CurlTalk

Moth Mystery

xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users
Ok. Casey decides at 3:30 am he must go poop. So out we go. On my way back in I notice this huge moth by the door but on the garage wall. When I take Casey out at 6 am this is what I see. What the heck happened? Do moths just fall apart or did something eat him??

4a680211-6a68-b098.jpg

I had to do the ruler so you all would know why I used the word huge!!

The spots on the wings look like eyes. What is it? What happened by my garage in the early morning hours??

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk. Siri may be typing for me.
Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~

Comments

• SilverCurlsSilverCurls Posts: 294Registered Users
    It's likely a bird had him for breakfast. Sad for the moth, good for the bird.

Circle of life, hakuna matata.....

I have a book on moths and butterflies. I'll try and see if I can help you identify it.
    Formerly misspam.

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water. - W. C. Fields
    I think that was a Luna moth.

lunamoth3m1.jpg

The website says they fly only at night in the Spring and Summer. It also says that they only live for a week. They don't even eat. Their only purpose is to mate.
    Formerly misspam.

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water. - W. C. Fields
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users
    I think that was a Luna moth.

lunamoth3m1.jpg

The website says they fly only at night in the Spring and Summer. It also says that they only live for a week. They don't even eat. Their only purpose is to mate.

That is it!! Do you think he just evaporated from too much mating?? LOL

Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
    I think that's a very distinct possibility! :happy2:
    Formerly misspam.

• claudine19claudine19 Posts: 4,486Registered Users
    Would human lives be easier if we too evaporated after too much mating?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dogs and nature abhor a vacuum.
    http://geaugadoggy.wordpress.com
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users
    Yeah, that's a Luna. I wish you could have seen it alive. Luna sightings are special. They have a very short life cycle. I spent over 30 years wishing I would see one, and now I see them every year.

Here's some pic's of Luna's I took outside of my house.

aee402af-7ea7-a0b7.jpg

What do you do when you only have a week, maybe 2, to live?? lol

aee402af-7f1a-dca0.jpg

^ the one with larger/fluffier antennas is the male.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    And I see you already established the life span and mating. :) This is what happens when my curl talk app runs a little slow.

I know I've wanted to evaporate after a mating experience or 2. ha!
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Fifi.G wrote: »
    Yeah, that's a Luna. I wish you could have seen it alive. Luna sightings are special. They have a very short life cycle. I spent over 30 years wishing I would see one, and now I see them every year.

Here's some pic's of Luna's I took outside of my house.

aee402af-7ea7-a0b7.jpg

What do you do when you only have a week, maybe 2, to live?? lol

aee402af-7f1a-dca0.jpg

^ the one with larger/fluffier antennas is the male.

I sort of saw him alive. At 3:30am. :). Kinda freaked me out because it was so big!!

Central Massachusetts

They are huge! When I saw my first one, 4 years ago, I was in heaven. I had looked for them, for so long. The one year I didn't bother looking, they found me. I walked outside and felt something land on my shoulder. I looked down, and there she was. I have pictures of her crawling all over me. They are fond of curls ;)

The house I now live in seems to be Luna central station.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    They're so beautiful.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 11,970Registered Users Curl Novice
    I would freak out if one landed in my curls. Flying insects scare me. Even beautiful ones.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
    Aw, curlypearl.

You're a city girl, born and bred.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 11,970Registered Users Curl Novice
    This is true. :lol:

OT: However, the best times of my life were spent in Lake Peekskill each summer in a cottage surrounded by hills/trees/lake. Very rural. Even with all the insects I'm sure it is really Heaven - literally. St. Peter lets you in the gate and there you are in Lake Peekskill.

My brother told me they have built it up. You couldn't pay me to see that.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    I've always wanted to see a Luna moth in the wild...never have been so lucky.
  • BlackAngelPlayahBlackAngelPlayah Posts: 1,419Registered Users
    claudine19 wrote: »
    Would human lives be easier if we too evaporated after too much mating?

Yes it would. Just.... .*.*.POOF!!.*.*.

:D

😜🍸Sent LIVE from my JPhone 4 using some CurlTalk app. 😜🍸

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2FAfroCurls.wordpress.com" class="Popup
    :afro:FroZen:afro:
    curlypearl wrote: »
    I would freak out if one landed in my curls. Flying insects scare me. Even beautiful ones.

That's okay. I know several people raised in the woods who feel the exact same way. lol.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I've always wanted to see a Luna moth in the wild...never have been so lucky.

I hope you get to see one. They are so beautiful in action.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Me too ---- I want to see one, too!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'll try to send a couple your way.

Luna's for everyone!!! lol

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Hurray!

(I'll take turtles and bunnies, too.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    We have lots of moths around here. From looking at the picture of the male I am pretty sure I saw one in my hanging baskets. They are under the garage lights and whenever in water the flowers moths come out.

Central Massachusetts

• fraufrau Posts: 6,130Registered Users
    i saw one of those huge things one night on a window and thought it was some type of bird (don't judge me i'm from the city).
    great thread!
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users
    Luna moths are my absolute most favorite moth ever. They are just stunningly beautiful.

I've seen one in person just once, in my neighborhood in Annapolis several years ago.
  • LAwomanLAwoman Posts: 2,949Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Uh oh do you live near West Virginia? It could be a sign from the Mothman!

Mothman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I wish I had been awake enough to take her picture before she exploded from too much sex.

Central Massachusetts

Something about this is making me think i may have posted this same thing last year. I think it was RCW's comment that gave me déjà vu.

Central Massachusetts

If you did, I don't remember.

Mothman: you're welcome here!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'm sure you'll have a chance to snap a pic of another one soon, xcptnl.

Before sexplosion that is. :D

Note: the 2nd pic I posted, mmhmm, they kept that up all night and all day. Every time I passed by the window I said, "My gawd!! They're still at it." Lol. I have been waiting for new ones to emerge.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It just occurred to me because of the early morning hour, maybe a bat got him instead of a bird. A praying mantis, perhaps?

I still like the 'sexplosion' idea, though! :mrgreen:
    Formerly misspam.

It just occurred to me because of the early morning hour, maybe a bat got him instead of a bird. A praying mantis, perhaps?

I still like the 'sexplosion' idea, though! :mrgreen:

Ok now you are scaring me that there could be a praying mantis around big enough to eat that moth.

I am sticking with sexplosion!!

Central Massachusetts