CurlTalk

my hair feels disgusting and is frizzy, what to do?

etosetos Posts: 221Registered Users
Hi everybody! :hello2:

I'm from the Netherlands, so I hope you all understand me, haha!

Today I started with the no-shampoo method, but my hair feels disgusting and is verry frizzy! What did I do wrong?

Before I did this way of washing/styling my hair, I always let my hair dry in a knot to prevent frizz. Now I did it following the CG-method (leave-in conditioner in it, after that scrunching some silicone-free and alcohol-free gel in my hair, let it dry in a T-shirt for an hour, and after that let it air dry). It's true that my hair curls more, but it just feels disgusting and it's so frizzy! Anyone an idea about what I did wrong?

Thanks beforehand!
highlighted 3a hair. Fine strands, medium to high density. Probably high porosity. Growing uit bad layering and aiming for waist lenght!

Pre-poo: coconut oil
wash: CJ Daily fix or SheaMoisture Coconut&Hibiscus
RO + LI: different every time
Styler: CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB

dislikes: glycerin in low dews, scissor happy stylists, magnesium sulfate

(modified) CG since june 25, 2012
Hiarfinity + extra MSM since March 5., 2014

SL - APL - BSBL- BSL - MBL - WL (stretched)

Comments

• rapunzel4everrapunzel4ever Posts: 557Registered Users
    Maybe you can tell us more about the way your hair feels that it disgust you. I've read on this forum that your hair sometimes needs to adjust to the new care regime and above that, you have to adjust to a different feeling of your hair.
    Hair with CG doesn't feel the same like it does with frequent sulfate and/or sillicone washes.
    2B/C-3A) fine - low porosity
    Routine:
    Wash: Daily Fix,SMT, Kesham, Urtekram
    RO: Motions CPR Li, Inecto Cocos co, AO GPB, KCTT
    acv-rinse, sometimes honey-rinse
    LI: coconut oil (winter), CJBC-LI
    Styling: AVG, Etos Solid Power Gel, Taft gel, CJPP, JCCC, BRHG
    Plopping~Pixiecurl diffuse~clipping
    KrullenWijzer.blogspot.nl
  • SamiSami Posts: 94Registered Users
    Something that causes the frizziness might be that you put it up in a tshirt for an hour (I'm assuming that's a plop). Whenever I plop for over 20 minutes my hair starts getting frizzy!
  • etosetos Posts: 221Registered Users
    Hi Rapunzel, thanks for your reply!
    My hair doesn't feel soft at all, I feel the frizz and it also feels like... I dunno.. A lot of products are in it? Maybe I have to use to it indeed. It doesn't feel very nice to my opinion, but I think how it looks is more important. And it looks very frizzy. Any idea what I can do about that?
    highlighted 3a hair. Fine strands, medium to high density. Probably high porosity. Growing uit bad layering and aiming for waist lenght!

Ohw, all right, so maybe it frizz less when I plop it much shorter (time)? After I washed it with sulfate containing shampoo for the last time I din't plop at all and just let it air dry. It was also frizzy that time, but that was maybe because of the shampoo that dries out my hair?

Rapunzel, I see you use 'kruidvat creme voeding'. Are you dutch too?

oh, btw, I think I have 2c or 3a hair (I'm not quite shure about that). It's european, dark-blonde hair.

Yes to plopping for a shorter amount of time, and I have 2C/3A hair as well! You might also just have to wait it out because for me it took around 1 week before my hair actually started looking better. But it's worth the wait because my hair looks tons better now!! As for frizz reducing products, HESMU works really well for me along with Triple Nutrition Leave In conditioner
    etos wrote: »

Yes, I am ;-) are you using Etos products for your hair? Cause I'm using the Etos Solid Power Gel. That helps a lot with frizz, although I have to say with the high dewpoints we have in the Netherlands recently I have trouble managing frizz as well.

Have you read about dewpoints already? Basically it means that with higher temperatures and much humidity, dewpoints are higher and can cause more trouble like causing frizz. You'll have to be careful with humectants (anything that attracts moisture) in products (high on the ingredient list), like glycerine, glycerol, sorbitol, panthenol etc.

You could try to seal wet hair with a bit of oil. Just smooth a bit (nail tip) of natural oil over your hair and scrunch on the ends before using a styler.
    Routine:

Yes, I am ;-) are you using Etos products for your hair? Cause I'm using the Etos Solid Power Gel. That helps a lot with frizz, although I have to say with the high dewpoints we have in the Netherlands recently I have trouble managing frizz as well.

Have you read about dewpoints already? Basically it means that with higher temperatures and much humidity, dewpoints are higher and can cause more trouble like causing frizz. You'll have to be careful with humectants (anything that attracts moisture) in products (high on the ingredient list), like glycerine, glycerol, sorbitol, panthenol etc.

You could try to seal wet hair with a bit of oil. Just smooth a bit (nail tip) of natural oil over your hair and scrunch on the ends before using a styler.

