Effective ways to put curly hair in a ponytail

I often have to put my hair up or just want to get it out of the way but I have not yet mastered an effective way to put my hair in a pony tail and make it look good (It is usually really poofy and falls out easily). I have really thick 2c type hair. If anyone has some tutorials, that would be great! thanks!

Comments

• ssarahdeessarahdee Posts: 27Registered Users
    I've noticed that if you pinch two small sections of hair right near the tie and pull them apart after you tie it relatively tight, it will stand up perkier and will look fuller :)
    whirlsandcurls YouTube
    BSL+, 3b, fine/medium texture&density, auburn

After 4 years of hard work,
    I healed my curls from 2c to 3b!

Currently head over heels for the
    Squish to Condish Method!
    :love4:

Loves: KCKT/KCCC, Ouidad Moisture Lock, Ouidad Heat & Humidity Gel,
    As I Am Leave-In, Ecostyler, Miss Jessie's Multicultural Curls,
    AG Re:curl + so many more
  • winnowillwinnowill Posts: 25Registered Users
    Having problems with this myself. Being a nurse I have to wear my hair pulled back. And just having it in a ponytail looks bad. It puffs out about midway but at the top where I have the elastic it is thin and straight. So I take a jaw clip after I put it in the elastic to cover it up.
    HAIR TYPE: 2B/2C
    TEXTURE: Medium
    POROSITY: Low
    ELASTICITY: Low
    DENSITY: Medium
  • wavymomwavymom Posts: 292Registered Users
    If I'm just going to wear it in a ponytail or bun all day, I rake a LI and then a gel through my hair, and then comb it up into a ponytail. If I use a fine tooth comb, it will dry almost straight against my head and then just be wavy/curly in the ponytail. There are some days I like this because it is contained and frizz-free and controlled. Other days I will dry it curly and then pull it back, then it is definitely more poofy but I think it's ok, as it is obvious I have curly hair. :)
  • raindearraindear Posts: 356Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Since the creation of banana clips, they are my preferred method of pulling my hair back; when it's long enough and I want it back. I like the look much better than I ever did the look of pony tails, and think the clips are gentler on my hair than any pony tail holders.
    Be Happy!

Type:2b/3ab?
    Texture:Medium/fine
    Porosity:Normal
    Elasticity:Normal

Experimenting with too many products to name here. All this great info keeps my head spinning. :happy6:
  • wavymomwavymom Posts: 292Registered Users
    Here is a fun link that might give you some good ideas:
    10 Summer Hair Looks | whoorl
  • serdaigleserdaigle Posts: 3Registered Users
    Unfortunately banana clips don't fit in my hair but ill try the other methods...thanks!

Sent from my PG86100 using CurlTalk App
  • greencup13greencup13 Posts: 596Registered Users
    Am I the only one that HATES the slicked back look. When I pull my hair back I always try to leave it loose so u get a curl/wave pattern so my head isn't flat. I can never do this though and made it looks nice. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
    3A 3B mix
    Colored treated
    Combo Low and High porosity
    Medium coarse texture

Goosefootprints hair analysis
    Co-wash- As I Am Co-wash
    RO-GVPCB[/COLOR
    LI- As I Am leave in,
    [/COLOR][/COLOR]
    Style- la looks sport gel
  • rapunzel4everrapunzel4ever Posts: 557Registered Users
    greencup13 wrote: »
    Am I the only one that HATES the slicked back look. When I pull my hair back I always try to leave it loose so u get a curl/wave pattern so my head isn't flat. I can never do this though and made it looks nice. Any suggestions?
    Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk

I recognize this, so I usually put my hair in a loose (side) braid with some curly hair to frame my face and pin all the strays back.

Sent from my HTC Legend
    2B/C-3A) fine - low porosity
    Routine:
    Wash: Daily Fix,SMT, Kesham, Urtekram
    RO: Motions CPR Li, Inecto Cocos co, AO GPB, KCTT
    acv-rinse, sometimes honey-rinse
    LI: coconut oil (winter), CJBC-LI
    Styling: AVG, Etos Solid Power Gel, Taft gel, CJPP, JCCC, BRHG
    Plopping~Pixiecurl diffuse~clipping
    KrullenWijzer.blogspot.nl
  • gncurriergncurrier Posts: 80Registered Users
    I do it wet; condish, brush, clip my fringe in a "POOF" over my forehead (I have a widow's peak, and need somehting up top...), brush into a ponytail, scrucnh some mousse into the ponytail, sleep on it (I do my hair @ night 99% of the time, but you can do it in the a.m. too...)
    I am Knight Valiant Red Riglets of Curlywood Forest and Theatrefriar of the Order of the Curly Crusaders!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file