Changing tables

beliciousbelicious Registered Users Posts: 196
I want to make sure my husband is as comfortable as possible with diaper changes. He would like to make sure there is protection so that baby does not roll off if he walks away for a moment or picks up something off the floor and does not have hands on the baby the whole time. Any advice on what would be best? Also, is it easier to change the baby if the baby's bottom faces you? Here's a unit I was thinking about:
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2302841&cp=2255986.2256245.2256272&view=all&parentPage=family
and here's another that includes a baby bath:
http://www.burlingtoncoatfactory.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Section_Id=38223&pcount=&pn=1&Product_Id=381387&sku1=k_s1_73434991

I would appreciate any advice and suggestions. Thanks!
Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
My hair shrinks or expands according to the humidity and my hair products. ;)
2C hair, thick and coarse and dry

Comments

• geekygeeky Registered Users Posts: 4,995
    You never walk away for a moment when you have a baby on the changing table. Keep your hands and eye on that kid at all times, because even the little guard rail is not enough once they start to roll and you never know when your baby will start to roll.

I personally thought the changing table was a waste of space and money. We got a dresser that was the right height and put achanging pad on it. My son will be able to use it forever, if he wants. Even that we did not use so much. By 6 months I was putting a pad down on the floor or on the bed or wherever most of the time and changing him there.

A few people I know were happy with the changing tables where the baby's tush faces you. And that is how I generally change my son when I do it on the bed, so if you do get one, I think it would be a good idea.

I presonally wouldn't pay $179 for the bathtub combo/changing table. Seems like it would not be really great as either changing table or tub.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • three rivers curlythree rivers curly Registered Users Posts: 994
    We skipped the whole changing table thing. We generally changed daughter on a pad on the floor or on a bed. It just seemed more secure. I didn't even like changing her on the fold out tables provided in restrooms, to much chance of her rolling.
    Better everyone think your a fool, than to open your mouth and prove them right.

Perception is not reality.

http://public.fotki.com/hmiklos
  • beliciousbelicious Registered Users Posts: 196
    After doing a lil more reading, I see how important it is to never take hands or eyes off the baby when changing. But I also see how that could easily happen for a moment or two and that could be devastating! Makes me so nervous! I think we will just get a changing pad for now - one like this: http://store.babycenter.com/product/nursery/changing+tables/portable+changing+pad.do

and I will keep exploring options... Thanks so much for the advice and info. I am gonna be a first-time mom so I am so grateful to learn from your experiences.
  • picklesgirlpicklesgirl Registered Users Posts: 1,955
    I thought about getting a changing table with my first and then relized it would be a waste of money. I always just changed him on the floor. I kept a basket in the living room with diapers and wipes and then just changed him there. If you wanting something though I would just suggest getting one of those white pad things and sitting it on a dresser or something and then you're not out all that much money when you don't use it. :wink:
    Mm59.jpg.png

.png

.png
  • marielle448marielle448 Registered Users Posts: 1,823
    I would not pay for a changing table. They're expensive, usually not enough storage space and very short so you won't get your money's worth.

I repurposed a piece of dining room furniture (a long buffet with doors and drawers) in the bedroom and placed a changing pad on top (gets screwed to the back). I always changed on the changing table. My husband is very tall and has a bad back so we just got used to using the changing table. Also, never had an explosive poo or pee hit our bed or the rug due to changing on the floor or bed. When the child hits that squirmy toddler phase for us changing on the table was great because it was a constant and he knew it was business once we were on there.

Also, since it was a reused piece of furniture my 3 year old still fits on it lengthwise which is great. With the boys I never change with their bottoms facing me, too much risk for an accident to reach my face when they were younger so always sideways parallel to me. :lol:
  • iris427iris427 Registered Users Posts: 6,002
    A friend of mine found a dresser that had a built in changing area at the top, with the little rail. It was perfect for her and even once her baby outgrows diapers, she will have this nice dresser.

She bought it at a consignment shop, so I can't give you a link, but you could probably find something like it somewhere
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • beliciousbelicious Registered Users Posts: 196
    marielle448 wrote: With the boys I never change with their bottoms facing me, too much risk for an accident to reach my face when they were younger so always sideways parallel to me.

This cracks me up. And I am glad you mention this because we are having a boy.
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Registered Users Posts: 2,671 Curl Neophyte
    iris427 wrote:
    A friend of mine found a dresser that had a built in changing area at the top, with the little rail. It was perfect for her and even once her baby outgrows diapers, she will have this nice dresser.

She bought it at a consignment shop, so I can't give you a link, but you could probably find something like it somewhere

Ours is something like that. The top is scalloped to keep the wiggly baby in. Then once we don't need that anymore, we flip the whole thing, re-do the drawers and it looks like a normal dresser.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • M2LRM2LR Registered Users Posts: 8,630 Curl Connoisseur
    We did the dresser thing as well, and just bought the changing pad to use.

With my son, we used the changing pad a few times. With my daughter? She will be one in a few weeks, and we have not used the changing pad ONCE. It's brand new.
    :rambo:
  • CGNYCCGNYC Registered Users Posts: 4,938 Curl Connoisseur
    S's changing table is really just a dresser/chest of drawers with a rail around three sides. We used it as a changing table till she was about eight months and just too wiggly (even with both of my hands on her, that kid could MOVE). Now it's just a really pretty piece of furniture and I'm changing diapers on the floor.

I don't think I'd get a changing table that was JUST a changing table, but having a piece of storage furniture that you can also use as a changing table is very handy. Whatever changing pad/cushion thing you get - get extra covers. Several. Trust me.
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Registered Users Posts: 5,297 Curl Neophyte
    Agree with Geeky and TRC.

We had a dresser w/ the changing table on top, but I found it to be a pain. You had to have everything there, and ready, and if you forgot anything, there was the risk of "reaching" for something while the baby was on the table, and that freaked me out. Plus, B seemed to feel insecure being high up like that AND I'm lazy, and never felt like going into the nursery to change her diaper.

We got something like this:

http://store.babycenter.com/product/safety+-+baby+care/diaper+bags+-+diapering/creams%2C+wipes+-+accessories/dresser+top+diaper+depot.do?asc=false

And kept everything for diapering in there, kept it in the living room, and then we just used a changing pad, and did it on the floor.

Better to always keep your baby on the floor. I've seen people put the baby seats on countertops or tables, or shelves, and it gives me a heart attack. A fall like that is pretty damaging for a newborn.
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file