New Curly (Wavy) Girl--I could REALLY use some advice!! Please!

ladybug8412ladybug8412 Posts: 40Registered Users
:( All this new information is hard for me to process, so please bear with me...

I have battled with my hair for 28 years blow drying and straightening. I've always had what I thought as just dry, frizzy hair because of all the AL humidity. I had tried air drying and using a diffuser in the past, but the products I tried were way too heavy for my hair. Finally, about 2 years ago a beautician made a remark about my hair that I never realized. I have high-density very fine hair. I let my hair air-dry with no products and saw how wavy my natural hair was and decided to stop the straightening battle and embrace my natural wave.

I have still been struggling with my hair and finding the right products to help. I stumbled across the CG method and decided to give it a try, which was a process in itself finding silicone free conditioners and products. I've just started the CG method yesterday, but I don't think I'm using the best products for the best results. I've began CO washing with Tresseme Naturals silicone-free conditioner, then applying KCKT leave-in and L.A. Looks Sports Gel. I have extremely fine 2b hair that is very dry and frizzy due to all the years of blowdrying and shampooing.

Now I'm also reading about the grabby and slippery products. Could someone PLEASE suggest some silicone and protein free leave-in conditioners and gels that are more grabby?? TIA!
Fine 2b hair, medium density, high porosity, normal elasticity
High dew points every season except winter, but high humidity year-round
Modified CG since 5/26/12
Low 'poo: Nature's Gates Herbal Shampoo
CO wash: V05 Kiwi Squeeze Clarifying Conditioner
RO: GVP CB
DT: GVP CB
PT: ION EC twice a week; IA Girl's Gelatin PT once a week
Styler: Just 4 Us Naturals Spring Back Curling Custard, HETT gel, and Ecostyler Krystal
Methods: diffusing for volume, SOTC
HG Products: Just 4 Us CC, GVP CB

Comments

• crazycurlychickcrazycurlychick Posts: 344Registered Users
    Hey! I'm a curly but I think I can help. If you want a conditioner with slip I found garnier fructis pure clean conditioner to be very slippy and for a grabby gel I can't help there cause I don't find any I've tried grabbier than la looks sport but I've tried garnier fructis spray gel and scrunch gel and they were okay but not grabby enough and I've tried la looks nutra curl but my hair was like NO way are you using this during the spring and summer (my hair has an attitude problem). I hope this helped some oh and Vo5 has okay slip if you use the moisture milks conditioner.

3A/B mix with flat roots dark blonde (refusing to call it brunette I miss my blonde baby hair) lovin my curls
    :angel9:rockin the curls God gave me.

Routine!
    Shampoo n/a
    Conditioner Vo5 Moisture Milks
    Leave in Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie
    Shower, comb, apply leave in and mousse in wet hair then scrunch out the water and sometimes.
    Second day, Wake up mist with water and smooth Shea Moisture Curl enhancing smoothie over hair :wav:
  • crazycurlychickcrazycurlychick Posts: 344Registered Users
    I forgot to add I use those conditioners as leave in and in the shower

3A/B mix with flat roots dark blonde (refusing to call it brunette I miss my blonde baby hair) lovin my curls
    :angel9:rockin the curls God gave me.

Routine!
    Shampoo n/a
    Conditioner Vo5 Moisture Milks
    Leave in Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie
    Shower, comb, apply leave in and mousse in wet hair then scrunch out the water and sometimes.
    Second day, Wake up mist with water and smooth Shea Moisture Curl enhancing smoothie over hair :wav:
  • raynebairraynebair Posts: 37Registered Users
    Another newbie here too. Just wondering what you mean by grabby and slippy? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    CG since May 23, 2012
    Yep, I'm a newbie!
    Hispanic with 3a/b curls that did not exist when I was a child

Current Products:
    Suave Naturals Everlasting Sunshine
    VO5 Tea Therapy Blackberry Sage
    HETT gel
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hair properties are more important for choosing ingredients/products then hair type. Here's a link to help Live Curly Live Free - Curly Hair Basics Once you determine your hair properties, look for folks with hair like yours and see what they use (in signature.) It's the best place to start.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ladybug8412ladybug8412 Posts: 40Registered Users
    raynebair wrote: »
    Another newbie here too. Just wondering what you mean by grabby and slippy? Thanks!

