Help! Why am I so itchy?

oh.hi.its.stephoh.hi.its.steph Posts: 640Registered Users
So last winter, I used to LOVE the Renpure Organics "My Pretty Hair is Parched" moisturizing shampoo... my hair never felt dry or stripped, and my scalp felt nice and clean. But suddenly, out of nowhere I started to get a case of the itchies -- and it was especially bad the first day after I washed my hair. I thought it was the GFSAS conditioner I was using because sometimes I would mix a little of it with the Renpure to dilute it a little, but I just brought out the shampoo again yesterday to help remove some silicones from my most recent hair cut and then a few hours later, BAM. Itchies.

This hasn't happened to me with pretty much any other product, um, ever. And I've used a LOT of products, LOL! Here's the ingredients list for the Renpure stuff, typed by hand cause there are a few different formulations of it floating around on the internet, so excuse any typos!

Ingredients: Purified Water, Coca. betaine, sodium lauroyl sarcosinate, lauryl glucoside, decyl glucoside, peg-120 methyl glucose dioleate, sodium lauroyl lactylate, silicone quaternium-17, helianthus annuus (sunflower seed) oil, punica granatum (pomegranate) fruit extract, carica papaya fruit extract, olea europaea (olive) leaf extract, hydrolyzed vegetable protein, panthenol, tocopheryl acetate, glycol stearate, glycerin, citric acid, peg-10 sunflower glycerides, polyquaternium-10, diazolidinyl urea, iodopropynyl butylcarbamate, fragrance

Any ideas, wavies?
whurly girly (2C/3A).
thick; medium/coarse; low porosity.
hair that is drier than the sahara desert.

LOW-POO: Renpure Organics
CO: L'Oreal EverCreme Cleansing Conditioner
RO: Renpure Keratin Conditioner. New HG!
LI: L'Oreal EverSleek Humidity-Defying LI Creme
Styling: SM Curl Milk, Argan Oil for sealing, sometimes GFPC Gel, some honey for hold, TIGI Control Freak Serum!!

Comments

• poemaXXpoemaXX Posts: 456Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    When I see a post about itching I usually freak out and think "GLYCOLS!" – knee jerk reaction. :) Anyway, since you've used so many products without a problem I don't think you're glycol sensitive. My suspicion is that it might be related to some of the fruit essences? Garnier Fructis conditioner made my scalp itch like crazy and in hindsight I think it was likely caused with the citrusy stuff rather than any hidden glycols... Hope your scalp feels better soon! The itchies are so distracting. :geek:
    || 3b; normal porosity; fine/normal texture || CG since Feb 2010 || SD/dandruff prone

Current Routine BAQ henna 1/month Leave-in OH Hair Dew Cheapie Conditioner Tresemme Naturals Moisturizing
    Old Stand-bys extra-virgin coconut oil Protein AO GPB; Moisture AO HR Style AOMMJ – Kept for troubleshooting.
    Waiting to try extra-wide curlformers SD treatment H&S Clinical Strength

• oh.hi.its.stephoh.hi.its.steph Posts: 640Registered Users
    poemaXX wrote: »
    When I see a post about itching I usually freak out and think "GLYCOLS!" – knee jerk reaction. :) Anyway, since you've used so many products without a problem I don't think you're glycol sensitive. My suspicion is that it might be related to some of the fruit essences? Garnier Fructis conditioner made my scalp itch like crazy and in hindsight I think it was likely caused with the citrusy stuff rather than any hidden glycols... Hope your scalp feels better soon! The itchies are so distracting. :geek:

What are glycols and why do they make people itch? I've never heard that before! :O Even if it's not why I'm itchy, it's still a good thing to know about, so thanks! Yeah, I've used tons of products before -- both natural ones and more chemically ones (like my beloved TIGI CF serum, haha) -- and I haven't been itchy like this before. I'm assuming, then, it must have something to do with either one or the combination of these particular extracts.
    whurly girly (2C/3A).
    thick; medium/coarse; low porosity.
    hair that is drier than the sahara desert.

LOW-POO: Renpure Organics
    CO: L'Oreal EverCreme Cleansing Conditioner
    RO: Renpure Keratin Conditioner. New HG!
    LI: L'Oreal EverSleek Humidity-Defying LI Creme
    Styling: SM Curl Milk, Argan Oil for sealing, sometimes GFPC Gel, some honey for hold, TIGI Control Freak Serum!!
  • poemaXXpoemaXX Posts: 456Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    What are glycols and why do they make people itch?

Glycols are a family of alcohols that are used as solvents and/or humectants in beauty products. Most people have no problems with them, but some people are allergic. My mom, my sister and myself get itchy when we use products with propylene glycol. We're not particularly allergic to it though, so it's not a health hazard. However, I have noticed my skin is much happier since I've cut it out of my daily regimen. I used to get a rash on my forehead (that I assumed was acne since I was a teenager and all) and that's a not an issue anymore.
    || 3b; normal porosity; fine/normal texture || CG since Feb 2010 || SD/dandruff prone

Current Routine BAQ henna 1/month Leave-in OH Hair Dew Cheapie Conditioner Tresemme Naturals Moisturizing
    Old Stand-bys extra-virgin coconut oil Protein AO GPB; Moisture AO HR Style AOMMJ – Kept for troubleshooting.
    Waiting to try extra-wide curlformers SD treatment H&S Clinical Strength

• asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't have an answer for you, sorry! The same thing happened to me with the Mop C low poo. Since I am a PJ I tried out the Jessicurl cleansers for awhile and then switched back to the Mop C and my scalp itched like crazy!! I've tried it a few times since and the same thing happens. I don't know why; I just avoid it and only use Jessicurl cleansers now.
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file