CurlTalk

How much do you hate your period?

spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
The poll function isn't working for me so...

1) I actually like it.

2) Totally neutral about it -- neither like nor dislike.

3) It's a mild annoyance, but not a big deal.

4) I dislike it.

5) It is the bane of my existance. I dread its arrival for weeks and I am miserable during the entire time it's here, forced to change my lifestyle, dress differently and miss out on activities I enjoy, anxiously counting the days and minutes until it is gone. The only thing that dampens the celebration that accompanies its departure is the unfortunate knowledge that it will soon return.

Comments

• SariaSaria Posts: 15,963Registered Users
    I just hate that I don't get to have those mythical 3-5 day periods that are apparently the norm for most women. Oh no, I have to wait eight friggin' days. Plus the first day pain is torture.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • claudine19claudine19 Posts: 4,486Registered Users

The food cravings are kind of fun, and give me an excuse to indulge myself sometimes. (In fairness, this is with the pill in effect on my system; without it, I was ill during my periods.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dogs and nature abhor a vacuum.
    http://geaugadoggy.wordpress.com
  • DedachanDedachan Posts: 1,644Registered Users
    Somewhere between 4 and 5. I don't give it much tought the rest of the month, but those first two to three days more than make up for that.

Bloody periods. :angryfire:
  • kinkyliebekinkyliebe Posts: 37Registered Users
    Same here, between 4 and 5. I don't get cramps, no sore boobies, no PMS. I just hate that I have to go through it every month. I use to take birth control pills that made me see less of it. 4 times a year. And that ***** sucks. Yeah, I won't see it Jan and Feb but boy does March make up for it. Talk about gross. :mad:

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S2... SGS3 is coming out this year and I'm up for an upgrade next year. *weeps techy tears*
    Facebook.com/kinkycurlyliebe

Instagram: kinkycurlyliebe

BC: May 14th 2011
  • goldygoldy Posts: 5,455Registered Users
    2 or 3.

My annoyance with it is having to remember to have a tampon on hand.
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users
    I have not had one since I stopped taking the BC pill in January! Yay!!

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk. Siri may be typing for me.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • SigiSigi Posts: 2,379Registered Users
    Thanks to the Mirena, I do not have one anymore. :toothy7:
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users
    1-2 as someone that hasn't had a baby yet a regular, no problems period sort of gives me hope that everything is still working right. i also feel a cleansing occurs with each cycle. i try to listen to my body and rest more if i need to but my periods are a blessing because they are uneventful and hopefully they are signaling all is well in my body.
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,249Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Can I vote 6? hate hate hate
    I have never had a use for them since I knew by the time I was 10 that I never wanted to have kids. So for the last 40 years I've had to put up with them for no reason. And now I'm 55 and should be having fewer or no periods. But no. Now I have them every 2 weeks, heavy for 5-7 days. WTF.
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
  • Lucky CharmLucky Charm Posts: 1,250Registered Users
    Sigi wrote: »
    Thanks to the Mirena, I do not have one anymore. :toothy7:
    Same here! I went from excessively heavy periods to nothing - and its GREAT!!
    - 2C - Coarse Canopy & med/fine underlayers
    - MOP C Hydrating 'poo
    - LOreal Natures Therapy Moisturizing condish, ION Effective Care, Garnier S&S (old formula)
    - treatments: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Repair Me!
    - plopping, diffusing, and clipping the roots
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have never had a use for them since I knew by the time I was 10 that I never wanted to have kids. So for the last 40 years I've had to put up with them for no reason. And now I'm 55 and should be having fewer or no periods. But no. Now I have them every 2 weeks, heavy for 5-7 days. WTF.

Aghhhhhhhh, that sucks! LOL

• MissKrisMissKris Posts: 288Registered Users
    Anyone ever have those curiously bad cramps.....you take a pain pill and it works, the pain is gone but you can still feel everything tearing away from the uterine wall. That feeling was sooooo weird!

Sent from my SPH-M910 using CurlTalk App
  • ttlollattlolla Posts: 948Registered Users
    I have periods that last 3 days , I get those excruciating cramps like once a year , I don't get soreness but I will still go with No 4 .
    Those mood swings are just too much on me, not to talk of others around me .
  • Like.AustraliaLike.Australia Posts: 2,544Registered Users

Do you mean you get a period every other week? Or you get a two week break and then a week of period? (Just curious...you don't have to answer if you don't feel comfortable.) I'm only asking because a 21-day cycle can be "normal," but a 14-day one is very short and would drive me crazy!

Anyway, I'd say 2-3 for myself. When I was on the pill, it was really not a big deal at all. Then, when I went off it, the biggest annoyance was figuring out when it'd come because I was so used to the 28-day perfect pill cycle. Haven't had a period in several months thanks to pregnancy though. :wav: When I was a teenager, I had really bad cramps and my period was much heavier than it was last year post-pill. Back then, I would've said 4-5.
    ^ It varies but can go like this - bleed 7 days, off 7 days, bleed 5 days, off 14 days, bleed 7 days, off 25 days, bleed 5 days, off 10 days. etc. It all adds up to too many days with a damn period. But it's dangerous for women my age to use things like low dose birth control, etc to control periods. Especially since I take so many migraine meds (vaso constrictors).
    I've been begging my doctors to yank out my uterus for years, but they ignore me. : )
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
    ^ It varies but can go like this - bleed 7 days, off 7 days, bleed 5 days, off 14 days, bleed 7 days, off 25 days, bleed 5 days, off 10 days. etc. It all adds up to too many days with a damn period. But it's dangerous for women my age to use things like low dose birth control, etc to control periods. Especially since I take so many migraine meds (vaso constrictors).
    I've been begging my doctors to yank out my uterus for years, but they ignore me. : )

