Help me be a "Curly Hair Fairy"!

RebeccaKRebeccaK Posts: 305Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I am meeting with a friend for the first time in more than 25 years (we reconnected via facebook). She and her family live in Florida but will be in Chicago next week.

My friend saw a couple of my pictures from my fb page and said to me: "My daughter has hair just like yours, except she HATES hers!"

So... I would love to be the "Curly Hair Fairy" and bring a couple wonderful hair-related products to give to this lovely young lady (she's about 10 years old, I think).

I have no idea about her hair properties of course... all I know for certain is that from pictures, it looks like she tries to brush out her curls as much as possible.

Any suggestions? It would be so great to bring her a couple products that, maybe after just one use, would make her hair feel so soft, silky, and smooth that she'll want to go curly forever!!!

But on a more realistic note.... whatever I bring probably shouldn't be too high on the price scale, non-complicated to use, and probably should be good for the usual Florida climate. She'll be going home on an airplane, so sample sizes would be a plus! However, I think a true "Curly Hair Fairy" wouldn't think twice about sending a fun "Curly Care Package" in the mail.

I'm also thinking about friends I've known who have purchased "for curly hair" products, but then end up going right back to fighting their curls because they end up with that straw feeling. So maybe to be safe I should try to steer clear of anything high protein??? It would be awful if the gift backfired!!

Oh, and... I just found out I'm supposed to meet them on Thursday (7/5). Not a lot of time!

Using what you know now about caring for your curly hair, imagine yourself as a 10 year old young lady who "hates her curls". What would the "Curly Hair Fairy" bring to you? What would you suggest for products (low poo? leave-in? styler?) and brands?

Signed, a CHF-wannabe. =)

Comments

• JydalJydal Posts: 178Registered Users
    Curl mart has hair product baskets designed by hair type. May help
  • RebeccaKRebeccaK Posts: 305Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks - I definitely have been looking around in Curlmart. I really can't tell this young lady's hair type though from her pictures. But I've also learned on my own hair that the products that work for me don't seem to fit with what my 'type' is.

I will keep looking... I definitely want to bring something fun/interesting for her to try!
  • lcl0706lcl0706 Posts: 959Registered Users
    I would suggest a mild, sulfate free shampoo and a CG friendly conditioner - something like Tressemme Naturals or SN, a protein free variety just in case. I'd also put together a booklet of tips on bright index cards or something, with pretty colors or fairy stickers, and each card could have a handwritten tip on it (like about scrunching, not brushing when dry, only combing when it's wet and full of conditioner, how to scrunch-n-pump products in, how to SOTC, etc). You could also get her a travel size bottle of a cheap, CG friendly gel that may not be her wonderhair drug but is unlikely to irritate her hair or leave it strawlike, regardless of type. Like HETT for example.

I'd do the booklet in a really really cute way - like clip out & put some magazine pictures in it showing frizzy fluffy hair and then some good "after" pictures. Really use it to talk up the beauty of curly hair and how lucky she is to have it. Explain how you came to love your hair. Something kid friendly, bright, and fun!
    :wave: fine, thin, normal/(low?) porosity. Mod-CG. Usually I can't co-wash more than 1x a week, & sometimes I have to use T-Gel in rotation due to scalp issues.

Co-wash: VO5 Volumizing
    Poo: Giovanni 50:50
    RO:TN, Nexxus Youth Renewal, Alba Coconut
    LI: KCKT
    PT: gelatin PT, ION EC
    Stylers: Giovanni mousse, TIGI Curls Rock amplifier (a-cone), Curls Rock Strong Hold Mousse
    Gels: SCC spray gel

hairsiggy-4-1.jpg
    I love this idea - you perfectly crystallized the basic idea I was going for!

And I love your hair, too, by the way.

I'm going to see if her mom will let me send her emails... my time is completely booked between now and Thursday and I'm thinking I may not be able to pull off a booklet like you're suggesting. But emailing pictures later on, after we meet, would work.

Oh - and I can show her my own before CG and after CG pictures, too!

Since she's traveling by plane, I don't want to load her up with too much when I meet her.... do you have any suggestions for a sulfate free shampoo? (I occasionally use a shampoo bar but otherwise am conditioner-only).

Thanks for describing all of this so perfectly!
  • blulightblulight Posts: 131Registered Users
    'Curly Girl' book. Also, find out what her hair looks like before she brushes it out. Maybe she just has a cut meant for straight hair, and hers ends up looking mushroomy/pyramidy, so she tries to keep it tame by brushing it. Products alone might not be enough and she might need a right cut first. Check in salon reviews for good curly stylists in her area. In CG book there's also info about how curly hair should be cut (and there's probably more info online about it too), so if her family can't afford the stylist maybe someone might still be able to do it themselves.
    3b/fine/thick/normal porosity/bsl
  • raindearraindear Posts: 356Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I definitely second the "Curly Girl" book idea.

Maybe one of the L'Oreal no sulfate, no cone lines? They are easily available and not too costly. Or a couple Suave Naturals conditioners, if you think she might be willing to try co washing.
    Be Happy!

Type:2b/3ab?
    Texture:Medium/fine
    Porosity:Normal
    Elasticity:Normal

Experimenting with too many products to name here. All this great info keeps my head spinning. :happy6:
  • lcl0706lcl0706 Posts: 959Registered Users
    RebeccaK wrote: »
    I love this idea - you perfectly crystallized the basic idea I was going for!

