Baggying, am I the only one?

Comments

• GoddessLalaGoddessLala Posts: 351Registered Users
    Just started back baggying my hair. I remember when I first started transitioning, I baggied every day or every other day. I'm going to alternate with baggying and the GHE. Hoping to reach APL curly by October 2013 (or sooner, I hope, since I'm brushing SL curly at the moment).
  • DepressedCurlsDepressedCurls Posts: 836Registered Users
    Just started back baggying my hair. I remember when I first started transitioning, I baggied every day or every other day. I'm going to alternate with baggying and the GHE. Hoping to reach APL curly by October 2013 (or sooner, I hope, since I'm brushing SL curly at the moment).

Can you explain GHE? What's the difference between the two?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using CurlTalk App
    And with baggying, the next morning you do wash your hair right? you don't leave it in?

• JohariJohari Posts: 673Registered Users
    Does it make a difference how you put your hair up, under the bag? I do a bun, but should i leave it down or does it really matter?

And if i start doing one treatment with coconut oil (vatika oil) a week, will it be protein overload? Because the products i use on my hair after i wash, 2/3 times a week, all have protein. Eco styler Krystal as my gel and vo5 or sm enhancing smoothie as a leave in.

If its been color then it can take more protein but id say try adding atleast one that's moisturizing....and how is the vatika oil because I've heard good things about it but someone on youtube said it had DHTB or somthing like that and its harmful if used in large doses.
    Oh yeah, i plan on also doing a deep conditioning treatment with honey and oil and gvp conditioning balm..and idk what that is but i love vatika oil. It takes me using my shea moisture shampoo to rinse out, but it makes my hair feel amazing. I used to use it several times a week and some people use it to seal even.

Sounds good the honey makes my hair feel smooth/silky
    Mine too. :)
    Right now I'm baggying with honey, jojoba oil, and the shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie in efforts to try and figure out a better use for this smoothie. Just didn't work as a leave in. And i did my scalp with grapeseed and peppermint oil.

Am i baggying wrong? I just read on a hair blog that baggying is just applying a moisturizer to your hair lightly or ends and placing a bag over it. Sometimes without moisturizing. But I've been basically mixing up a deep conditioner and then applying it to my hair then baggying over night. Is this gonna be bad? I only planned to do it 3 times a week, but i don't want to make my hair mushy like they warned about? Idk. I just don't wanna do more harm than good.

• PRINCETONPRINCETON Posts: 872Registered Users
    @DepressedCurls IDK but you have to do what's best for you.

I have a lot of hair so most of the suggested amounts don't apply to me. I like to get mines really saturated.

You still have to consider alternating protein treatments versus moisturizing treatments etc.

Plus I fully rinse mines out and reapply more conditioner in the morning.
    Thats what I'm doing. One protein baggy treatment and one moisturizing one a week. And that's what i do as well, rinse it out then apply more conditioner. This is what works for me so I'll stick to it then. Thanks!

• GoddessLalaGoddessLala Posts: 351Registered Users

Can you explain GHE? What's the difference between the two?

It's late and my brain is mush, but a difference in GHE involved oiling or stimulating your scalp before applying the condish or moisturizer or what have you and then putting the shower cap/baggy over your hair. GHE supposedly stimulates growth whereas baggying allows you to retain length. I'll find the link and link it here in the morning.

Here's the link that explains the difference:
    http://care4curls.com/2011/09/27/differences-between-baggying-and-the-green-house-effect/
    Ah just seen this! Thank you. I understand now, idk which i do. I guess baggying is more so what i do. I moisturize now with honey and conditioner mix, then jojoba oil and use grapeseed and peppermint oil on my scalp. I'm doing this now. I should've done it yesterday but i slacked. I'm aiming for 3 times a week or so. One of those times being a protein based one. Hopefully you ladies are successfully doing this as well. :)

Anyone else still baggying? I'm doing it now. :D

• mollymmollym Posts: 31Registered Users
    I learned about baggying about a week ago and have been loving it ever since! I don't really do protein ones because my hair is so coarse, but so far Tresemme Naturals or GVPCB with a little olive oil have made my hair super moisturized!
    CG since July 2012!
    3a; mediumish porosity, medium/coarse, high density
    Cleansers: Suave Naturals, VO5, SM shea butter shampoo, TJ TTT shampoo
    Conditioners: GVPCB, Tresemme Naturals, TJ TTT
    Stylers: LALS, La Bella gel, SM curl milk, coconut/olive oil
    mollym wrote: »
    I learned about baggying about a week ago and have been loving it ever since! I don't really do protein ones because my hair is so coarse, but so far Tresemme Naturals or GVPCB with a little olive oil have made my hair super moisturized!

Lol that's exactly what i use. Except i add honey and jojoba! :)

FYI: to update everyone I've been bagging for about 3-4 times a week now. Getting lots of complements on the luster it's providing.

Some nights I just oil my scalp and bag just to keep my head warm and pores opened.
    I tie the bag around and then put a winter hat on to warm things up. I sleep like this 3-4 nights a week.