This can explain it better than me.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/95392-leave-grabbing-your-hair-leave-ins-dont-have-slip.html
    Styler: Just 4 Us Naturals Spring Back Curling Custard, HETT gel, and Ecostyler Krystal
    kathymack wrote: »
    Hair properties are more important for choosing ingredients/products then hair type. Here's a link to help Live Curly Live Free - Curly Hair Basics Once you determine your hair properties, look for folks with hair like yours and see what they use (in signature.) It's the best place to start.

Thank you! This website has provided me with so much new useful information!
  • jakrussel3jakrussel3 Posts: 423Registered Users
    Aussie Instant Freeze gel is pretty grabby. I've just started experimenting with it and it's giving me some interesting results. So if the LA Looks doesn't work for you, try switching it up. I don't think there's any protein in it either. I don't normally use a leave in. I just scrunch in a little extra RO after low-pooing and RO, and then don't rinse the extra bit out. I definitely recommend getting a hair analysis done if at all possible. It really helps with finding a hair twin and figuring out products.

Also, I don't know how long you've been sulfate free or if you just started that too, but if your hair gets "grimy" over the next couple of weeks, don't freak out. Some scalps have to adjust to not overproducing oil once they stop using oil stripping sulfate shampoo. It took mine about 4 weeks, then one day it was beautiful. Just keep rinsing well. By rinsing, I mean really part your hair so the water can get at your scalp and massage your scalp well.

And don't be scared to use a low poo. Lots of us wavies have to so we don't get over conditioned and weighed down.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Hair Properties: 2A/2B, Medium-fine, Normal porosity, Normal elasticity, Medium density
    Low Poo: DevaCare, Yes to Cuc's
    Rinse Out: DevaCare One Condition, Yes to Cuc's
    Cowash: Suave Naturals Lavender, Yes to Carrots Scalp Conditioner
    Curl Cream: AG ReCoil, Organix Moroccan Oil Curl Cream
    Gel/Mousse: Sweet Curls Elixirs FSG w/ Mag Sulfate added, Sweet Curls Elixirs hard hold gel, DevaCurl Frizz Free Foam, Aquage Uplifting Foam
    Protein: Spiral Solutions Protein Spray for daily use
  • raynebairraynebair Posts: 37Registered Users
    raynebair wrote: »

This can explain it better than me.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/95392-leave-grabbing-your-hair-leave-ins-dont-have-slip.html

Thanks! That makes sense.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    CG since May 23, 2012
    Yep, I'm a newbie!
    Hispanic with 3a/b curls that did not exist when I was a child

Current Products:
    Suave Naturals Everlasting Sunshine
    VO5 Tea Therapy Blackberry Sage
    HETT gel
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My blog might help you get started. Pedaheh's Hair Blog: How do I get started?

Fine hair usually likes protein. Is there a specific reason you don't want protien?

As a rule, fine haired wavies can't cowash exclusively. Most have to low poo once in a while (like once a weekish or more). It is common for fine haired wavies not to be able to cowash at all, and need to low poo exclusively. Don't be afraid to low poo when your hair needs it.

Tiffany Anderson's (livecurlylivefree.com) Pinterest page has product suggestions by hair type.

KCKT is great if you need detangling. It has a lot of slip. It may not be for you if you are looking for grabby products.

My hair is very fine and started out very dry. What helped me most to retain moisture in my hair is protein. Protein helped close the holed in my cuticle (porous hair). With the holes closed, the moisture could no longer escape out the holes. Also, try the spritz and condish method. Coconut oil prewash treatments were magical for my dry hair. The first time you try one, try it on one small section/curl of your hair. For some people it is hard to remove. Add enough to make it look like you haven't washed your hair for a week. Leave the test part in 20 minutes to one hour before washing it out. It cowashes out for me. Others need a low poo to remove it. If you like the coconut oil, you can leave it in up to overnight. Wrap your hair in a scarf, so you don't stain your sheets.

My 2 favorite moisturizing conditioners are Renpure Organics (red bottle) and GVP Conditining Balm (sally's). IDK if they have protein.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
    pedaheh wrote: »

Fine hair usually likes protein. Is there a specific reason you don't want protien?

As a rule, fine haired wavies can't cowash exclusively. Most have to low poo once in a while (like once a weekish or more). It is common for fine haired wavies not to be able to cowash at all, and need to low poo exclusively. Don't be afraid to low poo when your hair needs it.

