CurlTalk

How do you get your wet curls to clump?

jojocurljojocurl Posts: 12Registered Users
I am new to this forum and CG for a month. Can't figure out how to make my individual hairs clump together when wet so that they dry as defined units rather than a bunch of finer curls that look frizzy when dry. Are there any products or techniques that help with this?

Comments

• tots5678tots5678 Posts: 472Registered Users
    Not sure what your curl pattern is but perhaps the "tightly curly method" separation technique will be helpful.
    Check out:
    www.tightlycurly.com

Terri LaFlesh is the creator. She has a book and this website that has videos. They have helped me with my curl clumping for better definition. I don't follow it exactly but I did take some tips to fit me and my curls. Hope this helps!

www.memygirlsandournaturalcurls.wordpress.com

Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Posts: 3,193Registered Users
    Different people find different methods helpful- supersoaker method is popular http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/81176-super-soaker-method-promoting-clumps-updated-video-link.html

Some people promote clumping by using "grabby" hair products, like KCCC or Eco Styler.

Some people also notice a difference from applying products to sopping wet vs damp hair.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • SaraNoHSaraNoH Posts: 827Registered Users
    I get great clumps by doing the following:
    1. Apply product in this order: LI, sealer, gel/mousse
    2. After each product is applied comb through with a Denman or similar brush to distribute.
    3. Scrunch hair into about 4 sections (2 per side)
    4. Plop for however long, air dry or diffuse.

Nice and clumpy :)
    CG Birthday: 7/25/11
    Type 3a/2c
    Dense, Fine in front Coarse in back, Low porosity
    Low-Poo: SM Moisture Retention Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Tresemme Naturals
    Leave In: ^^^^
    Stylers: AIF, Natural Silks Curly Gel
    *Desert Curly*
  • jojocurljojocurl Posts: 12Registered Users
    Thanks so much for all the useful tips/links. I can't wait to try. I'm noticing that a common theme in the clumping process is the Denman brush - I am going to have to find one of these. What is a sealer?
  • modegrrlmodegrrl Posts: 273Registered Users
    I've been doing this for 10 years: rinse conditioner out upside-down, raking through to remove fallen hair; while still upside-down, scrunch in a small amt conditioner (into sopping-wet hair), then gel, squishing to distribute. If you need more control around the halo/crown, you can stand up for the gel part.
    "For many years the National Pretend Speed Limit was fifty-five miles per hour"--Dave Barry

PW: frizzella
  • SaraNoHSaraNoH Posts: 827Registered Users
    jojocurl wrote: »
    Thanks so much for all the useful tips/links. I can't wait to try. I'm noticing that a common theme in the clumping process is the Denman brush - I am going to have to find one of these. What is a sealer?

A sealer is a product used to "seal" moisture into your air. It basically creates a barrier between the hair and the outside environment. Common sealers are things like oils or butters, such as shea butter, mineral oil, grapeseed oil, and sometimes olive oil.
    CG Birthday: 7/25/11
    Type 3a/2c
    Dense, Fine in front Coarse in back, Low porosity
    Low-Poo: SM Moisture Retention Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Tresemme Naturals
    Leave In: ^^^^
    Stylers: AIF, Natural Silks Curly Gel
    *Desert Curly*
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 11,970Registered Users Curl Novice
    In general, my clumping improves if I make sure that I leave in some conditioner after rinsing. Sometimes I just leave in extra, or after rinsing, scrunch in a tiny bit extra. I've found this better than using a leave-in.

I've found Curl Junkie Cocoa Creme Lite (CCCL) really helpful. Also try AG:recoil, although that might be a little drying.

The super soaker technique and Smaster's techniques have helped with clumping also. For sealing which I do sometimes, I use the oil that is below in my siggy. It's very lightweight. I only use it on the ends.

Please post back and let us know which ideas/techniques are most helpful. We can all use help in this area. :wave:
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • jojocurljojocurl Posts: 12Registered Users
    Well, I've tried the denman brush, and can't get it to work. Even with super soaker method, I just get curls that are even less clumpy than usual. I have had my best clumping when I just finger comb, apply and leave in extra conditioner, followed by gel. I do this all to very wet hair and scrunch it in upside down. The only problem is one day it will be amazing and another, I will do the very same thing and it is only ok?