any others stragglers here?/

mamaherreramamaherrera Posts: 886Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I have a weird issue, and I know it's a "2" thing. No matter how much I scrunch and do it in sections to try and get stuff distributed and curled the same, when it dries, there are ALWAYS these strangglers, that either 1) don't curl at the ends, and they're "s" about half-way down and straight the last part down, totally embarrassing because they really stick out. And 2) Other sections that didn't get scrunched or something at all, because they're like almost completely straight. What is going on with this?? I really could use some help on how to make this less of an "obvious" issue that people can see. One thing is frizz, but it's worse to look like a curly "wanna-be" because of these pieces that are straight. :love5: I don't know if they're not getting together in their clump or what is going on.
2c
Medium texture
Normal porosity
Normal elasticity
can get weighed down with lots of oils
Co-wash-trying giovanni wellness
Rinse out: Garnier Body Boost, GVP
Leave-in: none right now, maybe a touch of SM curling souffle
Curl enhancer: AOMM and KCCC
Gel: Kiss my face gel
DT:Jessicurl
Low Poo: abba pure and natural, Giovanni Wellness
working on: getting rid of frizz from the get-go

Comments

• ladybug8412ladybug8412 Posts: 40Registered Users
    I have the same exact problem. I have extremely fine 2b hair, and the only thing that helps me is to scrunch my hair a lot and diffusing until dry. I can't allow my hair to air dry at all or else it's limp and flat.
    Fine 2b hair, medium density, high porosity, normal elasticity
    High dew points every season except winter, but high humidity year-round
    Modified CG since 5/26/12
    Low 'poo: Nature's Gates Herbal Shampoo
    CO wash: V05 Kiwi Squeeze Clarifying Conditioner
    RO: GVP CB
    DT: GVP CB
    PT: ION EC twice a week; IA Girl's Gelatin PT once a week
    Styler: Just 4 Us Naturals Spring Back Curling Custard, HETT gel, and Ecostyler Krystal
    Methods: diffusing for volume, SOTC
    HG Products: Just 4 Us CC, GVP CB
  • jakrussel3jakrussel3 Posts: 423Registered Users
    Same here. I'm 2a, possibly 2b. I absolutely have to distribute my product via "scrunch n pump" and then diffuse. If I don't, my ends are straight or stick out funny and I'll get strands with barely any wave at all, while other strands wave up perfectly. Drives me bonkers. I've been messing around with curl keeper, AIF, and BRHG lately and it seems to be helping a bit. I just have to get the gel proportions correct.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Hair Properties: 2A/2B, Medium-fine, Normal porosity, Normal elasticity, Medium density
    Low Poo: DevaCare, Yes to Cuc's
    Rinse Out: DevaCare One Condition, Yes to Cuc's
    Cowash: Suave Naturals Lavender, Yes to Carrots Scalp Conditioner
    Curl Cream: AG ReCoil, Organix Moroccan Oil Curl Cream
    Gel/Mousse: Sweet Curls Elixirs FSG w/ Mag Sulfate added, Sweet Curls Elixirs hard hold gel, DevaCurl Frizz Free Foam, Aquage Uplifting Foam
    Protein: Spiral Solutions Protein Spray for daily use
  • SaraNoHSaraNoH Posts: 827Registered Users
    Have you thought about using a Denman brush or similar to distribute product? You can use it after your hair is detangled and has product in, then comb through. Since my hair is thick it can be hard to distribute, but this has been helping a lot.
    CG Birthday: 7/25/11
    Type 3a/2c
    Dense, Fine in front Coarse in back, Low porosity
    Low-Poo: SM Moisture Retention Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Tresemme Naturals
    Leave In: ^^^^
    Stylers: AIF, Natural Silks Curly Gel
    *Desert Curly*
  • TiliTili Posts: 14Registered Users
    I have the same problem but only on the left side of my head. My right side scrunches up and the curls separate themselves out perfectly. My left side tends to straighten out or else bunch up into one big mass. It looks particularly ridiculous to have one side of my head look nice and one side look terrible. I have also noticed that blow drying right away seems to help rather than letting it air dry. This makes me sad because I hate blow drying. I really have no patience for it.

