What is my curl type?

Chels_DChels_D Posts: 5Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Hi everyone!
I'm wondering if some wise-curl-girl out there can help me. I've had curly hair for a few years now (used to be wavy growing up, moved to a drier climate and brrrrp! turned curly). Anyway, as many of you out there have experienced I have tried product after product after product trying to find ones that work for my hair. Its VERY dry and brittle, so definitely prone to frizz, but oily at the scalp. My hairstylist tells me that my hair is generally healthy and strong, it's just very thirsty. I don't use sulfate or silicone products, but I still haven't found the ones that work perfectly for me.
I'm considering going the no-poo method, however I'd like to know my curly hair type first!
I'm not sure if I'm a 2c or a 3a, as my hair type follows both descriptions. It's very prone to frizz and has an underlayer of tight ringlets (descriptive of 2c), however it also works best with different styling products and the curls are about the size of sidewalk chalk (descriptive of 3a).
Anyway, I've included some pics below. They are from different years as my curls have developed, they are now a little more formed then they are in these pics.

Anyway, anything anybody can tell me would help alot! Thanks so much!!!:wave:

Comments

• RimiRimi Posts: 2,001Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Looks like a mix of 2c and 3a
    21 y/o lifelong natural {4a-O ; spongy ; coarse ; dense ; MBL stretched}

products {'poo: TJTTT shampoo | RO: TJTTT Condish | LI/style: TJTTT Condish, homemade cocoa butter cream | DC: condish + ayurvedic powder(s), Aussie 3MMM Treatment | PT: condish + NPF | oils: castor oil, grapeseed oil | other treatments: probiotics, tea rinses, AVG rinse/spritz, oil rinse | sealing method: LC sometimes O}

long-term: HL stretched, BSL unstretched

CG-friendly Products List!
  • jsuzkelleyjsuzkelley Posts: 610Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I agree, it looks like a mix of 2c/3a, which is not uncommon. I see some similarities to my own hair. I live in a dry climate too (Colorado), and have found that co-washing and using conditioning cleansers ( no shampoo) has helped with moisture, as well as sealing with oils. Some people like to add oil to their shampoo. If you haven't already, you should figure our your hair properties (like texture, density, porosity), as this will help you determine what will work best for your hair.

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
    2c/3a, botticelli/wavy/'swavy (huh?)
    fine, dense, normal porosity/elasticity, dry climate
    My favorite brands are Kinky Curly, As I am, Curly Kinks, Curl Junkie, and Darcy's Botanicals. Also love sealing with oils (loving argan oil right now) and styling with jelly products (KCCC is my current favorite). Mostly trying to keep it simple!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

CG since 12/29/2011 :laughing6:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file