Eesh. I'm sorry. That sounds miserable.
  • divegirldivegirl Posts: 1,286Registered Users

I hate my period but I don't think about it or dread it in between times. My flow has gotten heavier over the years but shorter duration. I'll have 1-2 days of really heavy flow - like, going through an Ultra-Plus tampon every hour. Then another 1-2 days of medium flow (when I can use the Diva Cup) and then it's over. Horrible cramps the first day too.
    Hope I don't sound like I'm having a pity party. I just hate my period. : )
  • cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users
    Jeep - you don't. I was being genuine. That'd make me crazy. And I'd own only black underwear.
  • SaraNoHSaraNoH Posts: 827Registered Users
    eh, a 3 I guess.
    Mine usually last about 4-5 days, no cramps, maybe some bloating if I eat any salt, I do get cranky sometimes... After not having it for a year and a half due to malnourishment it's a bit relieving to know I'm finally back on track.

Oh, and you wanna talk hating your period? The very first one I ever had was a month long. I thought I was going to die! xD
    CG Birthday: 7/25/11
    Type 3a/2c
    Dense, Fine in front Coarse in back, Low porosity
    Low-Poo: SM Moisture Retention Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Tresemme Naturals
    Leave In: ^^^^
    Stylers: AIF, Natural Silks Curly Gel
    *Desert Curly*
    Jeep - you don't. I was being genuine. That'd make me crazy. And I'd own only black underwear.

I mostly wear red or black. : )
  • theliothelio Posts: 5,374Registered Users
    cympreni wrote: »
    It's just an annoyance. For PMS I get a mild backache, fatigue and uh, a minor digestive issue. My period only lasts 3 days.

The fatigue is sometimes bad enough to interfere. I know if I take vitamins it can help, but I'm really bad remembering that kind of stuff.

On a funny note, I once had a nurse argue with me about my periods. She said I was lying because the average period lasts 5-7 days. I defined the word average for her, she didn't appreciate it. that woman was weird. She was just taking my medical history and she kept arguing with me about it. It was odd.

I had to deal with a nurse who tried to argur with me. I went to the hospital because of a respiratory infection and pink eye. my period was late. She kept argueing with me. "Why arent you worried? Dont that make you nervous? Are you sure you are not pragnant?"

I explained to her that my body knows when to cut me some slack. When i'll super sick I dont come on my period, which is why I was at the hospital. When I dont come on my period, I know my illness is serious and it has nothing to do with me being pregnant. She just couldnt get it. She had never heard of women period changing due to illness. to her if you'er late, you must be pregnant! She seriously seemed angry with me. WTF lady??!!?

I hate my period! sometimes a 4 other times a 5. sometimes i have to leave work early. You know the scene from the shining when the elevator doors open? thats how i feel my first 2 days! its a 5 when I have cramps on top of already having fatigue, bloating, and i'm beginning to get horrible pms! I actullay hope my first two days to be on the weekend so i can lock myself in the house and not see people.
  • irociroc Posts: 7,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Somewhere between 4 and 5.

My period itself isn't so bad. Day 1 I bleed through everything and just stay home so I can be on tampon watch every hour. But after that it isnt so bad. And now that I've gotten older my cramps arent as excruciating. I have uterine pain the first day or two.

But boy am I moody. And for like weeks. Ovulation kills me. I'm lethargic and crampy, and bloated and I feel sick, and im cold. I'm so miserable emotionally and mentally I want to crawl in a cave.

I start getting constipated about 4 days before my period until I get my period. The day of my period I am murderous. Sometimes around day 3 or 4 I become emotional again.

Im usually good for about one week a month.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using CurlTalk App
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PoodleheadPoodlehead Posts: 6,959Registered Users
    4-ish. Since I went off the pill and am now 46, I feel like I'm a teenager again. I never know when it's going to come, which end of it is going to be the heaviest, how long it is going to stay, and what sort of side effects it will bring. Lately it has been 2 weeks with a period, a week and a half without. Sucks.
    Minneapolis, MN
  • legendslegends Posts: 3,073Registered Users
    2, almost 1 just because it means I'm not in menopause. I've never been bothered by getting older, but something about menopause scares the hell out of me even though I'm pretty sure I don't want kids and it's still so far off.

3-5 days, so light I can wear a cup for 12 hours before having to empty it the first day, only get cramps a few times a year, extreme moodiness maybe twice a year (I once started sobbing when I realized I was out of light bulbs). I'll occasionally have some GI issues and for the past couple of years my breasts get extremely sore around ovulation. That's the worst of it.
    Eres o te haces?
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    But what about sex, people!? SEX!!!???

The dark towels. The ruined sheets. The excuses. The rejection. The longing. The urges. The hastily-planned dates where no one is really in the mood but you have to just do it one last time before it's too late. What about that!!?

• SariaSaria Posts: 15,963Registered Users
    ^What's that?
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • PoodleheadPoodlehead Posts: 6,959Registered Users
    I have three kids who stay up later than I do, in a tiny house. Sex? My poor husband.
    Minneapolis, MN
  • kinkyliebekinkyliebe Posts: 37Registered Users
    Poodlehead wrote: »
    I have three kids who stay up later than I do, in a tiny house. Sex? My poor husband.

I literally laughed out loud at that because it's five of us (three kiddies) in a tiny place. The babies sleep late. my oldest wants to sleep late on the weekends. Every thing in between hubster is too tired from working 14 hours a day. :'(
    Facebook.com/kinkycurlyliebe

Instagram: kinkycurlyliebe

BC: May 14th 2011