dog help - with another update

luvmylocsluvmylocs Registered Users Posts: 7,578 Curl Neophyte
i'll try to keep this brief but i need to provide a little background. i've got two cairn terriers, myles (black - 6 yrs) and trucker (wheat - 8 yrs). i got both when they were about 10-12 weeks old. they are brothers from different mothers. sort of different personalities but buddies for sure.

about 3 yrs ago when i would take myles to the vet or the groomer he would growl at trucker when it was time to go home in the car and when we'd get back home. it was an "unsafe" situation because he seemed like he was going to attack trucker and trucker was obviously terrified. the vet actually suggested i take myles to a dog therapist which i didn't do. anyway, i kind of did some research and started carrying a kennel with me to the vet and the groomer and myles would have to ride in that on that way home and when we got home i'd let him out in the back yard along with trucker and just act completely normal and myles seemed to acclimate to us quickly, no growling and like nothing happened. my guess is he doesn't like being poked or prodded and he gets grumpy and the kennel provides him some security, a safe haven if you will and then he just gets over it easier.

fast forward to monday night. i'm in the house, they're in the back yard doing doggie business and i hear a commotion. i go outside to find trucker close to myles (he likes to play non-stop) and myles growling in the mean not playing way at trucker. i yell at them to cut it out and come inside. once inside myles continues to growl and stare at trucker in a mean way. i put myles in the crate (a big one i keep in the house for when i'm away and myles need to stay in it since he marks my floors). myles is in the crate laying down fine and when trucker walks over with a toy like to play, myles starts growling through the crate. i usually let them sleep in my bedroom on their doggie bed at night but since myles can't stand the sight of trucker i give them a night time treat and keep myles in the crate and trucker on the doggie bed but not in my bedroom. i figure maybe by the next morning he'll be over it, not so. i have to separate them so they can go outside to do doggie business separately. it's obvious trucker is confused (i am too) because he keeps going to the crate to play with myles.

i started wondering if something was going on with myles, like is he hurt or not feeling well and the reason he's growling at trucker is because he doesn't want to be bothered or play and wrestle like they do alot. he's walking slow, looking around and acting suspicious but when i had trucker outside and him inside i sort of played with him and gave him treats and he was acting a little more normal but still not his normal cuddly, loving self. the only other thing i can think of and it's a long shot is that i have a huge hula hoop. i hadn't used it for a long time but when i pulled it out and left it in my living room myles was terrified! he would go through the kitchen to avoid the sight of it. i put it back in my office last night in case that's the reason he's in attack mode but i just don't know. he has a lot of "fears", my vitamix, the fan in my bathroom, etc. but this is just out of character even for him.

i suppose if he's still being grumpy and growling i'll take him to the vet saturday morning but i just thought i'd share what's going on to see if any of y'all had any idea what might be going on.
a dreamy pisces :fish:
please recycle, it matters...
i change lives...through fitness
i'm more relaxed being natural

Comments

• claudine19claudine19 Registered Users Posts: 4,486
    A sudden issue is worth talking to the vet about. I'm wondering if there was some different scent on Trucker that Myles detected? Not sure of the sudden rage.

Some dogs develop dominance issues. One of mine has this problem: she is fed separately from the others and sometimes sleeps alone in the kitchen (after an episode) as a result. Rather than a canine therapist, a good trainer may be able to assist you.

HTH, and keep us posted.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dogs and nature abhor a vacuum.
    http://geaugadoggy.wordpress.com
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Registered Users Posts: 7,578 Curl Neophyte
    claudine19 wrote: »
    A sudden issue is worth talking to the vet about. I'm wondering if there was some different scent on Trucker that Myles detected? Not sure of the sudden rage.

Some dogs develop dominance issues. One of mine has this problem: she is fed separately from the others and sometimes sleeps alone in the kitchen (after an episode) as a result. Rather than a canine therapist, a good trainer may be able to assist you.

HTH, and keep us posted.

thank you! i sort of thought it was something sudden too. my bf joke that maybe trucker "hurt" myles (unintentionally of course) but they play too much and plus trucker is like 14 lbs and myles is like 22 lbs so i don't really see that. they both have only been in my back yard and the house for the last several days. i take them on neighborhood walks occassionally but they were fine since our last walk a little over a week ago.
  • theliothelio Registered Users Posts: 5,374
    I dont know much about this breed of doggie, but as claudine mentioned, a trainer may be helpful.

little doggies tend to get "small dog sydrome". if they do they can become aggressive to other pets or even their humans.

