Hair color and cancer

CurlyMireyaCurlyMireya BannedPosts: 956Banned Users
I know there was some talk about hair color possibly causing cancer in the early-mid-90's. I remember my 6th grade teacher saying that going darker was the problem, that lightening was ok. I never heard anything else about it until recently when my mom said that she wasn't going to color as much because she'd heard on the news or somewhere that they now weren't sure if there is a link or not, but that you should watch coloring too often. I have to color because my hair is dark brown and I've had some gray hairs growing in since I was 24. it's really obvious on my hair. I sometimes just touch up with a rinse-out dye, but that can be a pain to deal with. What do you think about the hair color/cancer link? Have you heard anything about this? I don't understand why dying hair darker would be more likely to cause cancer - must be certain dyes. I buy a dark brown dye that matches my natural color (or actually it's a touch darker as it fades a little after a few days). I just has me a little worried since I color my hair once a month. Maybe I should switch to a semi-perm color, but I want something that offers good gray coverage and stays put for at least a few weeks.
"I'm half Hispanic, half white, and look like an Indian." - Bill Richardson

Comments

• CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Here's some info from Robert Craig's site, HTH --

http://www.robertcraig.com/health.html
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • CurlyMireyaCurlyMireya Banned Posts: 956Banned Users
    Thanks for the article, Curlilocks. I almost totally forgot about this thread!

I'm going to continue to color every month or so. I haven't read anything that leads me to believe there is a cancer/color link. I do hate the awful smell - Colorsilk seems to be the strongest-smelling of all - and I *could* believe that dying with that stuff more frequently than I do could be bad for your health. It permeates my nostrils, yuck.
    If you hate the smell, etc, maybe you should try RC's Color! No ammonia, peroxide or smell! :D Super gentle and covers my resistant grays wonderfully.
    CurliLocks wrote:
    If you hate the smell, etc, maybe you should try RC's Color! No ammonia, peroxide or smell! :D Super gentle and covers my resistant grays wonderfully.

I've heard of RC . It sounds good, but don't you have to order it? I try to use products that I can easily find in stores.
  • HalfWavyHalfCurlyHalfWavyHalfCurly Posts: 907Registered Users
    If you have a Sally's nearby, you could try either Wella's Color Charm, preferably in the tube (less ammonia) or Ion's Brilliance. I don't find their smell as strong as other colors, they leave the hair in good condition and the color really lasts. You don't even have to buy their own brand of developer, Sally's 20v. Salon Care Creme developer is inexpensive and good enough. Oh, and CC is concentrated (you use 1 part of it and 2 of developer) and lower priced so in the long run it's very inexpensive to use.
    2A/3A, medium length, layered, colored dark/medium ash blonde - "CGer" since April '02.

"Converting the 'curlskeptics' one curly head at a time..." HWHC ;-)
    CurliLocks wrote:

I've heard of RC . It sounds good, but don't you have to order it? I try to use products that I can easily find in stores.

Yes, it's online only, or select salons (see website).
    Thanks for the suggestions. Do you find that that the RC color stays put as well as other brands? I'm guessing it's like Natural Instincts, right? I'm going to check out the link right now! Also that Sally's color sounds great!
    Thanks for the suggestions. Do you find that that the RC color stays put as well as other brands? I'm guessing it's like Natural Instincts, right? I'm going to check out the link right now! Also that Sally's color sounds great!

I like it so much better than natural instincts. NI has peroxide and lifts color, so I was left with brassy color as it faded. Not so with RC, as it doesn't lift. And it's more gentle. :) Be sure to choose a lighter color as curly porous hair gets darker.
    CurliLocks wrote:

I like it so much better than natural instincts. NI has peroxide and lifts color, so I was left with brassy color as it faded. Not so with RC, as it doesn't lift. And it's more gentle. :) Be sure to choose a lighter color as curly porous hair gets darker.

Cool, thank you!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file