CurlTalk

Favorite facial cleansers from drugstore?

LindseyLoo003LindseyLoo003 Posts: 120Registered Users
I was wondering what any of your favorites might be? I like to purpose from rite aid bcuz its the gentlest I could find. I've tried cetaphil gentle cleanser, it was gentle but clogged pores. I've got sensitive skin that's prone to light breakouts. I've been successful with gentle cleansing toning and spot treating then moisturizing.

Does anybody have any recs for a facial cleanser that I can buy for less than 15 bucks? Also moisturizers that are non-comedogenic? Currently using neutrogena sheer sunscreen spf 30. Not sure if this is good for night time but I really like it BC its so light and never clogs and sort of mattes my face.
Would like to hear your favorite cleansers and moisturizers?

Sent from my Droid using CurlTalk App

Comments

• BlackAngelPlayahBlackAngelPlayah Posts: 1,419Registered Users
    :afro:FroZen:afro:
  • BlackAngelPlayahBlackAngelPlayah Posts: 1,419Registered Users
    I just use Dove soap. It is gentle and doesn't irritate my eczema. The sensitive skin one is best if you break out easily.

😜🍸Sent LIVE from my JPhone 4 using some CurlTalk app. 😜🍸

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2FAfroCurls.wordpress.com" class="Popup
    :afro:FroZen:afro:
  • LindseyLoo003LindseyLoo003 Posts: 120Registered Users
    Thanks. I like the dove soap. Haven't Used it in a long time though. Once a friend of mine had a dermatologist recommended this to her. Do you use toner after ?

• Alice_42 Alice_42 Posts: 791Registered Users
    ack my comment got deleted!
    event.png

Last relaxer: August 2008
    Big Chop: December 2008/January 2009
    Blog: Alice in Nappyland
  • Alice_42 Alice_42 Posts: 791Registered Users
    I've got super sensitive skin and I use Shea Moisture's Black Soap (link takes you to a full review I wrote for my blog about how much I love it), you can get an 8oz bar for $5 at most Targets. And it lasts FOR EVER. I break it into sections and use pieces because it's that big.

For moisturizer, I use cetaphil's moisturizing cream at night and just plain old sunblock during the day. You only need a tiny bit of the moisturizing cream (unless you have crazy dry skin) so a big jar of it lasts me a long while. It's a great body cream too!
    event.png

Last relaxer: August 2008
    Big Chop: December 2008/January 2009
    Blog: Alice in Nappyland
  • mcherycemcheryce Posts: 363Registered Users
    Cleanser - clean and clear foaming facial cleanser sensitive skin
    Moisturizer - cerave moisturizing lotion
  • Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Posts: 4,162Registered Users
    My favorite cleanser is Philosophy's Purity Made Simple. I've heard that Neutrogena's Naturals Cleanser (the one in the pump) is very close to it for a drug store product (i've never tried the Neutrogena...this is based off of several beauty blogs I follow).

I think if you liked the cetaphil gentle cleanser then you would like either of these (going on the assumption that the neutrogena works the same as the purity made simple). I tried cetaphil and like you it was a bit too heavy and it cause clogged pores and breakouts. The purity made simple is very lite, mildly foams, but removes dirt, oil, and makeup w/o striping my skin. I use it with my clarsonic in the summer to help keep my oily skin clear.

Other cleansers I like

-Neutrogena Pore Clearing Cleanser (contains AHA to keep pores clear)
    -Philosophy's Mico Delivery Wash (very fine physical exfoliator)
    Wanna talk products? Come Join us here!
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FPlatinumPJ" class="Popup

Extremely thick, kinky curls/coils that have a mind of thier own!!!!

12459237.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,251Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Phisoderm Deep Cleansing Cream
    Noxzema Cleansing Cream

I also cleanse with oils a few nights a week and use baking soda mixed with water as a gentle scrub once a week or so.
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
  • CurvyCurlyCurvyCurly Posts: 442Registered Users
    A derm recommended Cetaphil, Purpose, and Basis face soaps. Tried the Cetaphil and Purpose with no luck however the Basis bar soap was a major hit AND it's less than $2.00 a bar. My skin is sensitive, oily, and prone to breakouts. This soap cleans my skin well without stripping it. I do use a toner afterwards and a moisturizer.