Cairn terriers are easy to train i hear, so a good trainer should be able to correct this behavior.
    i took you ladies advice and called my vet for a trainer referral. they pointed me to city canine and their website looks good. i called and am waiting for a call back. yippee. :wav:

i hope i can get my boy back to normal soon!! maybe even break some other bad habits like the marking my floors when i'm not home. i'm still not sure if i should take him to the vet to see if there's something else wrong with him. again he seems and looks fine physically, still eating, pooping, peeing. i guess i'll tell the trainer and see if he recommends a vet visit too. obviously i don't want to spend the money for them to say "he's fine". i took him in july 2011 and i pretty much take them annually instead of twice a year to the vet. anyway, he'd be due for a visit in july anyway.
    Talk to the trainer first. If everything seems fine with Myles physically, all you're doing is waiting a month, anyway. That doesn't seem risky if all is well with his functioning otherwise.

How old is Myles, btw? My girl became more dominant around three/four years old. I'm curious if it's something they grow into, or if something sparks it....i.e., those mysterious "pack dynamics."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xcptnlxcptnl Registered Users Posts: 15,678 Curl Connoisseur
    I know Casey's personality gets weird after a groom. But I have noticed he has become increasingly weird as he ages. Lots of OCD type behaviors. Wants thinks to be the same at all times. Is he the older dog of the two? Maybe he is just annoyed.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • curlisue1curlisue1 Registered Users Posts: 494 Curl Novice
    I have bichons and was having trouble with one of the boys marking and being grumpy with the other dogs. Went on off and on for a few years. Vet didn't see anything wrong with my dog. Then one day I see him hunch over and pee on the floor. I take him into the vet and turns out he has a bladder stone. Once removed marking is gone and no more grumpy.

It's too bad they can't talk and tell us what's wrong!
    I'm afraid mine would never stop talking!

curlisue, did the same vet miss the bladder stone the first time around?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • curlisue1curlisue1 Registered Users Posts: 494 Curl Novice
    Yes. They missed it for years. They just said that the marking was behavioral problems. Up until the day that he hunched over there was no indication of any pain that the dog may be having. I'm sure it was causing him discomfort hence the marking cause he couldn't hold it. But dogs seem to have a higher pain threshold than us humans. Had to do an X-ray to find the stone.
    Vets drive me kind of crazy. They tell us we need so many different treatments for our pets, then they misdiagnose.

I'm probably burnt out on all the time I spend in vet waiting rooms, though. Pay me no mind.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    myles is the younger (but bigger) of the two. i got home today. still more grumpiness. i watched him pee today, hiked his leg up, no issues. he's acting like he thinks someone is going to attack him actually. myles is 6 and trucker just turned 8.

this is a pic of the first day i brought myles home. trucker always loved him. trucker is sort of moping around now that his buddy is being sequestered.
    They're so cute!

I hope everything works out. The Cairn terrier I used to know was a great dog. (She probably still is, but I moved away.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    this is my fav pic of them. hopefully they'll be like two old men watching sports again soon!
    I like how their coats shine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Vets drive me kind of crazy. They tell us we need so many different treatments for our pets, then they misdiagnose.

I'm probably burnt out on all the time I spend in vet waiting rooms, though. Pay me no mind.

I have been searching for a vet that also does holistic medicine but have not found one yet. I think my current vet gave up on the idea of trying to talk me into the eat surgery on Casey

And this am at 3am he started howling. He had to go out and he had a bowel movement. He does this occasionally. But then he originally did not finish his food this morning. When I noticed he got back up and finished it. I do wish they could let you know what's up.

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk. Siri may be typing for me.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
    luvmylocs wrote: »
    this is my fav pic of them. hopefully they'll be like two old men watching sports again soon!

They are so cute. I hope you find out what is going on.

Central Massachusetts

x, did you mean "heart" surgery?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    x, did you mean "heart" surgery?

OMG. I actually meant ear.

Central Massachusetts

well after 3 nights of myles having to sleep alone and be in the crate while trucker and i went about our evening myles was finally ready to stop being a meanie. this morning his disposition was completely back to normal like nothing happened. he played with trucker and both boys were happy. i poured food this morning, they eat at irregular times, and the only time myles growled was when trucker was walking towards his bowl. this happens from time to time but i just said MYLES and he snapped out of it. i supervised their eating in case myles tried to take over but he didn't. so for now we're okay but i'm still going to see about taking him to a trainer in case this happens again.
    the trainer just called me. he said myles sounds like an insecure dog who lashes out when he feels insecure. he recommended old fashioned obedience training and suggested one on one since he wouldn't likely do well in small group with other dogs.

he told me not to baby myles when he acts bad but to be stern with him and give him time out when he acts up, not unlike a spoiled kid. he said dogs are different when we raise them in homes almost like kids so we have to modify how we treat and train them. it was interesting. i'm going to complete the registration form and work with this guy. he has weekend times where i can take myles to get him training. who knows, maybe the dog park will be an option after he gets his obedience training.
    Just be careful and make sure he (the trainer) doesn't recommend anything extreme, like severe punishments.

