Lots and lots of questions.

greencup13greencup13 Registered Users Posts: 596
I posted this in the general discussion and other curlies have suggested that I might be protein sensitive. I have a lot of questions.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/145217-dry-ends.html

So I might be protein sensitive...now what. So I cut out all protein? But what IS protein? How do I know what is protein in my products? How long do I try this?
3A 3B mix
Colored treated
Combo Low and High porosity
Medium coarse texture

Goosefootprints hair analysis
Co-wash- As I Am Co-wash
RO-GVPCB[/COLOR
LI- As I Am leave in,
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Style- la looks sport gel

Comments

• Goin'GreyGoin'Grey Registered Users Posts: 301 Curl Neophyte
    Greencup,
    You can look at my signature all the products listed are protein free. Otherwise you can research a list of protein ingredients found in hair products and read through everything you use, (I don't have this list handy or I would forward to you.)

So, you have to cut out all protein for a few weeks, maybe a month and see if your hair improves. If it improves, you are probably protein sensitive. After you see significant improvement you can experiment by adding back tiny amounts of protein.
    3A, Protein Senitive, Low Porosity,
    Med-Course
    Wash: Suave Naturals Conds (excluding Coconut), CVSB
    Rinse out/Leave In: GVP Cond. Balm, KCKT,
    Style: Naturelle Gel(winter HG), KCCC (summer HG), Flaxseed gel
    SOTC: JCNS
    Love your hair: Love yourself!
  • greencup13greencup13 Registered Users Posts: 596
    Thank you. Can the list be found on here or should I do a google?

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
    3A 3B mix
    Colored treated
    Medium coarse texture

Co-wash- As I Am Co-wash
    RO-GVPCB[/COLOR
    LI- As I Am leave in,
    [/COLOR][/COLOR]
    Okay. I found
    Ingredients Commonly Found in Hair Care Products

with a list of ingredients but Im a little confused now. According to that list my yes to carrots/cucumber, v05 kiwi lime, KCCC are all fine.

My question now is what about the DeVacare one condition, no-poo, and arcangel? Im seeing mixed things everywhere. Some are saying it doesnt have protein, some are saying it does.

Same with the Shea moisture raw shea butter conditioner and shampoo. Im getting mixed results. Some are saying it is a protein and some are saying its not.

If none of those are protein then Im REALLY confused because none of my products would have protein in it (except the vo5 champagne kiss which I have only used 2 times)
    3A 3B mix
    Colored treated
    Medium coarse texture

Co-wash- As I Am Co-wash
    RO-GVPCB[/COLOR
    LI- As I Am leave in,
    [/COLOR][/COLOR]
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Registered Users Posts: 1,275 Curl Connoisseur
    greencup13 wrote: »
    Okay. I found
    Ingredients Commonly Found in Hair Care Products

with a list of ingredients but Im a little confused now. According to that list my yes to carrots/cucumber, v05 kiwi lime, KCCC are all fine.

My question now is what about the DeVacare one condition, no-poo, and arcangel? Im seeing mixed things everywhere. Some are saying it doesnt have protein, some are saying it does.

Same with the Shea moisture raw shea butter conditioner and shampoo. Im getting mixed results. Some are saying it is a protein and some are saying its not.

If none of those are protein then Im REALLY confused because none of my products would have protein in it (except the vo5 champagne kiss which I have only used 2 times)

Check the ingredients on your VO5 Kiwi Lime, Greeencup. The bottles I see in my local Walmart have hydrolyzed collagen, which is a protein. For quick yes /no protein answers... As far as I know, Yes to Carrots and Yes to Cucumbers conditioners are both protein free. One Condition is protein free, but I've heard the hops extract can be problematic for people with protein sensitivities. The No-Poo has wheat, soy, and oat amino acids, so it is not protein free. ArcAnGEL is protein free, but has the hops extract that causes problems for some. The Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter shampoo is protein free, as is the Raw Shea Butter conditioner. However, the Raw Shea Butter conditioner has coconut oil, which is not a protein but does boost the hair's ability to retain protein (and can mimic protein overload for some).

As for a longer answer, the basic rule of thumb is that anything that says hydrolyzed is a protein, anything ending in amino acid is a protein, and obviously if it says "protein" it's a protein. Keratin and collagen are also proteins. Here's a quote from Redcelticcurly's blog about plant extracts, plant oils, and coconut oil, which are not technically proteins but can bother some people:
    Plant extracts. Plants contain protein, and so do their extracts. This category is not as commonly problematic as hydrolyzed grains, but they still do bother some. One high protein treatment I have seen is essentially a long list of grass extracts!

Plant oils, when properly processed, should be protein free. Look at any nutrition label of any 100% oil. You’ll see that there is no protein. Some natural websites that sell wheat germ oil claim that wheat germ oil contains proteins. An article by the Curl Chemist addresses this.

Coconut oil. Although it does not contain protein, coconut oil has been shown to reduce protein loss in hair. For some, this acts just like having protein buildup on hair. Coconut milk contains actual protein.

Jojoba oil is technically a liquid wax and may contain small amounts of protein.
    I recommend reading the rest of the entry I quoted. It has more good info. on maintaining the moisture /protein balance in your hair and what to do when that balance is off.
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Registered Users Posts: 2,251 Curl Neophyte
    If you shop at curlmart here is a link where I picked the filter of protein free.

Protein Free Products - CurlMart

Disclaimer: Curlmart tries to keep up on ingredient changes so it may not be 100% correct. If in doubt, ask us!
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

Thankyou!!!
    3A 3B mix
    Colored treated
    Medium coarse texture

Co-wash- As I Am Co-wash