Good luck. HTH
    (Current Rotation) Shampoo: Trader Joe's TTT, Terressentials, Elucence, Curl Junkie Daily Fix Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Curl Junkie Curl Rehab Leave-in/Moisturizer: Qhemet's BRBC Gel: Tresemme Oils: Grapeseed, jojoba, evoo, sweet almond, castor....BIG CHOPPED AGAIN!
  • caramix3acaramix3a Posts: 460Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    CeraVe Hydrating - I used Cetaphil for about 11 years with good luck but last year, the sulfates in it started drying and irritating my skin. CeraVe Hydrating is very good and easy on the skin but still cleans. Face feels great afterward, like a more expensive cleanser.
    Haven't bought a new cleanser yet still using purpose and had the idea to use an acv water mix to tone after and it works well to bring my skin back to normal after washing. Also I'm using fruit of the earth aloe Vera gel as my night moisturizer after treating spots and its been working really well and no clogs. Any one else?

• jaclyn15jaclyn15 Posts: 227Registered Users
    I love aveeno positively radiant. I find it mild but it still removes makeup and feels fresh!
    My hair: 3b, corkicelli, medium porosity, medium texture, medium/thick density

Co-wash: DevaCurl NoPoo
    Rinse-out: GVP Conditioning Balm
    Leave-in: KCKT, Suave Naturals Coconut, or my rinse-out!
    Gel: SS FHG (my new HG!!)... I also like HESMU, AIF, CJ CQ, BRHG, CJ PP and the occasional LALSG

Dislikes: Glycerin

CG and loving it! :hello1:
  • 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,480Registered Users
    caramix3a wrote: »
    CeraVe Hydrating - I used Cetaphil for about 11 years with good luck but last year, the sulfates in it started drying and irritating my skin. CeraVe Hydrating is very good and easy on the skin but still cleans. Face feels great afterward, like a more expensive cleanser.

+1 for the CeraVe - fantastic cleanser! I prefer the hydrating cleanser over the foaming cleanser, and I have combination skin. I also like their pm moisturizer for when I'm feeling particularly dry - and sometimes put it only on my cheeks. They also have a daytime moisturizer w/sunscreen, if you're interested in that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• JLeighsJLeighs Posts: 904Registered Users Curl Novice
    Earth Science A-D-E Creamy Cleanser is the best cleanser I've ever used. It's not a drugstore cleanser, but it can be found at Whole Foods and health food stores. I think it's $8.99 for an 8oz pump bottle.
    2C/3A, fine, higher porosity.
  • caramix3acaramix3a Posts: 460Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    "+1 for the CeraVe - fantastic cleanser! I prefer the hydrating cleanser over the foaming cleanser, and I have combination skin. I also like their pm moisturizer for when I'm feeling particularly dry - and sometimes put it only on my cheeks. They also have a daytime moisturizer w/sunscreen, if you're interested in that."

Actually I use both the CeraVe AM and PM lotions - good stuff at very reasonable prices. I alternate the PM lotion with Neutrogena's Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle Cream. Another good drugstore cleanser although one has to go to the pharmacist area to get it(sometimes they'll have one right then, but if they have to order it it's usually in in a day or two at most) is Aquaglycolic Facial Cleanser that has an effective level of alpha hydroxy acids in it for exfoliation. I use this like a mini-mask every other day, since I can't use leave-on AHA products(skin doesn't like them that way). Often, a treatment cleanser is the only way a somewhat reactive skin can use something active like an exfoliant. Scrubs don't do much for me, but the acidic cleanser does really improve texture and brightness overall, at almost 65 here.
  • Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Posts: 4,162Registered Users
    caramix3a wrote: »
    "+1 for the CeraVe - fantastic cleanser! I prefer the hydrating cleanser over the foaming cleanser, and I have combination skin. I also like their pm moisturizer for when I'm feeling particularly dry - and sometimes put it only on my cheeks. They also have a daytime moisturizer w/sunscreen, if you're interested in that."

Actually I use both the CeraVe AM and PM lotions - good stuff at very reasonable prices. I alternate the PM lotion with Neutrogena's Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle Cream. Another good drugstore cleanser although one has to go to the pharmacist area to get it(sometimes they'll have one right then, but if they have to order it it's usually in in a day or two at most) is Aquaglycolic Facial Cleanser that has an effective level of alpha hydroxy acids in it for exfoliation. I use this like a mini-mask every other day, since I can't use leave-on AHA products(skin doesn't like them that way). Often, a treatment cleanser is the only way a somewhat reactive skin can use something active like an exfoliant. Scrubs don't do much for me, but the acidic cleanser does really improve texture and brightness overall, at almost 65 here.

Ah! I've been trying to figure out why I can't find the aquaglycolic cleanser! When I go home to GA it's on the shelf with the rest of the cleansers, but here in MD I never can find it. Never thought to ask the pharmacist for it!

