Combing

x_tigerlilyx_tigerlily Registered Users Posts: 432 Curl Neophyte
How often do you do it?

I never combed regularly and I would get a ton of knots and matted pieces of hair. Now I'm trying to get into the habit of at least combing once a week.
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.
3C/4A and too long to handle (and afford!)

Comments

• toosweet118toosweet118 Registered Users Posts: 108
    Do you mean dry or wet? I comb everytime I wet my hair with some conditioner. That's it. Combing my hair dry would be a disaster of epic proportions :shock:
    3B-C - Trader Joe Nourish CO, BB Soft Curls & Swirls ,Honey, FOTE, Jessicurl WDT.....+ Good weather = Great hair! :flower:
  • CanocurlsCanocurls Registered Users Posts: 170
    I voted other. I must detangle my hair with a comb every single time that I conditioner wash. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Remember Rosa
    Type: 3/4
  • x_tigerlilyx_tigerlily Registered Users Posts: 432 Curl Neophyte
    toosweet118, either way! I think most of us wet comb. I can't imagine combing my hair without any water or conditioner or oil. :shock: Well, not anymore. I used to brush my hair dry when I was younger....No wonder it was a undefined poof ball. :lol::lol:
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    I've taken to combing every 2-3 days wet or day 2+ damp hair with a dab of Robert Craig conditioner -- it's a great detangler. Combing helps me with curl elongation. Only comb my hair dry when I have to color and then I also use RC conditioner on dry hair to detangle.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
    I don't need much help with curl elongation because my hair rarely shrinks...it shrinks way less than other curlies. :?:
  • Ashkins1118Ashkins1118 Registered Users Posts: 786
    I was going to post a thread on this too! I used to do it once a week, but it would take close to three hours to do really well. My hair has been so dry lately, so detangling hurts even worse. I have tried combing every two to three days when I condition, and I think it will help with tangles. So far, it has left my hair softer and more defined. It should help cut down on the days I REALLY detangle, since it wont be as bad.
    Super Thick corkscrews and waves. LOVE Elucence MBC, Giovanni 50/50 condish, Qhemet Products, V05 Calming Chamomile Tea Therapy condish, Jessicurl WDT. These are my official HG's that I love oh so much
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Curlypad?feature=mhum

comic-p.jpg
    Yeah, I get my mom to do it for me ( :oops: ) and it takes about an hour. But if I was doing it myself, it would take much longer.
  • st. louis bluest. louis blue Registered Users Posts: 404
    tigerlily, how often do you wet your hair?
    I wet/condition my hair daily unless I'm just hanging around the home. When I apply my conditioner, I rake most of through my hair with my fingers.
  • st. louis bluest. louis blue Registered Users Posts: 404
    I wonder if you combed through it every day when it's wet and full of conditioner, whether after a couple of days it wouldn't take an hour, but instead just a few minutes.

I use to comb my hair about once a week, but we-and-fingercomb everyday, and the knots were intractable. Combing through it every day definitely made the whole project manageable.
    I know, but combing breaks up my curls into little frizzy pieces. I don't think I could comb every day and have nice looking curls.
  • pixelpixel Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 43
    I wash and deep condition my hair once a week. I comb the conditioner through before I sit under the dryer.
    Very fine 3c with a little 4a sprinkled in at the crown to make things interesting!
  • ClaritaClarita Registered Users Posts: 198 Curl Connoisseur
    I comb my hair about every 2-3 days in the shower after I've let my conditioner sink in a few minutes. On the other days I just finger comb it. I used to comb it every week, but my hair got too tangly.

ETA: I may increase my combing since I just got my new Mason Pearson rake comb in the mail today! Only a person obsessed with their hair would get this excited over a comb :lol: .
    Texture: Fine
    Porosity: Low
    Elasticity: Low
    Density: Medium/High...I think

~~Lots of Little S-Curls and Corkscrews~~
  • JusticeDSTJusticeDST Registered Users Posts: 96
    Combing...it depends

I finger comb my hair everyday with conditioner; however, I only use an actual comb or maybe a denman brush once a month.
  • ~Curly~~Curly~ Banned Banned Users Posts: 772
    I Comb my hair everyday, it must be wet, or :cry: will follow.... it takes 5 mins to comb my hair... I don't understand people not combing there hair daily and why it takes so long to comb it out 4hrs :shock:
    Because if I comb it daily, I lose my curl definition and I'll end up with wavy frizz instead of curls.
  • msgdfx1msgdfx1 Registered Users Posts: 106
    I rarely comb my hair with an actual comb. However, I fingercomb my hair in the shower every time that I cleanse (which is twice a week). I am following the CG routine and this gives me great clumping.
    3C and natural for 5 years:angel10:.
  • CaleilaniCaleilani Registered Users Posts: 728
    The only time I comb my hair is after washing and conditioning once a week with leave-in and Proclaim Curl Activator gel,it stays smooth all week until I get ready to wash it again.
    3B-3C, alittle past tailbone length,age:41 years
  • LadydncingLadydncing Registered Users Posts: 964
    I usually finger comb, but at least once a week I try to use a comb (wet with conditioner of course) :)
    Maya
    3b/c CG routine
    HG line DevaCurl
    Password: Locks

event.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file