We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

I think I'll give the All-Natural thing a whirl........

MissKrisMissKris Posts: 288Registered Users
I've recently reading up on the hair product industry. And it's a big fat trap!!! So I did a lil research on what's in the grocery store that does what these huge product lines only claim to do.....

Starting with cleansing & conditioning:

I gotta say I feel enlightened!!! So I got some bentonite clay and acv(I'll try the Amla powder soon). I got some almond butter and some Vatika oil. Next step is pickin up the avocado and coconut milk...... I'm getting the same sensation I get when I create a tasty dish! I'll let you know how it goes.

P.S.- Not yet natural in styling. Miss Jessie's Curly Buttercreme does my hair right like a good man! Gimme time get on y'all level

Sent from my SPH-M910 using CurlTalk App

Comments

• FmasuhrFmasuhr Posts: 1,354Registered Users
    i agree with you i think thats the reason y i dont really use products..... its not just the hair industry its the beauty industry in particular. think about a massive line: make up, anti aging etc. its all the same, they'll just change one or two ingriedients so that it smells different or that theres a different "working product" in it. then they'll sell it with a "whole new formula" or a "cream" im only young but i stay away from all that stuff, n stick with my good old oils that do the same thing as somthing that you could pay 300 + for.
    just my 2 cents.

my hair: 3b, high porosity, high density and coarse hair (i think i finally figured that all out)
    my hair loves conditioner only styling!
    Oils and my own procuts are my hairs best friend
    my hair goal length is bra strap length when curly.
    :hello1:
  • Mwah LynxMwah Lynx Posts: 61Registered Users
    Yes definitely this. I'm still on the search for simple ingredients that preferably I can purchase in the produce section of a grocery store that make my hair just right(:
    When I was relaxed, many commercial products worked on my hair. It was magical *_*
    So I thought.
    I realized that, having product actually sitting on my hair doesn't mean it's moisturizing my hair..
    And then, I realized that all the products I had, contained ingredients that were pointless except for preservation of the product and downright negative for the chemistry of my body so.. I had to throw it all out.
    So I just know that out there somewhere, there will be something that will give my hair the same effects as some high end conditioner, without being concocted in an Area 51 science lab haha..

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk(;
  • MissKrisMissKris Posts: 288Registered Users
    The key is to stay away from paraffinum liquidum(mineral oil), petroleum/petrolatum, silicones(anything ending with "cone"), and alcohol(anything ending with "ol").

These companies use the scientific names of the ingredients, counting on our ignorance. It's truly the key to Dr. Miracle's success!

• KinkyRNKinkyRN Posts: 250Registered Users
    First i suggest you buy and read the Science of Black Hair it is the go to source for healthy hair. I must also comment on the other responses. Find what your hair likes. Don't just do what works well for you. I also noticed that some of your hair products are high in protein. Be careful of protein overload. I also suggest Curly Nikki another natural site that may cater to your needs. GOOD LUCK!!

Sent from my SGH-T679 using CurlTalk App
    All alcohol aren't bad and some cones are great. Just do your homework before you make any decisions !!

Ok kids! Did a hair mask of bentonite clay, acv, honey, and vatika oil for 20-30 min. Then did a condition of NuTress protein pak, organic almond butter(the brand I used has it mixed with palm fruit oil), honey, and vatika oil under heating cap. Not sure how long that was tho. I read a few chapters in my Bible.

After rinsing, I put a little vatika oil on my damp hair and put it in 2-strand twists. It's not fully dry yet, but it doesn't feel half bad actually! I think next round will be Amla powder and for conditioning I might do avocado in some coconut milk or yogurt. We'll see.....I'd love to hear about what y'all use...

I'm wearing wigs for the moment. Just until I can get some kinky twists.

• FmasuhrFmasuhr Posts: 1,354Registered Users
    MissKris wrote: »
    Ok kids! Did a hair mask of bentonite clay, acv, honey, and vatika oil for 20-30 min. Then did a condition of NuTress protein pak, organic almond butter(the brand I used has it mixed with palm fruit oil), honey, and vatika oil under heating cap. Not sure how long that was tho. I read a few chapters in my Bible.

After rinsing, I put a little vatika oil on my damp hair and put it in 2-strand twists. It's not fully dry yet, but it doesn't feel half bad actually! I think next round will be Amla powder and for conditioning I might do avocado in some coconut milk or yogurt. We'll see.....I'd love to hear about what y'all use...

I'm wearing wigs for the moment. Just until I can get some kinky twists.

when i do my DT's i use a base of my normal condish, then i pep it up using a few oils, macadamia oil or apricot oil or hemp oil or coconut oil. then i add a few drop vit E oil and rosemary or peppermint oil. i always finish with a herbal ACV rinse.
    somtimes, (like today) if i dont have time or dont feel like it, ill just do the herbal rinse. i think my hair likes it more then the DT :lol:

my hair: 3b, high porosity, high density and coarse hair (i think i finally figured that all out)
    my hair loves conditioner only styling!
    Oils and my own procuts are my hairs best friend
    my hair goal length is bra strap length when curly.
    :hello1:
    Anyone ever heard of okra juice as a leave in??? Saw a chick on YouTube using it and she was super excited about it!

Anyone ever heard of okra juice as a leave in??? Saw a chick on YouTube using it and she was super excited about it!

Whoa! No way.. I'm definitely gonna try that if I can find good information on it.
    Okra juice lol.. How in the world do people find out about this kind of stuff 0.0 Oh well if it works.

Ah here's a link on I

Awesome! Shout out to research(in my Reach Around Radio voice.....what a funny show)

Haha xD! I'll post updates on how moisturizing this is for the hair when I use it, probably next week sometime, and as for the growth, I'll use it rather frequently enough so I'll see if I get any significant growth after about a month.

Their is okra conditioner I got some from a swap but haven't used it yet.

Pleez fill me in on how you like it once you do

Hey, kids! Ok so I finally bought some Amla powder(got it on the swap board from peyrhy....I can see myself buying from her again). So it'll be the Amla with some water.

........hit submit too soon......

I made a list of everything the youtube-rs use to make their conditioners. So I'mma make me a lil concoction and see how it goes.

A lot of them like the avocado, coconut milk, honey, olive oil mix.....not sure if that's what I'll do exactly but we'll see...

Maybe banana/honey/olive oil?? I'mma hit the grocery store and get inspired. Anyone do the okra yet? Hit me with the new discoveries, y'all!

About to try amla powder today. I think I'll do a bentonite mask after that and then do another conditiion that I will make with banana, EVOO, coconut milk, honey......I might throw in a lil avocado too....we'll see.

Anybody got a report????
  • RimiRimi Posts: 2,001Registered Users
    Any tips on making sure the bentonite gets all the gunk off the scalp AND rinses completely?
    21 y/o lifelong natural {4a-O ; spongy ; coarse ; dense ; MBL stretched}

products {'poo: TJTTT shampoo | RO: TJTTT Condish | LI/style: TJTTT Condish, homemade cocoa butter cream | DC: condish + ayurvedic powder(s), Aussie 3MMM Treatment | PT: condish + NPF | oils: castor oil, grapeseed oil | other treatments: probiotics, tea rinses, AVG rinse/spritz, oil rinse | sealing method: LC sometimes O}

long-term: HL stretched, BSL unstretched

CG-friendly Products List!
    I mix with acv and vatika oil(cuts the acv smell). Don't make it with too much bentonite. You don't want it clumpy, which makes for a difficult rinse out. Apply to root and work your way out. Always use a plastic cap.

• RimiRimi Posts: 2,001Registered Users
    Thanks! I'll do this next wash day. Do you think the oil helps as well, or is it mainly for the smell?
    21 y/o lifelong natural {4a-O ; spongy ; coarse ; dense ; MBL stretched}

products {'poo: TJTTT shampoo | RO: TJTTT Condish | LI/style: TJTTT Condish, homemade cocoa butter cream | DC: condish + ayurvedic powder(s), Aussie 3MMM Treatment | PT: condish + NPF | oils: castor oil, grapeseed oil | other treatments: probiotics, tea rinses, AVG rinse/spritz, oil rinse | sealing method: LC sometimes O}

long-term: HL stretched, BSL unstretched

CG-friendly Products List!
    Rimi wrote: »
    Thanks! I'll do this next wash day. Do you think the oil helps as well, or is it mainly for the smell?

