How often to rinse/condition

raynebairraynebair Posts: 37Registered Users
I'm a newbie and I'm wondering how often does everyone normally rinse and condition?

I know I don't need to co-wash every day. I used to go several days, sometimes a week between actual washes before, but now, because my hair isn't straight, the frizz halo and dry feeling is driving me crazy.

Is it okay to rinse out my hair with water, then condition and gel it every morning? I'm trying 2nd day hair today and to me it looks worse than yesterday, but actually feels less dry. I slept with it in a pineapple then this morning, shook it down, then wet it a bit (with hands, don't have a spray bottle yet), then applied a dime size amount of gel and conditioner. It looks okay, but still not as nice as yesterday, although it feels less dry and less gunky than yesterday, but certainly not smooth.

If I can get past this 2nd day hair issue, I could live with every other day, but I still feel like I need to really rinse, condition and gel every day.

So I'm not really sure how often I should do that. Does it really matter in the long run? Should I just try it for a week and see what happens?

By the way, my husband says he can already tell a difference in how poofy/frizzy my hair is compared to before. :love5:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
CG since May 23, 2012
Yep, I'm a newbie!
Hispanic with 3a/b curls that did not exist when I was a child

Current Products:
Suave Naturals Everlasting Sunshine
VO5 Tea Therapy Blackberry Sage
HETT gel

Comments

• KilajoKilajo Posts: 786Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I rinse or cowash every day.

Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App
  • raynebairraynebair Posts: 37Registered Users
    Thanks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    CG since May 23, 2012
    Yep, I'm a newbie!

Current Products:
    HETT gel
  • nana_banananana_banana Posts: 735Registered Users
    Co-washing and rinsing with conditioner are two different things for me. Co-washing is when I use my conditioner like a shampoo, scrub my hair and rub my scalp. I do that once a week (I shampoo on Saturday or Sunday, so I will co-wash mid-week, like on Wednesday).

Conditioner rinsing is when I get my hair wet and smooth on some conditioner, leave it in for the duration of my shower, and then rinse it out. I do this every day or every second day.

Second day hair, for me, is something of a challenge. I don't really like the way my hair looks with second day hair so I conditioner rinse almost every day. Luckily, my hair air dries relatively fast (within a couple of hours).
    Hair type: Mostly 3C, medium porosity to high porosity depending on the day, dense, fluffy, dry, tangly!

:afro:
  • raynebairraynebair Posts: 37Registered Users
    Thanks. Before CG I would only wash my hair about 1-2 times a week. So I know I don't have to co-wash every time. But as of now I don't like my 2nd day hair, so yeah. Your explanation is exactly what I was thinking. Rinse with water, then apply conditioner to add moisture.

I'm finding my hair takes at least 2 hours or more to air-dry completely, so I can have that wet gel look til lunch time before it's dry enough to SOTC.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    CG since May 23, 2012
    Yep, I'm a newbie!

Current Products:
    HETT gel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights