We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

Prepaid Smartphone ?

claudine19claudine19 Posts: 4,486Registered Users
Are these type of plans only available to those willing to purchase a new phone? I already have an iPhone (though it's "old" now); can I still use it if I purchase a pre-paid plan?

TIA
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dogs and nature abhor a vacuum.
http://geaugadoggy.wordpress.com

Comments

• nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users Curl Novice
    I don't know of any iPhone pre-paid plans.

I have an Android phone through Virgin Mobile with no contract (because I hate them, even though I keep my phones forever). They have several plans that range from $35-$55 a month. $35 gets you 300 minutes per month, with unlimited data and messaging; $45 is 1200 minutes and the same data and messaging; $55 is unlimited everything. It has 3G wireless, and of course WiFi and Bluetooth capability. It's an LG Optimus Elite (I think). The phone was around $150 and they gave me a $35 credit toward the first month's service.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fnynaeve77%2F" class="Popup
    Password: orphanannie
  • ruralcurlsruralcurls Posts: 2,574Registered Users
    I am not 100% sure how it works, but Straight Talk offers a prepaid plan for iPhones. Your phone had to have been through a certain carrier, and the initial setup may be a bit of a pain, but it could be worth it if you don't want to have a contract.

Welcome To Straight Talk
  • claudine19claudine19 Posts: 4,486Registered Users
    Thanks!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dogs and nature abhor a vacuum.
    http://geaugadoggy.wordpress.com
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    Just don't get a T-Mobile prepaid phone. They truly suck.
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    The phones, or the service?

I just got a prepaid T-Mobile phone about a month ago, and I like it so far. I don't get reception at a state park out in the boonies that I visit sometimes, but I didn't with Sprint either.
    ehLB.jpg
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    sarah42 wrote: »
    The phones, or the service?

I just got a prepaid T-Mobile phone about a month ago, and I like it so far. I don't get reception at a state park out in the boonies that I visit sometimes, but I didn't with Sprint either.

The service. When my son went a couple of months w/o using the phone (it was for emergencies only), T-Mobile deactivated the number and reassigned it. I wasn't informed of this practice and I didn't find out until I put money on it and it failed to make calls. Getting my money back was a nightmare and some of the reps were tough to understand, so there were communication issues. I finally had to do a chargeback on my credit card. Since the phone wasn't jailbroken, I had no choice but to continue business with T-Mobile and pay a reactivation fee. I've had other issues too, but they're too convoluted to go into here.
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    That's annoying! I'll try to avoid something similar.
    ehLB.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file