Transitioning damaged damaged hair

NaturalDiamondNaturalDiamond Posts: 6Registered Users
Hey ladies im Diamond (yes my real name) and im 21. Ok so let me start from the beginning ... I transitioned for 6 months and everything was going fine until I rekindled old flames with a ex and felt like I needs to relax my hair to become more beautiful to him. (shame on me) so I then went in vacation and while coming my hair out with conditioner it started coming out in large chunks I was DEVESTATED! I came to the conclusion that it was sit to the relaxer. I've decided to go natural again and Iam now 5 months in :-) my hair is badly damaged though from where it fell and thinned out :-( I've been wearing a lot of protective hairstyles weaves, box braides. My scalp is extremely dry and itchy sometimes and so is my hair I need advice on what I should do?! I'm slowly losing it... Should I just cut all my relaxed ends off? Or continue to let my hair ESP. The thin spots grow out? I feel like the relaxed ends may be preventing my natural hair to grow in healthy . But if I cut it I'm scared it may expose the thinner spots at the crown of my head... I'm so sad and lost right now please help..

Comments

• quietstormRNquietstormRN Posts: 21Registered Users
    Hey Diamond...I started my transition with damage/thinning as well. My left side is wayyy thinner than my right (not sure how that happened) and I had some severe breakage in the back.
    Im around 4.5 months post and only decided to transition and start taking care of my hair 1.5 months ago and my hair has already made a big turn around. Im holding on to my ends because Im a busy mom and I need to be able to pull my hair back when Im too tired or too busy to mess with it. Ive been good about setting it most of the time lately, but I cant promise I can do it 100% of the time and I cant just go out looking like Alfalfa lol.

I suggest giving yourself a mini chop...cutting off thin ends and the areas where its broken take off 1/4 to 1/2 inch at least. That way at lease you will be starting without split ends that may travel up the shaft.
    Prepooing with oil, shampooing with a sulfate free poo, and deep conditioning weekly has really helped my hair. Then mid week I cowash. That may be too often for you, it depends on your hair.

As far as your scalp issues, I was suffering with the same issue, but when I started doing ACV rinses I am happy to say Im now problem free from dry, itchy, flaky scalp.

What is your hair type and what is your current routine and what products are you using?

event.png

• askmeaskme Posts: 42Registered Users
    :hello2: I recommend you a good hair product that can help you to restore your hair, it's Pro Naturals Moroccan Argan Oil which protects the hair, makes it stronger and leaves it soft, shiny, frizz less and healthy again. If you are interested you can check it out at safrons. com (I bought it there).
    Good luck girl ^_^
  • quietstormRNquietstormRN Posts: 21Registered Users

event.png

• WumiWumi Posts: 185Registered Users
    Good luck![/QUOTE]
    :thumbdown:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

No heat since August 2015 :)
  • NaturalDiamondNaturalDiamond Posts: 6Registered Users
    Omg.. Thanks everyone =] I have started just recently using the aragan oil and I love it but just on my scalp being that I have box braids in right now. The first time I tried transitioning I was using the cantu Shea butter, organic root stimulator olive oil lotion, and African pride hair skin oil. I was doing curly braid out and Bantu knots. I loved it. But I can't do those styles no with broken hair in the back. My hair type I believe is a mixture of 4b and 4c
    Here is a pick of some new growth I hope you can see a little 43566bb4-8da9-de22.jpg

And here is my protective style now 43566bb4-8de7-7470.jpg43566bb4-8e2a-6c7e.jpg
  • CurlySimoneCurlySimone Posts: 13Registered Users
    Hello Diamond and other readers of this thread. You have a few options to choose from with treating your hair and getting back on the road to healthy, natural hair. Depending on the length of your hair and how much is relaxer versus natural, you could do the BIG chop. I highly recommend this option because when natural hair meets with relaxed hair, it can cause damage which leads to breakage- they just don't mesh at all. It would be a breath of fresh air to your scalp and hair if you followed this step followed by a moisturizing shampoo (e.g. Cream of Nature Ultra Moisturizing Shampoo) followed by a deep conditioner (e.g. Motions Deep Conditioning Repair Treatment- very moisturizing and conditioning). As a daily styling aid and I recommend Cantu Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioning Treatment. Follow with extra olive oil such as Palmer's Olive Oil Spray Treatment (you can find @Walmart). I use this oil every day and spray it on my scalp and throughout my hair.

