CG Confusion

I'm curious about the CG method that has been mentioned a lot on this website, and I've decided to look further into it. I read a great article about it, but I'm still a little confused. If someone could simplify the CG method (like really dumb it down please:).) that would be awesome:). Is there a way to do the method without using a ton of expensive products and complicated processes?

Also, is a co-wash relevant to this CG method, and if so, can you give me a simple, cheap way to do one?

I heard that it really helps with frizz and define curls, EXACTLY what I need, but I heard it also makes your scalp greasy, exactly NOT what I need because my hair gets greasy easily. Is it really worth it, like are the results really good? Do most of the curlies on this website use the CG to get their gorgeous hair? Any tips on reducing the grease without using a ton of products? Oh, and does it make your hair super gross, like really noticeably and permanently, or just for the first few weeks?

Does this method work for everyone, or just some people? And what is this low-poo method?

If it helps, I have 2C wavy-ish hair, 3 inches below my shoulder, and it frizzes like crazy. I'm just now starting to use a leave-in conditioner to help with the frizz. I still need to find out my porosity and texture, I just keep forgetting to:).

Oh, and on an unrelated topic, anyone know how to make my hair clumps thicker and less stringy when I use products? And any tips on "scrunching out the crunch" when I use products?

Sorry for all the crazy questions I have:). I'm just so eager to embrace my curls like so many people here have!

Comments

• Corrina777Corrina777 Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Curl Connoisseur
    Texture and porosity are going to be a huge help for finding the right products, so that's definitely the first place you should start.

The easiest way to summarize CG is that it's about learning to listen to what your hair is trying to tell you. Straight CG method is eliminating sulfates, non-water-soluble silicones and drying alcohols from your hair care routine. Cleansing can be done with either a sulfate-free shampoo (low-poo), a cleansing conditioner (example: Deva No-Poo), or a straight conditioner (co-wash). CG works for some people. Others modify the routine to varying degrees, and still others do not follow it at all. There is no one-size-fits all solution to great hair. On the plus side, even if straight CG doesn't work for you, the process itself will teach you a lot about your hair's likes and dislikes, so it's really a no-lose situation.

There are tons of cheap products available that are CG-friendly. This is where texture and porosity will become important. I can list drugstore products that I love, but if your hair properties are different from mine, there's a good chance you won't necessarily get the same results.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • anonymous_115090anonymous_115090 Registered Users Posts: 25
    Thanks, that really helps! So when I'm looking for a low-poo, cleansing conditioner, or straight conditioner, what "ingredients" should I lean towards?
    Sulfates and cones are really the big no-no's. If your hair is fine and/or porous, you would possibly do well with some protein. Some people have issues with mineral oil and certain polyquats, but that's going to come down to trial and error. I would start with 4 items and then add or subtract as necessary- a light conditioner (I recommend VO5 Kiwi Lime or Suave Daily Clarifying), a heavier conditioner to use as a rinse out (Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture is great for starters), a low-poo to help you through scalp adjustment or product issues (I normally suggest Shea Moisture, but for the sake of covering as many bases as possible I would suggest one with coco betaine like Renpure Organics- Red bottle, Keratin, and Argan Oil formulas are all sulfate and cone free), and a gel (LA Looks Sports Gel, Aussie Instant Freeze or Herbal Essences Set Me Up are great starter gels).

Make sure to do a final clarifying sulfate wash (and make sure the sulfate shampoo is cone free). When you try co-washing, make sure to spend a good few minutes massaging your scalp- aggitation is key to good co-wash results. I would also continue massage/aggitation while rinsing. Use either a microfiber towel or a cotton t-shirt to gently squeeze extra water from your hair- do not rub hair with a terrycloth towel.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • anonymous_115090anonymous_115090 Registered Users Posts: 25
    So would these work? I tried to find the products that you mentioned, but a few of the shampoos seemed different.
    Light Conditioner-10293564http://www.walmart.com/ip/Suave-Daily-Clarifying-Conditioner-22.5-oz/10293564?findingMethod=Recommendation:wm:RecentlyViewedItems

heavier conditioner-15556034http://www.walmart.com/ip/TRESemme-Naturals-Nourishing-Moisture-Conditioner-With-Aloe-Vera-Avocado-25-fl-oz/15556034?findingMethod=Recommendation:wm:RecentlyViewedItems

Low Poo-12239777_is&swCellSpacing=10,10&swHighlightThickness=1&swBorderThickness=0&itemTitle=Shea+Moisture+Raw+Shea+Butter+Moisture+Retention+Shampoo+-+12+oz.http://www.target.com/s?searchTerm=shea+moisture+shampoo&category=9976667|All|matchallpartial|health+%26+beauty

Gel-10805258http://www.walmart.com/ip/L.A.-Looks-Sport-Gel-3-oz/10805258?findingMethod=Recommendation:wm:RecentlyViewedItems

And then any Sulfate shampoo without Cones for the clarifying wash? Any reccomendations? (So you have to use sulfates to get rid of them?)
    I'm just making sure about all of this so I'm not buying the wrong stuff when I go to the store:)

So when I'm doing this whole process with the gel, low poo, heavy conditioner, and light conditioner, that is the CG method, but when I'm using the Sulfate shampoo without cones, that is a co-wash?
    You're only going to use the sulfate shampoo once, so a Suave shampoo would be fine (you could get the Daily Clarifying, just like the conditioner). After that you want to use either the light conditioner (co-wash) or the low-poo to cleanse your scalp.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file