Please keep us updated. Now I want to know all about the saga of Myles.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Just be careful and make sure he (the trainer) doesn't recommend anything extreme, like severe punishments.

Please keep us updated. Now I want to know all about the saga of Myles.

:) i know, my baby myles, lol...

the trainer didn't sound like an extremist at all. i could totally see the insecure thing. when i took trucker and myles to the dog park (small dog side), trucker was running around having a ball. myles was following trucker and didn't want anything to do with any other dogs. after trucker was leaving him and making new friends myles just went to the gate and tried to escape. it was obvious he didn't want to be there.

myles is so sweet, i just want him to be happy and well adjusted and not scared. i think about this in case someone else has to ever take care of my boys when i travel or hopefully when there's a hubby and a baby in the house. myles loves my boyfriend but he was snippy with him too the other night.
    Hmmm..........he does sound fearful. Poor little guy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • crimsonshedemoncrimsonshedemon Registered Users Posts: 2,098
    I completely agree with the trainer. I'd make sure he gets a lot of structured exercise (walk besides you Not ahead). Work with each dog separately before together. Really work on those fears. That definitely contributes to bevavior issues. Don't reinforce his scared fearful behavior: good luck with your boys!
  • LAwomanLAwoman Registered Users Posts: 2,949 Curl Neophyte
    I have no great advice, but I'm glad you are getting some answers, and that your little guy was acting more like himself today!

Having raised a terrier from puppyhood (an Aussie) I know they can be VERY challenging and willful at times. But they are also such a fun, energetic, and entertaining breed, too (not to mention, adorable!)

Good luck, and I hope things continue to improve with the help of your trainer.
    well, things are bad again. last night there was more growling and then when i tried to put him in the crate for growling at trucker he got REAL snappy with me and i in turn lost my cool, grabbed him and i know he was scared. i felt bad, he was wimpering/crying as trucker and i went into the bedroom to sleep. urgh. this all sucks!

so then i start thinking something might be wrong with him physically again. i call the vet and they point me to this therapist the same one they mentioned before. i was reading the success stories and there's one of two male dogs where one started being aggressive toward the other. it sounds like my boys. so, now i may call her. the only thing i don't like is that medication is mentioned in some of the stories. i would really like to avoid medicating myles to make him act a certain way but unless i'm going to give him up i've got to do something. trucker is now avoiding myles like the plague because even in his crate myles gives him the stare down and growls....sometimes.

BUMMER: i called her and she's $185 an hour and the first visit is 2 - 2.5 hours at about $300 - 400 according to the person that answered the phone. she doesn't have an open saturday until june 23rd. i can't afford that much for just one appt and i also can't wait that long to get some relief. urgh, so bummed about this!!
    Get thee to the trainer, asap.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • theliothelio Registered Users Posts: 5,374
    I'm so sorry your boy is behaving like this, but please dont let them medicate him!! Not to go off topic, but they are just started on research that shows the detrimental affects that behavioral drugs, such as ritilin, have on kids. I'm not sure what research has been done for animals but I bet very little if any. A dog should not be on prozec! but of course this is just my opinion.
    thelio wrote: »
    I'm so sorry your boy is behaving like this, but please dont let them medicate him!! Not to go off topic, but they are just started on research that shows the detrimental affects that behavioral drugs, such as ritilin, have on kids. I'm not sure what research has been done for animals but I bet very little if any. A dog should not be on prozec! but of course this is just my opinion.

i agree. i'm going to hope that the trainer can see me soon! thanks girls for your support. this feels awful and is stressful. i like having a peaceful home and this is making home life very tense!
    the vet called me back. she suggested i bring him in tomorrow. she thinks something could be wrong physically too. she even suggested blindness which got me thinking because his eyes have been milky and crusty for awhile. i just clean them with eye drops i bought from petsmart but perhaps that's not enough. she said if he's loosing his sight that would explain why he's spooked or he could be in some kind of pain. my poor boy. i know he doesn't want to be a meanie.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file