Hair not handling the heat

Accidental CurlsAccidental Curls Posts: 67Registered Users Curl Neophyte
During the fall and winter, I had my hair routine down. I got mostly decent and sometimes really good results. Now that the warm weather has arrived, my hair is not happy. Sadly, I still have not gotten the hang of doing my hair during the summer months. I settle for passable because my hair detests the heat. The problem is that my hair is very, very erratic in the summer. I have curls, waves and straight sections in my hair, and they look drastically different in the summer.

I don’t like how my hair feels, how it is so frizzy, how the hair patterns in my hair look mismatched, how my hair changes throughout the day, how my hair looks horrible on the second day, how I am paranoid my hair is looking worse throughout the day, and how it seems my hair cannot get enough product. These problems don’t occur aside for little bit frizz in the colder months.
I co-wash sometimes or use a non-sulphate shampoo. I use a rinse out, then use conditioner as a leave-in, apply a little bit of oil to seal the hair, and then add gel. I did the same in the winter months but my hair is not responding well. I am using the same products in my siggie.

I am just really not liking my hair at all. I really wish it would turn straight during the summer months. I am just frustrated especially today when the temperature was really high.
Hair pattern:Wavy
Texture: mainly coarse hair with some medium strands
Porosity: Normal and High porosity
Re-CGed (modified) April 2011
Cowash: Suave Ocean Breeze
Rinse Out: GF's Triple conditioner
Other products: HEBE and grapeseed oil
Occasional Shampoo: Giovanni tea tree triple treat shampoo

Comments

• Accidental CurlsAccidental Curls Posts: 67Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    So from the lack of replies, I guess no one knows?

I am feeling overwhelmed right now because this weekend I had eight relatives including my mom tell me how ugly and terrible they found my hair. I was at a family barbeque and they all said it together. I really felt outnumbered. I was mortified by this but sadly I don't really disagree with them. Right now I even can't stand the way my hair looks in buns. I'm just venting.
  • Mimee03Mimee03 Posts: 190Registered Users
    Sorry I really have advice. I've heard oil helps frizz but I am battling with frizz too. That's terrible that your family ganged up on you like that :( I'm sorry.
  • Chicago KinksChicago Kinks Posts: 2,748Registered Users Curl Novice
    So from the lack of replies, I guess no one knows?

I am feeling overwhelmed right now because this weekend I had eight relatives including my mom tell me how ugly and terrible they found my hair. I was at a family barbeque and they all said it together. I really felt outnumbered. I was mortified by this but sadly I don't really disagree with them. Right now I even can't stand the way my hair looks in buns. I'm just venting.

Paste the products your using, I can't see your siggy. Most people need to tweek the products and/or the amount they use for the summer months. Once you list what your using, I may be able to assist.

...tell PETA my mink is dragging on the floor...
    vIa tHiS rAgEdY aSs pHoNe
    **sophisticated ignorance, I type my cuss words in cursive**

Current Rotation (always changing): Curl Junkie Curl Rehab as my Leave-In, Blended Beauty Happy Nappy Styles, Entwine Argan Oil, Bobeam Shampoo Bars, QB CTDG and QB AHTB, UFD Curly Magic, B.A.S.K Anything.

http://www.platinumpj.com
    http://www.facebook.com/PlatinumPJ
    @PlatinumPJ
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Not sure it's the summer, but the high dew point that your hair doesn't like??

I suspect the lack of response is because the boards are slow for the holiday weekend. Many coarse haired curlies can't use protein when the dew point is low, but can add it into their regime when the dew point is high. Some of it is finding the protein that your hair can tolerate--also, the high porosity hair probably would like a shot of protein.

Two other thoughts. When was your last haircut?? I go every six weeks. When I saw my stylist the other week, he saw my hair and said that it was time for more layers. The other is do you seal?? You can search sealing. It may keep your hair from absorbing moisture from the air and "growing" throughout the day.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't know your hair properties, but, from the description of how your hair changes throughout the day, I'd guess your hair is at least a little porous. Sealing helps with this. Also, if you're not against using silicones, they can be helpful in high dewpoints.

Siri types my posts for me.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • CubanwavyCubanwavy Posts: 293Registered Users
    Could you maybe need to clarify and start fresh again!
  • Accidental CurlsAccidental Curls Posts: 67Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks everyone for the responses.

Mimee03 wrote: »
    Sorry I really have advice. I've heard oil helps frizz but I am battling with frizz too. That's terrible that your family ganged up on you like that I'm sorry.

Thanks. I am feeling a bit better now. I am wearing my hair in a braid to avoid dealing with my hair too much.

I am using grapeseed oil to seal but I'm not liking the results. I liked coconut oil but after awhile it makes my hair feel straw like.

Hope you find a solution as well. :icon_smile:

[QUOTE=Chicago Kinks;1961893[/COLOR]
    Paste the products your using, I can't see your siggy. Most people need to tweek the products and/or the amount they use for the summer months. Once you list what your using, I may be able to assist.
    [/QUOTE]

My hair is on the coarse side, and it is a mix of high porosity and normal porosity.

I am using tresemme or suave conditioner as a co-wash but only once a week, and I use Giovanni triple tea tree oil shampoo twice a week.

I use GF’s triple conditioner as a rinse out, and I leave a little bit of tresemme conditioner on the hair afterwards. Then I use grapeseed oil and after I use one of the herbal essences gels to style. I then later apply more gel and conditioner to hair when it is half dry.

kathymack wrote: »
    Not sure it's the summer, but the high dew point that your hair doesn't like??
    kathymack wrote: »

I suspect the lack of response is because the boards are slow for the holiday weekend. Many coarse haired curlies can't use protein when the dew point is low, but can add it into their regime when the dew point is high. Some of it is finding the protein that your hair can tolerate--also, the high porosity hair probably would like a shot of protein.

Two other thoughts. When was your last haircut?? I go every six weeks. When I saw my stylist the other week, he saw my hair and said that it was time for more layers. The other is do you seal?? You can search sealing. It may keep your hair from absorbing moisture from the air and "growing" throughout the day.

I should have realized about the holiday. I just thought it wasn’t a very common problem among wavies.

The high dew point could be the problem, and maybe I should try some protein. I try to avoid protein because my hair does not respond well to protein and takes time to recover. However, I could keep track of the types of protein and hair reactions if it means good results.

I went for my last haircut in January and got a trim. My hair seemed fine then but now my hair pattern is very inconsistent.

I do seal with grapeseed oil and it worked well in the winter but I think I need to try another oil now. I have to look into that.

I don't know your hair properties, but, from the description of how your hair changes throughout the day, I'd guess your hair is at least a little porous. Sealing helps with this. Also, if you're not against using silicones, they can be helpful in high dewpoints.

You are right it is on the porous side. I think I need to look more into finding a better sealant. I find myself wanting to add more oil through the day because it does not seem like enough.

Silicones sound like a good idea right about now.

Cubanwavy wrote: »
    Could you maybe need to clarify and start fresh again!

I did not think about this. I thought the shampoo was enough but I will definitely try this.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights