Unsure about haircut!

ssarahdeessarahdee Posts: 27Registered Users
Okay ladies, we all know that long layers are theoretically supposed to look the best for us curlies/wavies, but honestly, how many times have you gone into a salon hopeful and come out an hour later disappointed? It's happened to me too many times, not because of the stylist, but rather my hair! I can never anticipate what it's going to do, so I've basically avoided getting haircuts my whole life. Also, because of just that, I don't have a solid stylist who knows my hair and it feels like Russian roulette every time I go into a salon!

I've spent the last two years growing out my curls and making them healthy from one chemical straightening and 7 years of excessive heat damage, so I do have about two inches that need to be cut off eventually. However, I have hair that wants to be a 3a/3b, but because of the damage, can only manage a good 2c.

My main concern is that my hair has finally reached that point where I know how to make it look nice in most situations, and I just don't want to loose that as soon as I get it! Haha. I'm completely terrified that I'm going to leave the salon and have lost all the work I've done!

My ideal haircut would look something like this girl's: Natural Curls Styling - YouTube

Her hair looks a bit thicker than mine:
5os1sj.jpg

So what do you think? Can I maybe pull it off? haha.

Edit: I'm super new and my signature won't show up yet!! I'll post it here until it does. Can someone help me?? I try to save it and it just keeps going the main page and not saving it? :/

2c, lower layers of 3a/3b.
medium density and texture, high porosity.
lots of heat damage

CW: SN Coconut
RO: L'Oreal Eversleek Sulfate-Free Smoothing system w/ sunflower oil
LI: Ouidad ML or SN Coconut
Stylers: LOOB and TIGI Curlesque strong hold mousse

Macadamia oil: <3<3<3
whirlsandcurls YouTube
BSL+, 3b, fine/medium texture&density, auburn

After 4 years of hard work,
I healed my curls from 2c to 3b!

Currently head over heels for the
Squish to Condish Method!
:love4:

Loves: KCKT/KCCC, Ouidad Moisture Lock, Ouidad Heat & Humidity Gel,
As I Am Leave-In, Ecostyler, Miss Jessie's Multicultural Curls,
AG Re:curl + so many more

Comments

• jakrussel3jakrussel3 Posts: 423Registered Users
    I say go for it. Cut off those last 2 inches of damaged hair. Your hair is pretty long and I think it can handle losing 2 inches, especially if they're damaged ends anyway. Layers will probably help a lot too. If you hate it, you can always grow it out, but I bet you don't hate it. Do you have any curly friends who could steer you towards a good stylist? Or have you used the stylist finder tool on natruallycurly.com?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Hair Properties: 2A/2B, Medium-fine, Normal porosity, Normal elasticity, Medium density
    Low Poo: DevaCare, Yes to Cuc's
    Rinse Out: DevaCare One Condition, Yes to Cuc's
    Cowash: Suave Naturals Lavender, Yes to Carrots Scalp Conditioner
    Curl Cream: AG ReCoil, Organix Moroccan Oil Curl Cream
    Gel/Mousse: Sweet Curls Elixirs FSG w/ Mag Sulfate added, Sweet Curls Elixirs hard hold gel, DevaCurl Frizz Free Foam, Aquage Uplifting Foam
    Protein: Spiral Solutions Protein Spray for daily use
  • MichellescurlsMichellescurls Posts: 81Registered Users
    Her hair is really pretty, and so is yours. I'd say go for it! with the ends off and some layers, I bet it would look pretty close. Your hair is long enough that it could handle two inches... I got 2" off mine not long ago and didn't even notice the difference, and I don't think mine was quite as long as yours is.
  • wavymomwavymom Posts: 292Registered Users
    I agree - go for it. I bet you will love it. Ask for long layers. Here is a great thread on what to ask/ tell your stylist.
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/salon-stylist-chatter/76806-what-should-i-tell-my-stylist.html
    I think you'll also find that now that you take such good care of your hair, you can get it to look good regardless. So, read all that good advice. And maybe see if you can find a recommended stylist, but even if you can't, try not to stress too much. You won't lose your curls and all that you've gained.
  • Curly_LynCurly_Lyn Posts: 116Registered Users
    I just had two inches cut off my bra-strap length hair, and I'm loving it. I can tell it's gone- but no one else can. It's so much easier to style how I want to style it, and it looks nicer.
    2B/fine to med texture/med porosity

Started CG on 5/5/12!
    Battling dry/itchy scalp since April 2010.... Starting to WIN! :)
    Low Poo: Nature's Gate Tea Tree Shampoo
    Cowash: GTTTT or GVPCB
    RO : Ion Effective Care
    LI : KCKT or GVPCB
    Stylers : FSG
    PT : IAgirl's PT w/ acv, coconut oil, GVPCB, herbs, green tea
  • ssarahdeessarahdee Posts: 27Registered Users
    I made an appointment at Ulta salon tomorrow afternoon! Thanks for the input, ladies :) I'll post some pictures!
    whirlsandcurls YouTube

• ssarahdeessarahdee Posts: 27Registered Users
    All I can say is that it's not horrible, but I am very unhappy with how it turned out. I told the stylist long layers, and to take about an inch off before hand. It was a wet cut, which I was unhappy about and should not have let happen. She told me she could cut it in a way that the curls would all fall together and while my hair does do that slightly, she took out a lotttt of the thickness I had and even admitted to me that she did not give me layers of any kind.

It looks all right, but I haven't been able to take a decent picture yet lol.
    whirlsandcurls YouTube

• Curly_LynCurly_Lyn Posts: 116Registered Users
    :( I can not believe how many stylists out there don't listen. Maybe you should start learning how to trim your own hair...
    2B/fine to med texture/med porosity

Started CG on 5/5/12!
    Battling dry/itchy scalp since April 2010.... Starting to WIN! :)
    Low Poo: Nature's Gate Tea Tree Shampoo
    Cowash: GTTTT or GVPCB
    RO : Ion Effective Care
    LI : KCKT or GVPCB
    Stylers : FSG
    PT : IAgirl's PT w/ acv, coconut oil, GVPCB, herbs, green tea

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file