the end of the day, I just want grandchildren.

It's not like gay people can't have kids! That's all I would want anyway >.>
    Check out my personal blog :afro:

s-event.png
  • EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,389Registered Users
    In the past he's said that he prefers not to discuss his sexual orientation. So basically he came out to most people, just not the few who didn't understand what that meant. But now he's actually using the word "gay," and I guess it's significant that he's decided to say it directly.
  • SaraNoHSaraNoH Posts: 827Registered Users
    Don Lemon came out not too long ago too.

ahhh... the silver fox, lol!
    CG Birthday: 7/25/11
    Type 3a/2c
    Dense, Fine in front Coarse in back, Low porosity
    Low-Poo: SM Moisture Retention Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Tresemme Naturals
    Leave In: ^^^^
    Stylers: AIF, Natural Silks Curly Gel
    *Desert Curly*
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Eilonwy wrote: »
    In the past he's said that he prefers not to discuss his sexual orientation. So basically he came out to most people, just not the few who didn't understand what that meant. But now he's actually using the word "gay," and I guess it's significant that he's decided to say it directly.

I'm pretty sure he unequivocally said he's gay several years ago. There is no way I would have or could have known he was gay w/o him announcing it. And I've known for some time...bc he said so.

Yeah, this is weird...I'm fairly certain he announced it before.

• EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,389Registered Users
    I'm pretty sure he unequivocally said he's gay several years ago. There is no way I would have or could have known he was gay w/o him announcing it. And I've known for some time...bc he said so.

Yeah, this is weird...I'm fairly certain he announced it before.
    Okay, I had to look into this. In the past, a lot of other people have said that he's gay, since that's been an open secret for a long time. But this seems to be the first time that he's explicitly described himself as gay/queer/homosexual.

BTW, there are occasionally questions on NC about Anderson Cooper's sexuality, and I know that I've explained that he's gay. Could be that you heard it from me or someone else :dontknow:
  • SariaSaria Posts: 15,963Registered Users
    tumblr_m6k3f4h8oq1qzpwi0o1_500.jpg
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • emthefantasticalemthefantastical Posts: 962Registered Users
    I saw a post on Facebook that said, "Anderson Cooper was not in the closet. He was in the "it's none of your damn business." I think that's pretty accurate.

I also understand, from a professional stand point, why he would not want to be publicly out. He's a field reporter who is often in areas that aren't so kind to gay people.

Though, I can't help but wonder how he kept so calm when he was interviewing the woman whose church feels that all gay people should be put behind an electric fence and essentially left to die
    2c/3a
    somewhere between fine and medium texture
    average porosity underneath, fairly high porosity in the canopy

cowash: Suave Tropical Coconut
    rinse-out: GFTN, One-C
    styling: LALSG, EcoStyler, Deva Styling Cream