Peach kernel oil/curl and clumping

medusahairmedusahair Registered Users Posts: 3,515
Well it came in the mail today so I had to wet my hair again.

I wet my hair well then just conditioned with embc with some peach kernel oil mixed in. Tomorrow I'll no poo and then test again.

I have to say my hair is curlier than when I use jojoba oil mixed with my condish. It's real dry here so I've been adding in some oil to help with clumping.
My hair is well clumped and curlier than it was earlier. It's 30% humidity today so it sure isn't the humidity helping.

I smoothed some on my face too. It feels a little more like my natural skin oils than jojoba does.

The experiments continue tomorrow!
2c/3a?
Low porosity, medium texture.
http://public.fotki.com/Medusahair/

If it smells good put it in your hair, if it tastes good spit it out!

Comments

• medusahairmedusahair Registered Users Posts: 3,515
    I no poo'd today and used some peach kernel oil in embc as my rinse out and then my usual routine.
    I have better clumping than usual with that conditioner but nothing spectacular. It's a dry day today and embc isn't enough moisture looks like.

Tomorrow I'll try regis olive oil conditioner with some peach kernel oil and see how that does.

If nothing else it adds some much needed oils to my skin when mixed with my lotion.
    2c/3a?

• heavengirl410heavengirl410 Registered Users Posts: 821
    I will keep my fingers crossed for you, I want it to work so bad, it would be such great find, thanks for experimenting!!
    My hair is still wet so I'll edit this with the dry results and take some pics.
    Much better so far than yesterday! My hair is clumped and curly! I did use my Totally Twisted gel but I had used that with the B2b peach pom so I remember the results. I'll probably have a little less frizz and less curl enhancement from this gel but some.

I rinsed today since my sebum isn't moving down my shaft like I'd like I figure I"m cleansing too often (no poo kind) I then conditioned with REgis Olive oil with some Peach Kernel Oil mixed in it. Just maybe hmm 10 drops from a dropper? to a good handful of the conditioner, heaping handful. I needed to work it in since I didn't cleanse today.
    I left it on while I showered then worked it in more to make sure it was doing it's job and then combed with a seamless wide tooth. It was a little tangly. I get that if I just rinse and don't co wash. Not too bad though. Then I rinsed in luke warm water.
    I then hung upside down and smoothed on my leave in bwc and then finger raked through. The leave in helped that tangly feel tons. Then I scrunched out some water and put my gel on, raking it through then rescrunched. I scrunched very well with papertowels to get water out and boy did my hair spring up!
    I'm wondering if the peach kernel oil works like my sebum does? Any area that has sebum left though feels waxy and the oil felt umm just a little different but not by much.
    Anyway I diffused until the gel set. I'm air drying then I'll scrunch and post pics and my notes on how it is dry.
    before I forget it's 22% humidity here today so it dang sure isn't the moisture in the air making any difference :lol:
    2c/3a?

My hair is definitely better than yesterday. Much curlier, bigger clumps and nice long loops. It's low humidity so I couldn't expect tight curls unless a miracle happened. All in all it's going well.
    I'm going to get some leaf oil extract too since I couldn't be absolutely sure which the B2b had in it so I thought I'd cover all basis.

I put some of the oil on my face. I can't even tell its on there now. It's too dry for my skin right now so it needs some help. It's like the stuff just disappeared into my skin.

Tomorrow it's supposed to be overcast so hopefully that will be a good day to try it with more humidity yay!
    2c/3a?

• lushaholiclushaholic Registered Users Posts: 2,180
    Guess who's got 84% humidity today? :twisted: :lol: But that's only because of all the freaking snow coming down.
    3a/2c f/mii. pics added 2/3/07
    spingbannerwk6.jpghycoffeeiconuy8.gif
    You are so lucky! humidity wise not snow wise. Tomorrow should be better, I really need around 80% at least for optimal hair days. Don't the clouds understand this?

Now you need to retry everything while you have humidity to see how it will work at home! :lol:
    2c/3a?

• lushaholiclushaholic Registered Users Posts: 2,180
    Now if only I was hanging around outside in it, but being in the teens as it is and being a sucker for fashion and wearing the too-cool hat I just bought, my hair isn't able to get the full luxury of the humidity. :P
    3a/2c f/mii. pics added 2/3/07
    spingbannerwk6.jpghycoffeeiconuy8.gif
    Ahhh hats! :lol: It doesn't get cold enough here to worry with much winter wear I tell ya. I did go out in the yard several times today with the dogs to let them run and my hair is even curlier now so humidity must be rising.

At least your hair will be nice and curly poking out from under your cool hat!
    2c/3a?

