CurlTalk

Do any hair salons still use manual books for appts.?

claudine19claudine19 Posts: 4,486Registered Users
Just curious.

(My salon stood up all their clients today because of a loss of power. Wondering if they had a manual appt. book they could have used with a cell phone to call us in advance.)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dogs and nature abhor a vacuum.
http://geaugadoggy.wordpress.com

Comments

• KurlyKaeKurlyKae Posts: 3,413Registered Users
    Mine does. Actually, my stylist keeps her own book. She texts me a reminder the day before my appointment, and if I need to make a change, I text her. I think her system works just fine.
    3a/2c
    Trader Joe's Tingle conditioner wash/ conditioner
    AG re:coil, LALooks gel, John Frieda Secret Weapon
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users
    I do not think mine does. It's all computerized.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • claudine19claudine19 Posts: 4,486Registered Users
    I'm pretty curious.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TrenellTrenell Posts: 3,562Registered Users
    I use to work the front desk of salon several years ago. It was computerized.
  • MojoDojoMojoDojo Posts: 702Registered Users
    Mine's computerized, but I see plenty with books.

I do know that the manager at least is able to access his with his phone (I'm pretty sure he can, anyway).
    I AM THE NEANDERTHAL SLAYER!!!
  • NejNej Posts: 2,444Registered Users
    My old one (up until 8 months ago) used a book
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-2027-1364839025-19.gif
  • Jess the MessJess the Mess Posts: 5,844Registered Users
    Mine still uses books and it's a full service place with hair, nails, and waxing/facials. I'm surprised since everything else is state-of-the-art.

My fat thumb will make mistakes.
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

• Like.AustraliaLike.Australia Posts: 2,544Registered Users
    The one I've been to recently does it on a computer, but it's also all online, so I imagine that even if power was out in the salon, someone could access it from another location and contact the clients to reschedule.

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
  • SilverCurlsSilverCurls Posts: 294Registered Users
    My previous salon used a book. My new salon does it all on computer.
    Formerly misspam.

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water. - W. C. Fields
    See, here's a situation where I'm probably better off not knowing if they were lazy, yet the thought that they may have left everyone in the lurch without warning really irks me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 11,970Registered Users Curl Novice
    I agree - and for me it goes even further. Whether or not the salon had access to their computer from another location, (which you may never know) I think the customers should be offered some type of compensation, for example, charge only 1/2 for the service the next time you book or offer a free manicure/pedicure. The customers were seriously inconvenienced.

Slightly OT, I was in Bloomingdales yesterday and a light bulb fell out near me. I was never in any danger, but the staff apologized and treated me to the dessert of my choice and coffee. That's customer service!

Please let us know if you are compensated in any way.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
    Here's the update:

The onus was definitely on us to reschedule. When I called, the only acknowledgement made was "It's one of those things." No apology, no regret for our inconvenience.

Not only that, but the stylist/owner I see is due to leave for vacation this weekend. He would not adjust his schedule to accommodate any of us literally left out in the rain yesterday.

When I remarked, somewhat in disbelief, "So we're screwed until he gets back?" the receptionist said, "Well.....I'm sorry to say it, but, yeah. You are."

So......bearing in mind that this guy gives great haircuts (though he's truly a bossy PIA), given what I've described, would you go back? And if I don't go back, do I owe him the courtesy of a cancellation, or should I just not show, and if they call, say, "Hey --- it was one of those things."

(I know the last line is petty. I'm pretty ticked off at the moment.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NalliaNallia Posts: 2,979Registered Users
    I wouldn't go back. My stylist still uses a book for all her appointments, but the couple of times she had to cancel on me she called me on my cell phone and texted me to let me know. And she was deeply apologetic and called me again afterwards to make sure I got rescheduled. And then she did everything she could to accommodate me and fit me in.
    "...just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face." ~Harry Dresden

a33304d72319c25b3ad2d4d075ab3bc0.jpg
    At this point, I would be stunned by and grateful for that kind of service.^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I would take this opportunity to find another stylist, if possible. Then I would cancel the other appointment, because that is the right thing to do. But, they will ask when you want to reschedule, I'm sure, then I'd say I made an appointment elsewhere.
    3a/2c
    Our hair is our hair - so I can totally understand if you don't want to give up your stylist, since you say he's great, but you might want to cancel this time and try someone else - maybe find someone better. But be sure to tell the salon you're cancelling this one time so that if you aren't happy with the new stylist you can return without hesitation.