Tiffany Anderson's (livecurlylivefree.com) Pinterest page has product suggestions by hair type.

KCKT is great if you need detangling. It has a lot of slip. It may not be for you if you are looking for grabby products.

My hair is very fine and started out very dry. What helped me most to retain moisture in my hair is protein. Protein helped close the holed in my cuticle (porous hair). With the holes closed, the moisture could no longer escape out the holes. Also, try the spritz and condish method. Coconut oil prewash treatments were magical for my dry hair. The first time you try one, try it on one small section/curl of your hair. For some people it is hard to remove. Add enough to make it look like you haven't washed your hair for a week. Leave the test part in 20 minutes to one hour before washing it out. It cowashes out for me. Others need a low poo to remove it. If you like the coconut oil, you can leave it in up to overnight. Wrap your hair in a scarf, so you don't stain your sheets.

My 2 favorite moisturizing conditioners are Renpure Organics (red bottle) and GVP Conditining Balm (sally's). IDK if they have protein.

I am very new to all this and am just learning about proteins and deep conditioning treatments. I'll
    Definitely be looking into a good PT! I'll also be getting a low 'poo to start using occasionally, any suggestions? Thanks for the links and advice! :)
  • LeanneMLeanneM Posts: 211Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    When I first started the CG method, I was co-washing, and it turned my fine waves into a greasy, limp mess -- it was just too much for my hair. I now wash 2-3 times a week, and use Deva NoPoo for one of those washes and either a Curl Junkie or Hugos Natural low poo for my other wash.

I've also found that protein really perks up my waves.

I'd definitely recommend getting a hair analysis done:

Live Curly Live Free - Hair Analysis

The analysis really helped me since the deluxe version includes product recommendations.

Good luck!
    Mod-CG since December 2010.
    Hair type: NC: 2A; FIA: 2cFii; Fine, normal porosity, normal elasticity
    Cleansing: CJ Cleansing Conditioner, Trader Joe's Tea Tree, or Deva No Poo
    Daily conditioner: Deva One C or CJ Beauticurls Strengthening Hair Cond or GPB
    Styling products: Deva B'Leave In + Deva Curl Cream + AnGel; or
    SS CEJ + BRHG; or AG: Recoil + BRHG; or KCKT + KCCC + BRHG
    Treatments: SS protein treatment or CJ Curl Fix or Nexxus Emergencee + CJ Curl Rehab

• wavymomwavymom Posts: 292Registered Users
    I highly recommend IAgirls gelatin PT: science-y hair blog: Recipes and Projects
    I try to do this 1x per week, and it has helped my waves immensely.

For low-poos, my current favorite is Shea Moisture moisture retention shampoo, which you can find at Target (and I believe Walgreens maybe?).
    pedaheh wrote: »

How can I find Tiffany Anderson's Pinterest page? I can't find her by searching her name. Thank you for the web links and advice!
  • Curly_LynCurly_Lyn Posts: 116Registered Users
    found the link on her website - Tiffany Anderson-Taylor (curlwhisperer) on Pinterest

HTH!
    2B/fine to med texture/med porosity

Started CG on 5/5/12!
    Battling dry/itchy scalp since April 2010.... Starting to WIN! :)
    Low Poo: Nature's Gate Tea Tree Shampoo
    Cowash: GTTTT or GVPCB
    RO : Ion Effective Care
    LI : KCKT or GVPCB
    Stylers : FSG
    PT : IAgirl's PT w/ acv, coconut oil, GVPCB, herbs, green tea
  • JadasCurliesJadasCurlies Posts: 10Registered Users
    Im a curly girl but I think I know what might work well for you. Maybe for someone with hair like yours you should look into the Pantene line for curly or even fine hair. I recommend for your hair type using light leave in conditioners and if your hair frizzes you should use just a little bit of an anti-frizz creme. You dont want to put tons of products in your hair especially if your using gels (if your thinking about using gels for your hair). If you put too much products in your hair it will look weighed down and if you use too much gel your hair will get hard and crunchy and that doesnt call for a good feel. Make sure that when you put products in your hair make sure its evenly distributed. I hope that could help just a little bit. Good luck in embracing your wavy side! :pl:

Oh and if you want to try deep conditioning your hair that might help make it soft and bring moisture to it.
    3a/3b/ and a little 3c :occasion7: Im bi-racial and I'm proud of my curly swirlies! :occasion7: :tongue3:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file