And I love your hair, too, by the way.

I'm going to see if her mom will let me send her emails... my time is completely booked between now and Thursday and I'm thinking I may not be able to pull off a booklet like you're suggesting. But emailing pictures later on, after we meet, would work.

Oh - and I can show her my own before CG and after CG pictures, too!

Since she's traveling by plane, I don't want to load her up with too much when I meet her.... do you have any suggestions for a sulfate free shampoo? (I occasionally use a shampoo bar but otherwise am conditioner-only).

Thanks for describing all of this so perfectly!

You're welcome!! I hope you can get her on the path to loving her hair! I hear Organix lines are a popular sulfate free, I've also tried L'Oreal Eversleek. My favorite shampoo right now is Yes to Carrots but it does have sodium coco-sulfate and I've heard very conflicting opinions on that. Don't think you can buy travel sizes but if she has a checked bag a full size can go on that. If it's just a carry-on, possibly get a travel size container to put it in and then mail her the rest of the bottle?
    :wave: fine, thin, normal/(low?) porosity. Mod-CG. Usually I can't co-wash more than 1x a week, & sometimes I have to use T-Gel in rotation due to scalp issues.

Co-wash: VO5 Volumizing
    Poo: Giovanni 50:50
    RO:TN, Nexxus Youth Renewal, Alba Coconut
    LI: KCKT
    PT: gelatin PT, ION EC
    Stylers: Giovanni mousse, TIGI Curls Rock amplifier (a-cone), Curls Rock Strong Hold Mousse
    Gels: SCC spray gel

hairsiggy-4-1.jpg
    @blulight - yes, good thinking on the book! Definitely something I could send to her after she returns home.

What you're saying seems to me to be the most likely situation. Her mother mentioned that everyone tries to persuade her to let her hair be curly naturally but so far no one can convince her. I'm sure it doesn't help matters that she's the only one in the family with curly hair!

My thought is some products that make her hair feel nice might be the way to start. And maybe a little mention of how, at least for me, life became so much easier when I embraced - rather than fought - my curls!
    lcl0706 wrote: »
    You're welcome!! I hope you can get her on the path to loving her hair! I hear Organix lines are a popular sulfate free, I've also tried L'Oreal Eversleek. My favorite shampoo right now is Yes to Carrots but it does have sodium coco-sulfate and I've heard very conflicting opinions on that. Don't think you can buy travel sizes but if she has a checked bag a full size can go on that. If it's just a carry-on, possibly get a travel size container to put it in and then mail her the rest of the bottle?

I had considered the idea of putting products that come in larger bottles into travel containers... but when I try to look at this from the eyes of a little girl, it occurs to me that getting a bottle of who-knows-what from some crazy curly-haired lady that claims to have gone to kindergarten with her mom...... well...... LOL, I'm kind of joking -- but kind of not! =)

Hmmm, maybe I'll look into a small sample pack from one of the more well-known curly brands just for a little something to get her going. Will have to find someplace with expedited shipping!!
    @raindear -- I have a funny feeling that the whole concept of co washing will be difficult for her family to consider. I remember growing up with her mother and hearing her complain about how oily her hair was. The idea of not using shampoo can be pretty shocking to the uninitiated!!
  • bleuyteuybleuyteuy Posts: 273Registered Users
    I haven't read all the responses on this but I just wanted to tell you what a wonderful idea I think this is. When I was her age I hated my curls too. My problem was defining and poofiness. Anything that'll fix that is good I think. Maybe you can do her hair for her so she can see how to do it and see that it looks nice.
    bleuyteuy wrote: »
    I haven't read all the responses on this but I just wanted to tell you what a wonderful idea I think this is. When I was her age I hated my curls too. My problem was defining and poofiness. Anything that'll fix that is good I think. Maybe you can do her hair for her so she can see how to do it and see that it looks nice.

Thanks for saying this... I definitely am thinking about this from the perspective of wishing someone could have talked to me when I was her age. I was the same as you - defining and poofiness galore!

Sadly, it will only be a short visit in a restaurant. But I will at least try to show her the curly-girl world!
  • raindearraindear Posts: 356Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    RebeccaK wrote: »
    @raindear -- I have a funny feeling that the whole concept of co washing will be difficult for her family to consider. I remember growing up with her mother and hearing her complain about how oily her hair was. The idea of not using shampoo can be pretty shocking to the uninitiated!!

Yes, I know, that's why the L'Oreal lines was my first thought. If someone could have shown/told me how much different my hair could be with a different regimen of care when I was that age, it would have made all the difference.
    Be Happy!

Type:2b/3ab?
    Texture:Medium/fine
    Porosity:Normal
    Elasticity:Normal

Experimenting with too many products to name here. All this great info keeps my head spinning. :happy6:
    THANK YOU to everyone who replied! I had such a nice time meeting with my friend and her daughter is such a cutie. I will be sending my new young friend a curly hair care package, with travel-sized products of some brands I think will work well for her, the curly girl handbook, and maybe some flour sack cloths and a wide toothed comb. Oh, and a list of suggestions from the replies here (and other threads) for good products that are available on the ground as well.

If nothing else, she'll have a fun time getting the products -- who doesn't love getting a package in the mail!!! But maybe she'll find something in there that will let her begin to embrace - and maybe even love - her curls. I really felt for her, as she definitely did not like her hair. =(

So thank you again to everyone!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file