Best Homemade Hair Mask Ingredients?

Which around the kitchen ingredients would you recommend for dry, damaged, coarse, frizzy hair?

I've heard about eggs, mayonnaise, avocados, bananas, honey and olive oil. Which would you recommend? Have any other suggestions?

Comments

• SaraNoHSaraNoH Posts: 827Registered Users
    From what I've gathered, coarse hair isn't the biggest fan of many of those ingredients due to the protein contents/ingredients ability to retain protein onto the hair shaft.

I'd stick with the honey and olive oil. Just make sure you rinse out your shower really well or you'll have a ton of little "friends" come around for a snack...
    CG Birthday: 7/25/11
    Type 3a/2c
    Dense, Fine in front Coarse in back, Low porosity
    Low-Poo: SM Moisture Retention Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Tresemme Naturals
    Leave In: ^^^^
    Stylers: AIF, Natural Silks Curly Gel
    *Desert Curly*
  • RimiRimi Posts: 2,001Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    SaraNoH wrote: »
    From what I've gathered, coarse hair isn't the biggest fan of many of those ingredients due to the protein contents/ingredients ability to retain protein onto the hair shaft.

I'd stick with the honey and olive oil. Just make sure you rinse out your shower really well or you'll have a ton of little "friends" come around for a snack...

I second this
    21 y/o lifelong natural {4a-O ; spongy ; coarse ; dense ; MBL stretched}

products {'poo: TJTTT shampoo | RO: TJTTT Condish | LI/style: TJTTT Condish, homemade cocoa butter cream | DC: condish + ayurvedic powder(s), Aussie 3MMM Treatment | PT: condish + NPF | oils: castor oil, grapeseed oil | other treatments: probiotics, tea rinses, AVG rinse/spritz, oil rinse | sealing method: LC sometimes O}

long-term: HL stretched, BSL unstretched

CG-friendly Products List!
  • FmasuhrFmasuhr Posts: 1,354Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    it does depend on what your hair likes/doesnt. i cant have alot of protein, so my hair masks i use a base of my normal condish and add oils to it, and aloe vera honey..... works for me.

my hair: 3b, high porosity, high density and coarse hair (i think i finally figured that all out)
    my hair loves conditioner only styling!
    Oils and my own procuts are my hairs best friend
    my hair goal length is bra strap length when curly.
    :hello1:
  • MissKrisMissKris Posts: 288Registered Users
    Mayo is out of the question. Manufactured products have additives and I want control over the ingredients in my treatment. My hair really liked the banana/avocado/honey/EVOO/coconut milk combo. It was the very first homemade treatment I ever made(this wknd in fact). This offered the best result of anything I've ever tried. I'm experimenting right now to get a grasp on what my mane likes. I encourage you to do so. Luv you, Curly!

Sent from my SPH-M910 using CurlTalk App
  • earthnutearthnut Posts: 226Registered Users
    Coarse hair doesn't like protein but porous hair does. Many damaged hairs are also porous. So you may have to experiment and see what your hair likes.

My hair likes egg and milk mixed together. It also loves olive oil. Mayo was a disaster though. I smelled like a deli every time I showered for months! Bletch.

---
    2c/3a-M-ii porous, good elasticity, APL, dark brown with a silver lining. Biggest enemy: frizz!
  • Jas76Jas76 Posts: 2,283Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I use my usual RO, and add honey and EVOO, sometimes EVCO, too.

If your hair likes protein, yoghurt is good, and the gelatin PT is AMAZING. Nothing is better on my hair than that - homemade OR store bought!
    2c/3a/3b, Fine/med, Dense, high porous, & normal elas.

Lo-poo - Renpure Keratin, SMR, Giovanni SaS
    clarifying - mix Johnson's H2T with low poo
    Co-wash - Suave Nats. clar. or coco.
    RO - GVPCB, Ion Eff. Care, TN.
    LI - SMR, Cure Care, or RO
    Seal - MO or Jojoba
    DT - + honey, ACV, & EVOO to SM masque & GVPCB
    PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
    Styling - FSG, AIF, BRHG, LALS/PS, GF curl spray gel, SM Souffle/Smoothie, LOOB
    Oils - MO!, EVOO, jojoba, GSO, SM Elixer, EVCO, VO5 Hairdressing

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file