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
    Wanna talk products? Come Join us here!
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FPlatinumPJ" class="Popup

Extremely thick, kinky curls/coils that have a mind of thier own!!!!

12459237.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,095Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Phisoderm Deep Cleansing Cream
    Noxzema Cleansing Cream

I also cleanse with oils a few nights a week and use baking soda mixed with water as a gentle scrub once a week or so.

i used to use noxzema only as a teen, then after i got married (we lived overseas for two years, it was unavailable) i stopped using it, forgot about it. recently i was remembering it (maybe an episode of mad men triggered it, LOL!), wondering if it was still on the market. i loved the stuff! liked the way my face felt and looked with it. so this morning i am off to rite aid to pick up a few things, noxzema will be one. i hope it is as good as i remember.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: cj aloe fix gel, cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab.
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,251Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    ^^ It's one of the few things out there that seems the same as it was 40 years ago. I still love that smell.
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,095Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    right! i just got back from the store and had to immediately open the jar to sniff it!

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: cj aloe fix gel, cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab.
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users
    I have oily, acne prone, sensitive skin that I have under excellent control now. And you definitely can tell I've ever had any serious acne issues in my life.

My favorite gentle cleansers from the drugstore are Purpose and Basis. I prefer Purpose but I definitely keep bars of Basis around for backup.

As far as an acne wash. I LOVE PanOxyl, an acne cleansing bar. They do make a cream wash in a tube but I like the bar better. With the ingredient list I initially thought it would be hell on my skin but I've used it for a few years now and I absolutely love it. Anytime I've left it to try something else I always go crawling back because for my skin it's incredible. I use it with my Clarisonic.
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
    *Marah* wrote: »
    I have oily, acne prone, sensitive skin that I have under excellent control now. And you definitely can tell I've ever had any serious acne issues in my life.

My favorite gentle cleansers from the drugstore are Purpose and Basis. I prefer Purpose but I definitely keep bars of Basis around for backup.

As far as an acne wash. I LOVE PanOxyl, an acne cleansing bar. They do make a cream wash in a tube but I like the bar better. With the ingredient list I initially thought it would be hell on my skin but I've used it for a few years now and I absolutely love it. Anytime I've left it to try something else I always go crawling back because for my skin it's incredible. I use it with my Clarisonic.

Hi nice to hear you got your skin under control. I have combination skin that's acne prone and right now after 8 weeks of gentle cleansing, gently applying BP and then moisturizing. I had a moderate case at it's worst stage when I was most frustrated, but I usually had light cases. Anyways, I've heard alot about the medicated washes and might try that because I have such sensitive skin. I used them in high school with pretty good results but never moisturized back then after and we know that dry skin isn't good for acne.

Btw I just bought the loreal go 360 clean for sensitive skin. I don't plan on using it with the scrublet. I washed with it last night and I liked it better than my purpose, it felt less drying on my skin.
    *Marah* wrote: »

Hi nice to hear you got your skin under control. I have combination skin that's acne prone and right now after 8 weeks of gentle cleansing, gently applying BP and then moisturizing. I had a moderate case at it's worst stage when I was most frustrated, but I usually had light cases. Anyways, I've heard alot about the medicated washes and might try that because I have such sensitive skin. I used them in high school with pretty good results but never moisturized back then after and we know that dry skin isn't good for acne.

Btw I just bought the loreal go 360 clean for sensitive skin. I don't plan on using it with the scrublet. I washed with it last night and I liked it better than my purpose, it felt less drying on my skin.

I really like Acne.org products. That's what I use mainly for acne control. I used Proactiv for many years and Acne Free. They both work nicely for me but I feel like the Acne.org products are more gentle on my skin. Plus I feel like the man that created it really understands the struggle of people with Acne and he's done a fantastic job with his line. I really love Acne.org's jojoba moisturizer because the BP can really dry me out but the jojoba moisturizer totally counteracts it for me. I don't use it every single day though. I might use it 2-3 times a week and all the other days I actually use Clean & Clear Advantage Acne Control Moisturizer. I'm extremely pleased with the results.

I use the Purpose or Basis really to just remove my makeup. And I use the PanOxyl with my Clarisonic about 3-4 times a week before I go to bed.

