Soft curl help

ShellweShellwe Posts: 226Registered Users
My daughter is graduating in 3 week and the ceremony starts at 8:30 a.m.

I have to wash my hair daily or it looks like crap, but it takes FOREVER to dry. So I’d have to get up at like 3 to get it to dry. Styler’s I have all leave me with some kind of crunch.

I’m looking for a product(s) that would give nice soft /frizz free/ crunch-less curls, if I were to let my hair air dry. I have time to experiment so if you have any suggestions please let me know.

Here’s a list of what I have;
KCKT
CJ Smoothing lotion
FSG
CJ CIAB
CJ CCCCLite
CJ Pattern Pusha
JC Gelebration
JC CCSS
DM MiraCurl Curling Gelly
HETT gel
SM Curl & Style Hair Milk

eta photo - this is from today. I used TN for cowash, CJ Beauticurls Strengthing conditioner and followed up with about 2 peas worth of CJ Smoothing lotion to wet hair, plopped for about 5 minutes and then air dried. It's not bad but I'd like to try a get abit more definition.
2b fine texture, normal porosity/elasticity

Comments

• amandamarieamandamarie Posts: 240Registered Users
    I've found that several different ones of those are great on my hair and get it to dry frizz-free and crunch-free, but the problem is that without crunch, I find I don't have as much hold. Less hold, for me, is a problem because I don't get as much curl without something hard-holding, and I also find that my hair is more prone to frizzing out during the course of the day. Are you fine with having less hold?
    2a/b (really thick but sort of fine with pretty weak waves), medium-to-fine texture, normal porosity (I think). Doesn't seem to like protein.

Favorite products: Kinky-Curly Knot Today, Kinky-Curly Curling Custard, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Curl Junkie Curl Rehab, Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Smoothing Lotion, Shea Moisture Curl and Style Milk, homemade flaxseed gel.

Still looking for a cleanser I like. :dontknow:
  • ShellweShellwe Posts: 226Registered Users
    I've found that several different ones of those are great on my hair and get it to dry frizz-free and crunch-free, but the problem is that without crunch, I find I don't have as much hold. Less hold, for me, is a problem because I don't get as much curl without something hard-holding, and I also find that my hair is more prone to frizzing out during the course of the day. Are you fine with having less hold?

Less hold is ok

• amandamarieamandamarie Posts: 240Registered Users
    In that case I would see what happens when you scrunch in some of the SM and then maybe top with CIAB.
    2a/b (really thick but sort of fine with pretty weak waves), medium-to-fine texture, normal porosity (I think). Doesn't seem to like protein.

Favorite products: Kinky-Curly Knot Today, Kinky-Curly Curling Custard, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Curl Junkie Curl Rehab, Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Smoothing Lotion, Shea Moisture Curl and Style Milk, homemade flaxseed gel.

Still looking for a cleanser I like. :dontknow:
    In that case I would see what happens when you scrunch in some of the SM and then maybe top with CIAB.

I've only used the SM once and that was trying it as a styler after washing and conditioning, it didn't work so well :(

Maybe if I wash and then use the SM as a rinse out, then follow up with the CIAB it would work??

I have time to play so I'll give it a go tomorrow, thanks.

• wavymomwavymom Posts: 292Registered Users
    I haven't tried a lot of the products you listed, so can't really help you there.

Have you tried diffusing? Even if you don't want to do it every day, for special occasions it could help reduce your drying time substantially. You can diffuse to just partly dry if you prefer.

Also, if you have fine hair it would benefit from protein treatments. It is my understanding that over time these can actually help decrease your drying time somewhat. But it will also help with curl hold and definition through the day. Here is a great recipe that I swear by - I do this weekly.
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/2/116257-pt-recipe-promised.html

Also - even if your hair dries with crunch, you can scrunch out the crunch (SOTC). You can do this with bare hands, or lightly coat your hands with an oil, pomade, etc. Actually I get the best hair if it dries crunchy because that means the curls are held in place while it dries - and then I just SOTC and my curls are soft and bouncy.
  • plunkybugplunkybug Posts: 2,526Registered Users
    I'd say to wash and style it before bed the night before and not worry about the crunch. Pineapple or lay your hair on the back of the pillow overnight. SOTC on anything still crunchy in the morning and touch up with CCCC Lite and Pattern Pusha. Then relax and have fun!

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

Thanks wavymom and plunkybug for your suggestions ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file