Your other option would be not do the BIG chop, but you'll should definitely trim your ends every 4-6 weeks, use a moisturizing shampoo and deep conditioner, and be sure to add some form of moisture regimen to your every night before you go to bed (e.g. Palmer's Olive Oil Spray). Wrap your hair with a silk scarf to retain moisture in your hair. You can also try some of the hair products that was suggested by other people who replied with their advice.

I hope this feedback helps. If anyone has any further questions or need advise feel free to ask me.
    Curly Simone
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    LOL these companies kill me thinking we're not smart enough to figure out they are trying to be cheap not buying an ad and instead write that obvious commercial in a forum. The language even sounds like a commercial. I doubt anyone thought that mess was legit. Pah leese!!!
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • hippiedollhippiedoll Posts: 398Registered Users
    Hi Diamond,

When I first started transitioning, I had damaged hair. My last relaxer broke off a section of hair in a patch. This had happened once before about 2 years ago. It took a year for my damage to growth back. It does take a while for damaged hair to grow back. Weekly deep conditioning treatments are recommended. Getting a serious hair cut is also key but this is up to you. I cut off the damaged dry relaxed hair that was remaining in the patch of hair that fell out after having my hair relaxed. I did a lot of homemade treatments to help boost strength and moisture back into my hair. I'm around 4 months post relaxer and my damaged hair is growing back pretty well. I also used coconut oil and other essential oils to help stimulate hair growth. I'm now starting to use Black Jamaican Castor oil for growth. Overall, try to keep your hair and scalp clean on a weekly basis. Try to be patient, its going to take several months to a year for your hair to be back to normal/length it was once before.
    Products I'm currently :love10::
    • Karen's Body Beautiful Sweet Ambrosia (Vanilla Latte scent)
    • Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk
    • Certified Organic Coconut Oil
    • Karen's Body Beautiful Heavenly Jojoba Oil
      Staple Deep Conditioners: Giovanni Direct Leave-in and Karen's Body Beautiful Luscious Locks Hair Mask :love5:
      Recent newbie to the Curly Girl Method
      6 months post relaxer. I will be 7 months post September 17 !! :occasion9:
      Hey hippiedoll! Our transitioning sounds similar! I've taken everything into consideration and decided its best for me to just get rid nod the damaged relaxed hair all together. I'm setting my BC either for the weekend June 22nd or the July 6 once i take my braids out and see the growth.
    • hippiedollhippiedoll Posts: 398Registered Users
      If your hair is not damaged all over, you may not have to do a BC if you don't want to. If you have enough hair to cover up the damage is fine. Or do more protective styles. I wore a lot of braid outs and buns to cover up the patch. The first time my hair broke off in a patch it started off as a dime size amount then turned into two large quarter sizes. The second time it happened before I started transitioning it was not as large, maybe nickel size. The first time I was going to BC but a hair stylist convinced me it wasn't the relaxers it was because I wasn't taking care of my hair correctly. This wasn't true but they suckered me into getting anther relaxer and behold the condition of my hair didn't improve To make a long story short, it's going to take some time for your damaged hair to grow out. It may grow slower than the rest of your hair especially if it's been damaged from a chemically. I cut the damaged section off almost 4 months ago and I'm now starting to see growth in that area. Try to be patient with you hair like I said before. Increase your deep conditioning treatments and throw in a little protein every now and then, and you should be fine. I hope this helps!
      Products I'm currently :love10::
      • Karen's Body Beautiful Sweet Ambrosia (Vanilla Latte scent)
      • Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk
      • Certified Organic Coconut Oil
      • Karen's Body Beautiful Heavenly Jojoba Oil
        Staple Deep Conditioners: Giovanni Direct Leave-in and Karen's Body Beautiful Luscious Locks Hair Mask :love5:
        Recent newbie to the Curly Girl Method
        6 months post relaxer. I will be 7 months post September 17 !! :occasion9:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
      Emoji
      Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
      Drop image/file