My left side is my thicker side and I've wondered if maybe it's not getting enough product so I'm going to try focusing on that a bit more and see if it helps.
  • mamaherreramamaherrera Posts: 886Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    gosh at least I know I"m not alone in this. It's a mess. Yes I think it has something to do with the fact that my hair is thick. I don't have a lot per say in number of hairs on my head, but my strands are thick. And I think I'm not getting that gel distributed right or I"m not scrunching all parts, I think I have parts of my head that I favor and get more attention in scrunching!! I've tried sectioning my hair in sections and doing a section at a time, and that helps, but it makes me mad because it takes so much time and I still get those strands that are twice as long as the rest of my hair because they didn't curl!! Embarrassing!! The denman brush might be a good thing to try. I notice when I used to comb after products it did help all my hair get in the right clump and not be left out, but I lose some curl. do you think a denman helps retain "curls" better than a wide-tooth comb? I Just hate to brush my hair when it's damp, I feel like I'm going to break my hair. It's so hard to be wavy and not curly or straight.
    2c
    Medium texture
    Normal porosity
    Normal elasticity
  • TiliTili Posts: 14Registered Users
    OK I tried something different and was very happy with the results. I'm pretty new to the CG method so I've been following it pretty closely. I've been putting leave-in into my very wet hair, followed immediately by gel, then air or blow drying. My curls seem stretched out or weighed down in places, or still frizzy in other places. Before CG I always put moose into my towel dried hair and at least they didn't seem too flat. So this time I put leave-in into my very wet hair, then plopped with a t-shirt while getting dressed, doing my face, etc. I unplopped, wet my hands a little bit, and then scrunched (not combed) gel through my hair. I let it air dry and it turned out great! For whatever reason, putting gel on my wet wet hair seems to weigh it down. My hair is almost straight when it is wet but the curls bounce back up as they dry. I think the gel when wet was sealing them in that icky, straggling, in-between phase.
  • AlycatAlycat Posts: 58Registered Users
    Gel on soaking wet hair always gives me totally straight, stiff hair, gel on damp, or even dry hair, gives me 'proper' curls.

Mamaherra - I always comb my hair to smooth out the fluff, then run through with a denman to put the curl/wave back and give it more bounce.
  • mamaherreramamaherrera Posts: 886Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I know what you all mean. I too, get way more volume applying gel to damp hair after the plop but then I can't comb. For Alycat, do you comb right in the shower, before products or when? And when do you use teh denman brush? Are you a 2?? I didnt know if 2's use the denman, but I've been wanting to try one, for definition. But when in your routine do you use that one?? All great suggestions!!
    2c
    Medium texture
    Normal porosity
    Normal elasticity
  • Joce12Joce12 Posts: 35Registered Users
    If I have a problem with straight ends I usually get them damp and wrap them around flexirods and leave them for about 20 mins. I'm not sure if it's the case with your hair, but typically when my hair gets the random straight bits(I also have 2C, very thick hair), it's because the hair has been damage, and needs cut off. Once my damaged ends have been trimmed the S shape seems to recover pretty well.
  • KeihsKeihs Posts: 435Registered Users
    Ditto. My curly hair when wet dries straight without product. I've tried scrunching in conditioner again then leaving it in, scrunching in gel, and plopping. Though it helped bring out my waves, it always ends up not full wavy and not fully curly, with some straight but slightly wavy ends or just straight pieces scattered around. As my hair dries it gets progressively straighter, so I try to get my hair to curl as much as it can while its wet or grabby and products with lots of hold helps a lot.
  • KeihsKeihs Posts: 435Registered Users
    Sometimes it makes me feel like a wavy impostor, even though I know my hair is actually curly.
  • AlycatAlycat Posts: 58Registered Users
    Mamaherra - I'm a 2, very fine and a chaotic mix of waves, curls and straight bits that change direction all over my head.

I wash and condition upside down, squeeze out the excess water with my hands, comb through upside down with a fine-tooth comb to 'organise' my hair and try and smooth the cuticle in the hope of less fluff later.

My hair's always straight when wet anyway, so it doesn't matter at this stage if I comb it.

I then scrunch like mad in a microfibre towel until it's damp and starting to curl, then brush though with the Denman, which gives it volume but tidies it up a bit, it would be way too chaotic if I just let it dry without brushing though at this point - but my hair's not like anyone else's

Then I air dry until it's virtually dry and I can see how it's curling/moving, on any given day and I just flip over it for less than a minute with a hot brush to lift the roots and try and make the curls all move in the same direction - it fails, but it looks a lot better than diffusing, which just makes my hair stand up straight from my head!

Don't suppose that will work for anyone else, but you're welcome to try!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file