I tried the Loreal Go 360 too.. I hated it. I didn't feel like my skin was fully clean.
  • germanbellagermanbella Posts: 62Registered Users
    Cetaphil works great on sensitive skin( cleanser is gentle and lotion is so soft!)
    3b hair
    normal porosity
    medium density
    fine/med. strands

Co wash: Suave,As I am Co-wash, alba drink me up coconut milk Tresmme Nat., Foxy curls cond.
    DT: Organics Cholesterol, Tea-tree oil, Hot 6 oil, Carols Daughters Khoret Amen, Tui Oil
    LI: ? Vo5 Coconut
    Style: Ecostyler (HG?)
    Oils: Vitamin E, Olive Oil, Tui Oil
    www.iherb.com GDF395 is worth up to $10.00 off any order by a first-time customer
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3/20/2013
  • Parissy198907Parissy198907 Posts: 479Registered Users
    I second the SheaMoisture Black Soap Body/Face wash. I get mine from Target. Their lavender face/body wash is good as well but I like the black soap better.
    It leaves my face feeling clean and moisturized which is rare for a soap.

I use a bentonite clay mask(Aztec brand), available at Walgreens, every couple of months. I mix with equal parts of raw apple cider vinegar so it's a deep cleansing pore reducing mask and the ACV acts a toner.
    14905839.png
  • danyel02danyel02 Posts: 156Registered Users
    I know it was mentioned already but I really love the Neutrogena Naturals Purifying facial cleanser as my got to cheap drugstore buy. It leaves my face clean but not stripped. I love using it with my clarisonic plus. I have combination oily skin with dry patches on my cheeks and this soap finally deals with both issues without causing any irritation. I would definately try it out.

If you don't mind ordering online, I get a really great facial cleanser called Skin Appetit - Detoxifying Nutri-Cleanser from drugstore.com. It is $15.00 and it is chalked full of anti-oxidents and vitamins. I actually leave it on my face and brush my teeth and then rinse. My face feels like silk after.
    Type: 4a Fine Texture
    CG since 2008 - Life long natural
    Holy Grails
    Cleanser: Elucence Moisture Benefits Shampoo
    Conditioner: Jessicurl Too Shea!
    Leave-ins: Camille Rose Moisture Milk & Almond Jai
    D/T: Spiral Solutions Deeply Decadent Treatment
    Protein: Curl Junkie Repair Me
    Butters: Qhemet Amla & Olive, Bask Condensed Custard
    Oils: Coconut & Grapeseed
  • RednaturalcurlsRednaturalcurls Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    I like Biore Steam activated cleanser. It helps dry up my pimples and has a little tingly feeling that gets me going in the morning.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using CurlTalk App
    Hair Type: mix of 3's, growing out an angled bob, color-treated red.
    Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
    Hair idol: Kimberly Schlapman from Little Big Town

I use a bentonite clay mask(Aztec brand), available at Walgreens, every couple of months. I mix with equal parts of raw apple cider vinegar so it's a deep cleansing pore reducing mask and the ACV acts a toner.

I forgot to mention this...I use the Aztec clay too and I use it with Bragg Apple Cider Vingear (I order them both from Vitacost). I make a mask and I do it about 2x per month. Works great.
  • kstankstan Posts: 423Registered Users
    sorry cetaphil wasn't a good match for you. I use their body wash formula for my face, and their lotion on my face, and then their spf 50 sunscreen. :D I also use a washcloth that's scrubby on one side for a gentle exfoliation in the shower.

I can't use anything with salicylic acid in it or sulfur. I also was super excited for bare minerals when it came out. Until it turned my face red, made my skin tight, and burned for the next 3 days. I'm apparently super sensitive. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    started CG on 6/25/12. :duckie:
    • 2c with a strait underneath
    • normal elasticity on top, none on the underneath
    • Fine side of Normal
    • Thick hair
    • Poriosity is a mystery. I think its all over the place.
  • sloka25sloka25 Posts: 78Registered Users
    Clean & Clear Continuous Control, the only face wash that keeps my acne at bay!
  • GroovyEyeGroovyEye Posts: 52Registered Users
    I have been using Spectro Gel ever since my dermatologist recommended it to me as a teen, and I've kept with it for 20 years. Never had skin problems!
    * 3B curls, thick/coarse, low porosity, and high density *
    Co-wash: Garnier Triple Nutrition or Herbal Essence Color Me Happy or Herbal Essence Hydralicious Self-Targeting or Suave Professionals Almond & Shea Butter - Detangler: The Wet Brush - Leave-in: Giovanni Direct - Styling cream: Eden Bodyworks Coconut All Natural Curl Defining Cream - Styling gel: Jessicurl Spiralicious - Extra shine: The Body Shop Beautifying Oil in Mango or Coconut - Color: Pravana Vivids in Too Cute Coral