Does sealing wet hair with oil make dry time longer? I heard that somewhere but I'm not sure if it's true...
    I din't read about dewpoints already, but I guess I have to :clown:

So you suggest that with a high temperature and when there is a lot of water in the air, I do some oil in my hair before using leave-in and gel? Of after the leave-in and before the gel? And what kind of oil? And how can you make shure that when you use so little oil, the oil is still everywhere in your hair? :dontknow:

Last time I did a co-wash I didn't use a gel and let my hair dry in a knot like 'the old day's'. And actually my hair looked a lot better, and it was a lot less frizzy and feeling disgusting. But that's weird right? All you girls just do it like the CG-method? (leave-in, gel scrunching, plopping, air dry etc.?)

When you use a LI, I would put a sealing oil in it after the LI and before stylers.
    I'm not sure yet if it adds to drying time. In winter it doesn't but in summer?!
    I don't use a LI most of the time. My hair is very healthy and not chemically processed in any way. The styling products I use are usually nourishing enough for me.
    After (co-)washing and RO I use a curl enhancer first (from here I do everything in upside-down position to encourage root volume). This can be a curl cream, mousse, jelly or diluted gel depending on my hairs needs. Then plop for a couple of minutes while doing something else. Then I put in Etos Solid Power Gel, like 4 jellybean sizes, and scrunch it in. Then remove excess water with microfibre towel or by plopping and pixiediffuse.
    If there's time I clip the roots and air dry for a bit before SOTC.
    Routine:
  • earthnutearthnut Posts: 226Registered Users
    Sami wrote: »
    Does sealing wet hair with oil make dry time longer? I heard that somewhere but I'm not sure if it's true...
    It doesn't take any longer to dry. I like adding olive oil as needed to control frizz, just a drop or two at a time. I apply it when my hair is dry, not because it takes longer to dry, but because it's easier to tell when I've used enough. I don't find that oil cures my frizzies, just reduces it a bit and reduces tangles.

I'm having the same problem as you with CO though. My hair is curlier, but it feels stiff and full of product. What is your hair like? Porosity, thickness, elasticity? A different conditioner with different ingredients may work better. I think maybe the protein in my conditioner wasn't agreeing with my hair.

---
    My hair is porous, medium thickness, good elasticity, medium density, 2c/3a, APL, dark brown with a silver lining. Biggest enemy: frizz!
    Now I don't let it air dry anymore whitout wearing a knot, because it always get so frizzy! After the leave-in conditioner I let it dry in a knot... So no gel anymore. I noticed that the gel was the reason my hair felt so gunky (i'm not shure that's the right word.. I mean like, stiff, disgusting, full of product?).

@ earthnut: I have fine to medium thick hair and it's really damaged/porous and dried out because of me bleaching it way to much (like, 2 years, painting/bleaching it once a month). It's 2c/3a hair I guess, and I'm not shure about the elasticity. How do you know? And what means 'density'? I have the same biggest enemy as you: frizz!

• earthnutearthnut Posts: 226Registered Users
    I'm not shure about the elasticity. How do you know? And what means 'density'?

You can find out your hair elasticity by taking a shed hair, taking both ends and pulling gently. If your hair doesn't stretch at all and breaks, you have low elasticity, which indicates your hair may need more moisture or less protein. If your hair stretches and doesn't shrink back to it's original length, your hair is overly elastic, which indicates your hair may need more protein or less moisturizing. If your hair stretches and then shrinks back to it's original length, it has good elasticity and a good balance of protein and moisture.

Density refers to the number of hairs on your head. Put all your hair in a ponytail (all, including bangs) and measure the circumference of the ponytail. Between 2 and 4 inches is medium density. (mine is 3.25 inches)

---
    2cMii, porous, good elasticity, APL, dark brown with a silver lining.
    Love coconut oil, olive oil, and Everyday Shea!
    HGs are simple, natural, and destroy frizzzz!!
    Allright, so I have good elasticity and medium density (3.1 inches aproximately)

• kstankstan Posts: 423Registered Users
    Hello Etos, I'm Kstan. looks like we started going CG on the same day. My hair didn't start feeling weird until halfway through week 2 though, but its currently awful. :( it just look oily and frizzy at the same time. Its really really humid here and the dew point is always high this time of year. Here's to hoping both of us adjust well.

I didn't know how to find my density til i read this so thanks Earth nut. it appears I have really dense hair. i measured and its just under 4, and that's without my blunt bangs which won't go in a pony tail.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    started CG on 6/25/12. :duckie:
    • 2c with a strait underneath
    • normal elasticity on top, none on the underneath
    • Fine side of Normal
    • Thick hair
    • Poriosity is a mystery. I think its all over the place.
    hi Kstan,

too bad that your hair is oily ánd frizzy! For me, my hair was better when I 'sealed' with a little bit of oil (after my leave-in and before my gel). With better I mean: less frizzy. But I'm not shure if it's something for you, because of your hair is also oily (mine is actually really dry).

I have to say your hair looks really beautifull on the picture!