1 night for deep conditioner and the other nights is just scalp treatments with essential oils, jojoba, and coconut oil rubbed into my scalp.

I want to try doing this every night instead of just a few nights.
    ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1351156666.385330.jpg
  • KeihsKeihs Posts: 435Registered Users
    If you're just putting conditioner or oil in your hair then wrapping a bag around it, isn't that just like deep conditioning or oil treatments? What's the difference?
    Keihs wrote: »
    If you're just putting conditioner or oil in your hair then wrapping a bag around it, isn't that just like deep conditioning or oil treatments? What's the difference?

That's what i wondered..

IDK but I've been getting 1 inch of growth a month and sometimes more by doing my method. Have your regular deep conditioners given you that much growth?

My longest length is over 24 inches and I just started growing my hair in March 2010 starting from a skin bald head.

The main difference is I retain more heat and moisture whereas the average person loses lots of heat through the head as they sleep for those 8 hours. I take advantage of that heat.

.... But it might just be everything I do is different and not just the way I do my conditioning.
    I've also noticed thicker and plumper texture in my curls on 2nd and 3rd day hair after doing this method.
    I agree, and same here. That's true, baggying is a great method and i see better results compared to when i just deep condition for an hour or whatever. I'm hoping this really helps me retain length.

• KellyBKellyB Posts: 68Registered Users
    I I'm hoping this really helps me retain length.

This is what I need. Lenght!

Texture: Coarse / Porosity: High / Elasticity: Low / Curl pattern: 3b - 3c
    BC and CG since Sept.15.2012
    I like Tresemmé Naturals, Knot-today, Kinky Curly Curling Custard[/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    Moisture is the key to length retention and also you have to focus on creating stronger new growth and that is why I've spent the last 2 years developing my hair growth system lol. I've never really even had a style yet cause all I've worn is protective styles for the past 2 years straight although I have tried in the confines of my bedroom
    PRINCETON wrote: »
    IDK but I've been getting 1 inch of growth a month and sometimes more by doing my method.

The main difference is I retain more heat and moisture whereas the average person loses lots of heat through the head as they sleep for those 8 hours. I take advantage of that heat.

.... But it might just be everything I do is different and not just the way I do my conditioning.

That's alsome I've been wanting to grow my hair out for a long time,I started caring for it 2 years ago then,I went back to constant flat ironning.

This year I cut it down to once a month and my hair is the longest I remember plus my ends finally curl again.

I always have problems retaining length so hopefully bagging will help.I use to leave the conditioner overnight whenever I got it straightened the next day but since I don't get it done I stopped.

~I'm testing a treatment of spice infused oils(chili powder and chennye pepper w/seaseme and olive oil) that I put on my scalp once-twice a week before washing my hair.I try to leave it in for atleast 30 minutes then rinse and shampoo once a week.I'm going to do that for another month but I can't wait til its over caz it burns to get that in ur eyes!
    One protein baggy treatment and one moisturizing one a week. This is what works for me so I'll stick to it then.

I use to do that but somehow it got unbalanced because he hair took a long time to recover from using heat so I changed to once a month for protein.Maybe its because I use too much heat but protein conditioners make my hair straighter and doesn't define my curls.
  • TaReneeTaRenee Posts: 5Registered Users
    I use to do the baggy method when I was relaxed but my hair didn't really soak up the moisture.. looked like a wet poodle....

TWO DAYS AGO I CHOPPED ALL MY RELAXED HAIR OFF :wav: :)

I baggyed last night.. and liked the results. I am going to continue this to help my hair growth out faster !

Right now I am using... JBCO on my scalp... moisturizing with Shea Moisture Milk and sealing with grape seed oil.
  • bleuyteuybleuyteuy Posts: 273Registered Users
    Hi guys so I read through everything I missed lol I've been MIA! And I was wondering if any of you waer wash and gos as a style and if/how youguys get second and third day hair while baggying? Cus I really want to get back into baggying but I'm torn because when I just pineapple and put on a satin cap I get up to 3rd and sometimes 4th day hair.
    bleuyteuy wrote: »
    Hi guys so I read through everything I missed lol I've been MIA! And I was wondering if any of you waer wash and gos as a style and if/how youguys get second and third day hair while baggying? Cus I really want to get back into baggying but I'm torn because when I just pineapple and put on a satin cap I get up to 3rd and sometimes 4th day hair.

I baggy every 2/3 days. So i have to wash that next morning and only get to possibly second day hair. My hair doesn't like to go long between washes though so it's not bad for me.

You definitely have to exfoliate the scalp if you do bagging method especially if you use to products that have cones.

After I take the bag off I like to just put into a ponytail or man bun lolx. I never style my hair. Then wash my face to remove any product that might have gotten on my skin.

I really like to bag only using essential oils concoction of rosemary, grapefruit, patchouli, tea-trea, and jajoba on my scalp only but you have to be careful because it really opens your pores all over your head.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file