Today is freeman's papaya and lime conditioner with peach kernel oil. I used this one because it's nothing special in my hair without the oil. I co washed with Suave toasted.
    I used my BWC leave in and Suave aloe gel (ok more to the name but it's long). It's still drying and I used a bit more oil since the conditioner was lacking when I tried it last.
    So far I'm curly and soft. I might get long loops despite the rain today (yay rain!) because I used more oil but I'll take pics as soon as it dries.
    I def got better clumping and more curl enhancement than when I used the conditioner without the peach oil.
    2c/3a?

Well the weather is working for me but I used too much oil as I suspected and I'm a bit oily on the underside.
    However that aside I do have better clumping and curl than I usually get with this conditioner but not as good as with the b2b peach old formula.
    I'll have to redo this one with less oil.
    I do have some spirals in the back where I'm usually wavier and the bottoms of my hair is nice and spirally in spots. So more oil at the ends will probably be a good thing with this oil.

Kenra should be here today so I can try it with that one next yay!
    2c/3a?

I took a break today since I'm going to step out into the world where the poor people have to see my hair :lol:
    My experiments are going fine but you never know when something will go amiss with me since I'm not measuring the stuff exactly.

I think I'm using a bit too much oil now that i've used the conditioner. Even on my lighter oil day. So I'm going to cut back on the amount I use and see if I can get it perfect with a non b2b conditioner.
    2c/3a?

• cmartin1cmartin1 Registered Users Posts: 152
    Medusahair -

I have been following your peach oil quest with great interest. You seem to be an innovative expert with all of this curly hair stuff.

Can you post where you purchased the oil (or the easiest, best place to get it), how many drops is advisable to start with (10 for a 2c/3a?), and any precautions (read, 2c/3a common pitfalls) to pass along re: using it?

Also, can it be added to creams or gels as a styling boost? I noticed that Garnier's C&S Leave-In Conditioning Cream has apricot kernel oil in it, so it started me thinking that adding peach kernel oil to styling products might be a good idea - what do you think? By the way, does apricot kernel oil do anything really? Do flaxoil-based gels do anything for curls?

Do you recommend Garnier's C&S Leave-in for 2c/3a hair? I thought about buying that next since it is receiving acclaim on the board, but I just can't seem to do anything right by my curls anymore :? - so I am seeking the advice of Board Sages like yourself.

Oh, can I ask you one more thing? What about Aura gels vs Magick Botanicals, which has better hold? I would like to have a less crunchy option than Suave Sculpting gel 10.

Thank you, kindly Sage of Curls!
    Shoot I'm no sage I just like to mess with my hair :lol:

I got my peach kernel oil on ebay. I don't see the exact seller listing today but I looked up peach kernel oil and I did see some sellers listing some. Sometimes they list it as a carrier oil also. Same stuff.

I mix it in with my DT along with jojoba oil. I don't have a dropper but it's maybe 1/8 teaspoon of each this time of year, during the winter it was 1/4 teaspoon of each. I mix it up with my conditioner real well. Play with the amount because too much will give me slightly oily hair. I use a big palmful of conditioner with these amounts.

If my hair is a bit dry or not clumping well I'll add it to my regular conditioner too. I'd guess 10 drops in my conditioner mixed in my hand.

That Garnier Fructis Curl and Shine is what I'm using right now. It has glycerin in it so it ought to be good in your hair too. The apricot works a lot like the peach and for me at least it's curl enhancing and man does it make my hair clump up well.

Aura is a nice gel, I haven't used the other one to compare it to though. Aura is pretty cheap and I can get it local so I went with that one.
    HE Totally twisted gel is real low on the crunch and is a nice gel. Oh and the Suave #7 has a lighter hold. It's like the old Antifrizz formula only without the aloe.
    I have a couple of real light hold gels that some liked but didn't work for me, Loreal melting Gel and Giovanni twirl and curl scrunching gel. If you like no crunch light hold I'll send them to you to try. Pm me with your addy.

I haven't noticed anything about flaxoil sorry!
    2c/3a?

• echokittenechokitten Registered Users Posts: 1,751
    Medusahair,
    You probably already know this but just in case...
    Suave Citrus Smoothie has peach extract as the 4th ingredient, I just read on the label of the one I have.
    Or is it the peach kernal oil particularly that works for you?
    Cincinnati Ohio>>>Coarse protein sensitive 3a, Jessicurl WDT as a leave in, Biotera gel, White Boots, PW= coffeecurls

"Man tries to exaggerate what nature has given him," Charles Darwin (1809-1882).

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." -Sophia Loren
    I think most of it is peach kernel oil. But I"m not sure if it's the peach leaf oil or kernel.

I am aware of that but thanks for thinking of me! As soon as I'm out of my White rain I'm back to the suave citrus smoothie.
    2c/3a?

• heavengirl410heavengirl410 Registered Users Posts: 821
    mh- have you used apricot oil like you do the peach oil? I have seen it locally and have been very tempted to get some to expirement with. What do you think?
    I havne't used the apricot oil but one of my favorite conditioners from last summer has it in there. I'd certainly try it. GF C&S has that in it.
    2c/3a?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file