On the other hand, if you're sufficiently ticked off that you are determined to find another stylist, so you're sure you are not returning to this salon, I'm such a ***** I would be certain to make an appointment and not show - just to screw them in return for their outrageous lack of simple courtesy and treating you as if you don't matter at all. Furthermore, I would post a review of this salon on nc.com and name them. This lack of customer service is completely unacceptable.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    I've been reading about a lot of other salons in the area. What I'm learning is that customer service in these places really needs to improve. Also, there's a very wide variety of prices, and you don't necessarily get what you pay for.

And it's not just here: I can't remember which member in D.C. just had a terrible experience at Fiddleheads, where she described the owner having to force her stylist to fix the mess she made on the member's hair.

I will be actively seeking a new stylist........but until I run into someone with a great wavy haircut, I feel stuck. It's very frustrating.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    curlypearl wrote: »
    Our hair is our hair - so I can totally understand if you don't want to give up your stylist, since you say he's great, but you might want to cancel this time and try someone else - maybe find someone better. But be sure to tell the salon you're cancelling this one time so that if you aren't happy with the new stylist you can return without hesitation.

On the other hand, if you're sufficiently ticked off that you are determined to find another stylist, so you're sure you are not returning to this salon, I'm such a ***** I would be certain to make an appointment and not show - just to screw them in return for their outrageous lack of simple courtesy and treating you as if you don't matter at all. Furthermore, I would post a review of this salon on nc.com and name them. This lack of customer service is completely unacceptable.

Oh, cp! I'm so pleased to hear you sound like this!:thumright:Good for you for having high standards.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users
    claudine19 wrote: »

Oh, cp! I'm so pleased to hear you sound like this!:thumright:Good for you for having high standards.

Just make sure they do not charge you for cancelling!!! Or cancel within their time standards.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users
    The lady who does my hair keeps her own book, and her personal cell doubles as a work phone. They do have a computer in the salon but mostly use it for detailed information about the clients hair.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    After the reviews I read about this place, I have the feeling they wouldn't have troubled themselves even if they could have reached us.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You know, I don't think I'm going to be able to stand going back to this place.

I really don't understand them. The owner gives great haircuts --- truly --- but he runs his business so poorly, it defeats his success. Having my own (albeit small) business, I bend over backwards for my clients, in order to earn loyalty, satisfaction, and referrals. If someone needs a rush job at 11 p.m. on a weekend, I do it (and if they've paid me rather lavishly in the past, I don't charge extra, either). If I was leaving for a vacation and had let people down, I would do something about it.

It's frustrating. I want to take advantage of this guy's excellence, but he and his staff are so......indifferent, if not rude, I just can't do it. I'm very disappointed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ^ Go with your gut. I should have listened to myself, many times, and walked away from my old salon.

The guy who used to do my hair changed cell phone numbers and salons, often, without telling his clients. He had no real interest in the job or his clients. He eventually butchered my hair :(
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'll be calling a new salon I've researched bright and early Tuesday morning (when they open). :)

Thanks for the back up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You are welcome!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • crimsonshedemoncrimsonshedemon Posts: 2,098Registered Users
    My stylist is the shop owner and she keeps a manual book. Salon is small 2-4 stylists and it's all pencil and paper.
    I cancelled. I'm too reliable to have stood him up in revenge. I'll just disappear, he'll lose another client and gain more bad word of mouth, and he probably won't notice or care. So it goes with poor customer service.

Anyhoo......I have an appointment tomorrow with a new guy who got very good reviews from several sources, aaaaaannnndddddd, when I looked him up on-line, I found a half-off coupon for my first appointment, too.

We shall see how all works out, but I do feel relieved at resolving the dilemma with
    Salon "Who Cares About You?"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Best of luck C19!!!! Let us know how it works out. I hope you get a killer haircut.:love5:
    I'm nervous, cp. Naturally, my hair has looked good the past two days, after being horrid for about a week.

But, thank you!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Best of luck C19!!!! Let us know how it works out. I hope you get a killer haircut.:love5:

+1

Is it wrong that I also think that once you get that killed haircut you should 'accidentally run into' you old stylist? ;). (Okay, I would never actually suggest it or do it myself but...)
    3a/2c