Newbie needs help determining hair type

ChiChi Registered Users Posts: 21
Hey I am new to the site, I have however been natural
for 5 years but worn my hair in protective styles such as braids. The categorizing system has not helped or seems confusing. At first I thought I was a 4c but then I got really tight spring coils that snapped back when pulled when my hair was very moisturized and wet while shampooing that looked like 4b. I'm now convinced I have more than one hair type on my hair (possibly a combination of 4b and 4c hair)which is pretty common. The first pic is of my hair as is, the rest is after I put Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie overnight on a twist out.

Snapshot_20120420_5-1.jpg

Snapshot_20120518_2.jpg

mailgooglecom.jpg

2012-05-18100009.jpg

2012-05-18100020.jpg

Comments

• ChiChi Registered Users Posts: 21
    please excuse the crazy hot mess in the last pics I was getting the front of my hair rebraided
  • MIA1487MIA1487 Registered Users Posts: 85 Curl Neophyte
    I dont see any pictures

but i will tell you this

your curly hair type dont even matter to be honest. I think i am probably a 4b(because i have tightly coiled hair)

but honestly these types make no since..because curly hair is curly hair..there is no such thing as "zig zags"
    even in "4c" hair..the hair is like a slinky or a spring..but arent springs and slinkys round like curls? Yep...
    So really you have loosely curled hair to tightly curled hair

And i think moisture is the key for people with tightly curled hair..

You must know the right type of moisture to put in your hair. Im sure what works for me will def work for you as well.

I use the coconut cream/lime relaxer...really it's just a strong conditioner..it works wonders.
    Basically i just mix coconut cream(the small can of it) and a cap full of lime(sometimes 2 cap fulls) together and put it in the fridge over night(so you can make this stuff the night before you decide to wash your hair..or really any night..always keep your excess in the refrigerator) after it is hardened like a creamy consistancy..i apply it to all my hair especially the ends and i leave on my hair for 1 hour

wash it out (shampoo) and then i use Giovanni Smooth as Silk Conditioner(you can find it in the organic hair care section of walmart or target) i leave this conditioner on(and braid my hair after the conditioner is applied) for 1 hour
    then i wash out with braids intact

then i style

it is great heat protectant..but you can always add coconut oil after you wash for more moisture..

you will see/feel the dramatic difference in your hair..at least i did

It is very time consuming so if you try this make sure it's on a day that you are free
    Thanks for the solid advice! I've followed much of what you suggested before and have noticed a difference. I also had no idea the photos weren't working so I reposted them. I've heard many people say hair type doesn't matter as much and it isn't the be all end all which I agree with to some extent.
    http://i1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg624/chigewe/Snapshot_20120420_5-1.jpg

http://i1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg624/chigewe/Snapshot_20120518_2.jpg

http://i1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg624/chigewe/2012-05-18100009.jpg

http://i1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg624/chigewe/mailgooglecom.jpg
    I also make it part of my regimen to braid my hair before washing because I have such crazy shrinkage and the detangling process is much easier. I also learned I may have low porosity because it takes forever for my hair to dry and within a day and half if I don't moisturize well enough its as if I didn't put anything in at all. Anyone else having this problem?
  • lolas4bkinkylolas4bkinky Registered Users Posts: 44
    Chi wrote: »
    I also make it part of my regimen to braid my hair before washing because I have such crazy shrinkage and the detangling process is much easier. I also learned I may have low porosity because it takes forever for my hair to dry and within a day and half if I don't moisturize well enough its as if I didn't put anything in at all. Anyone else having this problem?

I used to until I started doing the LOC method with Oyin Handmade products

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file