Oil definitely does double duty for smell and for conditioning.

My hair is quite happy. Used amla powder with water instead of shampoo and I like... the bentonite mask really helped to loosen my curl a bit(I have tightest type 4 curl ever!).

Now the smoothie.......you're not gonna believe this, but I used the entire batch!
    I used 1 whole banana, 1 whole avocado, a couple tbsp honey, a couple tbsp EVOO, and a splash of coconut milk. EXCELLENT!!!!!!

WARNING: Please use a blender or food processor. I did not heed the youtubers' warning and wound up with banana bits in my hair. It was easily remedied with an extra rinse and thorough comb out, but I implore you, DON'T DO THIS TO YOURSELF!!!!

Other than that, AWESOME!

• naturallycreolenaturallycreole Posts: 112Registered Users
    Rimi wrote: »
    Any tips on making sure the bentonite gets all the gunk off the scalp AND rinses completely?

I co-rinse clays and henna with a very slippery condish. My personal choices are YTT and YTCu; although, I have not seen YTT at the usual on the ground stores in a long time. A stronger ACV solution for the scalp only or a little raw sugar in a little clay mix(container on the side) not your mix you are using on your entire head) should take care of heavy build up or you may have to use a clarifying shampoo on the scalp prior to using the clay mix.

Will you look back on life and say I wish I had or I'm glad I did. -Sent from my iPod touch using CurlTalk-
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users
    My hair prefers a mostly natural regimen. I prepoo with EVOO, shampoo usually with Shikakai bar. (alternate sometimes with TJ Tea tree tingle shampoo). I always make my own dc of banana, honey and oil because my hair loves it and no other dc ever worked as well. I use TN, Y2C or TJ Nourish and Spa to rinse out the dc and use of the three mixed with aVJ for my leavein. I also cowash with these. I henna for color.

When I dont stick to all natural it is usually a styler. Although a lot of times I use just conditioner and oil to style or end up making if there is a lot of humidity.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
    I'm about to do another experiment, kids. I'mma make black castor oil using a recipe from youtuber OhValerieMonCherie. My garlic seed and onion seed oils come in this week and all the other ingredients were purchased over the wknd. So we'll see how much growth I get...

I may try to make the garlic seed and onion seed oils myself next time (check out youtubers rainbowlady36 and rickvanman for DIY allium cepa/allium sativum).

I'm about to do another experiment, kids. I'mma make black castor oil using a recipe from youtuber OhValerieMonCherie. My garlic seed and onion seed oils come in this week and all the other ingredients were purchased over the wknd. So we'll see how much growth I get...

I may try to make the garlic seed and onion seed oils myself next time (check out youtubers rainbowlady36 and rickvanman for DIY allium cepa/allium sativum).

Well I did it, kids! I made the black castor oil over the wknd and there's a nice scalp tingle to it. The smell isn't too overpowering, and I added orange oil for an aroma boost.

UPDATE......

My hair always itches. It's been that way for quite some time. But the black castor oil, while it offers a tingle that I like, it also causes a more extreme itch. So I now only use it in my condish mixes.

Instead, I take 4-4.5 oz. Of castor oil and add to it a couple of drops of each of the following EOs:

1. Tea tree
    2. Sage
    3. Rosemary
    4. Neem
    5. Peppermint

This offers an even better tingle without maximizing the itch. YAY!

AND...

2day I made a different condish mix than I normally make....

Egg yolks
    Coconut milk
    Coconut oil
    Shea oil
    Vitamin E oil
    AVJ
    Honey
    Allium sativum
    Allium cepa
    Black castor oil
    Amla powder
    Orange oil (for fragrance)

......about to apply now...

Birth Feb 1984, First press 1990, First relaxer 1992, Last relaxer Oct 2006, BC Sept 2007, 4c.....
  • TristanAmberTristanAmber Posts: 38Registered Users
    Has anyone ever used black soap for their hair...just curious? I read the ingredients and it is all natural. I think I will try this next wash day and let you guys know how it works out.
    I have a cleansing mix that has black and castille soaps along with a few oils.

Birth Feb 1984, First press 1990, First relaxer 1992, Last relaxer Oct 2006, BC Sept 2007, 4c.....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file