How do you find out hair porosity?

CalypsoPenCalypsoPen Posts: 7Registered Users
Hi everyone! I'm new, and I've been looking around, so I've seen a lot of users listing their "hair porosity" as regular, low, medium, or high. I guess my questions are first of all, what is hair porosity? And second of all, How do I find out what mine is? Also if anyone could explain some of the abbreviations for me that would be great :) Thanks a ton!

Comments

• nana_banananana_banana Posts: 735Registered Users
    This is a good link on how to find your hair porosity and density: How to Find Your Hair Porosity and Density | Curly Nikki | Natural Hair Styles and Curly Hair Care

I think I am medium porosity because when I do the "test", my hair is between feeling wet and feeling straw-like.

I also judge my porosity by how my hair absorbs products. My hair "takes" to a product, like a leave-in, much easier if my hair isn't soaking wet. I will squeeze out the water and then wrap my hair in my t-shirt turban. I will leave on my t-shirt turban for the duration of my post-shower routine (face lotion, eye cream, body lotion, and getting dressed--about 10 minutes or so).
    Hair type: Mostly 3C, medium porosity to high porosity depending on the day, dense, fluffy, dry, tangly!

:afro:
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hair porosity has to do with how tight the cuticle is. Here's another link to help Live Curly Live Free - Curly Hair Basics If your hair is porous, it takes in and gives up moisture readily. If your hair is low porosity, the cuticle is very tight--high has difficulty absorbing or giving up moisture (or anything else for that matter.) Porous hair dries quickly, low porosity hair does not--if that helps.

There a thread stickied to the top of the newby forum that gives you the acronyms at the top. http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/newbies-info-introductions/74759-acronyms-abbreviations-definitions.html

I suggest you read the stickies at the top of most of the forums. That way, you'll have a lot of the information you need to know what's being discussed on the boards.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • raynebairraynebair Posts: 37Registered Users
    OK, so reading the articles, I'm even more confused. Now I can't figure out if my hair is high or low porosity!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    CG since May 23, 2012
    Yep, I'm a newbie!
    Hispanic with 3a/b curls that did not exist when I was a child

Current Products:
    Suave Naturals Everlasting Sunshine
    VO5 Tea Therapy Blackberry Sage
    HETT gel
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    raynebair wrote: »
    OK, so reading the articles, I'm even more confused. Now I can't figure out if my hair is high or low porosity!

Does it take a LONG time for your hair to dry?? My hair isn't very dense anymore. When I worked (before I used any product), I showered around 6 am and diffused my hair for a few minutes. At 11:30, if I put my hand under the nape of my neck, it would still be damp. Now that I use products, I wrap in a Curlease while I dress, scrunch with a CLU towel and diffuse. It still takes my hair a few more hours to dry--and my hair isn't dense.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My hair shows signs of low porosity from everything I've read about porosity. But it's been so heat damaged (I flat-ironed it 1-2 times a week), I just assumed it was high porosity.

It takes hours to dry, it doesn't get instantly soaked when I wet it in the shower, I always have to massage the hair a bit to get it really wet and if I put my dry hair in a bath or pool, it just floats on top for a bit before really getting wet.

So maybe the problem is, it doesn't absorb moisture easily (which would make sense since my skin has always been super dry) and I've been sucking out what it does have when I flat-iron.

If all this is true, then how do I add moisture? Deep treatment and being very generous with my leave-in?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    CG since May 23, 2012
    Yep, I'm a newbie!

Current Products:
    HETT gel
    I thought it did! Most of my hair can still be damp 2 hours later, even if my ends are dry in 20 minutes. But maybe 2 hours isn't a long time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    CG since May 23, 2012
    Yep, I'm a newbie!

Current Products:
    HETT gel
    Maybe I just need to inspect my hair strands under a microscope. I work in a place that has plenty so I may have to find someone that is willing to let me borrow one. lol!

Or maybe just keep doing what I'm doing now and see what happens in another week or two.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    CG since May 23, 2012
    Yep, I'm a newbie!

Current Products:
    HETT gel
    I never really liked blow drying my hair, because it seemed to take way too long to dry all of it and I never could really get my roots dry. So I preferred the air-dry method.

Well, I definitely can't wash my hair after 6pm, because it will still be damp at bedtime (10pm).

I might experiment this weekend since it's a long weekend. Do a conditioner rinse as soon as I get home. No product or leave-in or anything and see how long it takes my hair to dry fully (including the hair close to my scalp). Then in the morning I'll do a few other porosity tests.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    CG since May 23, 2012
    Yep, I'm a newbie!

Current Products:
    HETT gel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights