Question

CerendipityCerendipity Registered Users Posts: 5,091 Curl Novice
If you are making your products in your home , do you have to employ a chemist if you want to add a chemical such as minoxidil?

Comments

• juanabjuanab Registered Users Posts: 4,037 Curl Neophyte
    I have been curious about that for quite some time.

texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal
    co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
    LI - KCKT mixed w/ SM C & H Curl & Style Milk
    DC - NG Mango & Coconut H2O or Chamomile/Brdck Root
    Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)
    Sealers - Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocado butter, Aloe butter
    Ayurvedic treatments - Jamila Henna, Sukesh, Aloe Vera Powder, Hibiscus Powder

event.png
  • cocodejcocodej Registered Users Posts: 1,182
    I think that although it is available over the counter, its intended use dictates regulation. Maybe if you contact a supplier they can tell you what restrictions they are under as a distributor. I know when I was looking for a specific preservative, the supplier said they only distribute to incorporated businesses. They also made it a point to stress their in-house formulation testing services. I guess it is the liability they are worried about.
    James Baldwin
    A Talk To Teachers
    [...]
    one of the paradoxes of education [is] that precisely at the point when you begin to develop a conscience, you must find yourself at war with your society. It is your responsibility to change society
    [...]
  • CerendipityCerendipity Registered Users Posts: 5,091 Curl Novice
    So cocod, whats your final answer?
    So cocod, whats your final answer?

I think you need a chemist or at least a formulation review, if a supplier will even sell you the raw product. I just finished looking through the MSDS sheet and there are warnings about disposal rules determined by the FDA. I also think I found something about a limit on percentages for topical application.
    James Baldwin
    A Talk To Teachers
    [...]
    one of the paradoxes of education [is] that precisely at the point when you begin to develop a conscience, you must find yourself at war with your society. It is your responsibility to change society
    [...]
  • CerendipityCerendipity Registered Users Posts: 5,091 Curl Novice
    Was it 2% by any chance?
    Was it 2% by any chance?

I saw something about %5, but the FDA recalled a bunch of products by a company that used anywhere from %3-15, link.

Also, here is the Pfizer MSDS for minoxidil tablets used as a hypertensive treatment. I know this is an oral MSDS sheet, but there are side effects from absorption via the skin as well.
    James Baldwin
    A Talk To Teachers
    [...]
    [...]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file