What am I doing wrong? :(

Prototype_KPrototype_K Registered Users Posts: 59
I was transitioning for about a year & then I had to get a (regretful) blow out for a sweet 16 last month. So I had to restart my transitioning. Cool? Cool.
I decided that I was going to care for the length of my hair as well so I took a different transitioning route this time around. I keep my hair in loose twists whenever I don't have to go out, if I do I'll throw my hair in a bun & I finger detangle to prevent ripping knots out of my hair. I make sure I section my hair whenever I have to manipulate it, that way I can be as gentle as possible. I do my regular moisturizing & sealing as I've always done. Seems good, right? NO.

No matter how I section my hair it still tends to get EXTREMELY tangled. I found that in the back of my head a lot of the hair has BROKEN off! For the most part the back of my head has been able to revert back to my normal curls but I found tiny coils raveled in some heat damaged strands. Any tips on what I could improve on? It's frustrating... I've even considered going back to flat ironing but I was so happy with my curls. :(

Comments

• DentmjDentmj Registered Users Posts: 30
    I detangle in the shower with my hair coated in conditioner. That definitely helps!

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk .
    I can spell , it's my phone that can't !
  • Prototype_KPrototype_K Registered Users Posts: 59
    I detangle before I hop in the shower to save time. I wet my hair & condition it then finger detangle.
  • Mumma SiennaMumma Sienna Registered Users Posts: 24
    with my daughters hair i always detangle once the hair is drenched in water and conditioner (to minimise pulling and breakage). i also find if i was her hair too often (eg every 2 days) it is detrimental. i try to only was once a week, add conditioner/moisture every day and cowash midweek. this seems to work best for her hair atm. maybe you just need to give it a little more time to recover from the heat damage? i damaged daughters hair with heat (didn't realise it was so harmful) and it's taken me a good 1.5-2 years i think to get it back to looking healthy. she also had a haircut in between this time to getrid of the ends that were beyond repair. moisture is key with daughters hair, are you using enough? good luck! :)
    with my daughters hair i always detangle once the hair is drenched in water and conditioner (to minimise pulling and breakage). i also find if i was her hair too often (eg every 2 days) it is detrimental. i try to only was once a week, add conditioner/moisture every day and cowash midweek. this seems to work best for her hair atm. maybe you just need to give it a little more time to recover from the heat damage? i damaged daughters hair with heat (didn't realise it was so harmful) and it's taken me a good 1.5-2 years i think to get it back to looking healthy. she also had a haircut in between this time to getrid of the ends that were beyond repair. moisture is key with daughters hair, are you using enough? good luck! :)

I have a bottle with water & conditioner to apply to my hair everyday, maybe I just need to wait it out. Thank you!
  • LanishaLanisha Registered Users Posts: 467 Curl Neophyte
    Two things that majorly helped me with tangles is making sure to reach UNDER my hair to get at my scalp with my fingers when cleansing instead of reaching INTO my hair to massage just my scalp. I thought it didn't make a differences but reaching into rather than underneath caused tangles every time. I also made sure to rub only in downward motion when cleansing. No smooshing no squishing. I also only allow my head to tilt in the same direction as the water flows. I stand with my back to the water and lean my head back but that's it; I don't flip my head over, upside down, to the side, none of that because it caused me tangles.

The second thing is that I never go to sleep with my hair uncovered, because when I did my hair would just rub around my pillow and tangle while I slept.
    Lanisha wrote: »
    Two things that majorly helped me with tangles is making sure to reach UNDER my hair to get at my scalp with my fingers when cleansing instead of reaching INTO my hair to massage just my scalp. I thought it didn't make a differences but reaching into rather than underneath caused tangles every time. I also made sure to rub only in downward motion when cleansing. No smooshing no squishing. I also only allow my head to tilt in the same direction as the water flows. I stand with my back to the water and lean my head back but that's it; I don't flip my head over, upside down, to the side, none of that because it caused me tangles.

The second thing is that I never go to sleep with my hair uncovered, because when I did my hair would just rub around my pillow and tangle while I slept.

Thank you! I'll try to cleanse from under my hair next time & hopefully it'll help. :)
  • LovemenappyLovemenappy Registered Users Posts: 332

THIS IS SO TRUE!!! I find that the time during I wash my hair and after is when I (and people I know) experience the MOST breakage and tangles.

OP: I would also recommend that you part your hair in four big plaits, and then detangle gently with conditioner so basically your going to cowash your sections of hair, but clean the scalp with shampoo or a light cleanser. That way basically your hair stays detangled and clean without you having to really use a comb.

THIS IS SO TRUE!!! I find that the time during I wash my hair and after is when I (and people I know) experience the MOST breakage and tangles.

OP: I would also recommend that you part your hair in four big plaits, and then detangle gently with conditioner so basically your going to cowash your sections of hair, but clean the scalp with shampoo or a light cleanser. That way basically your hair stays detangled and clean without you having to really use a comb.

That's exactly what I do. I don't mind the shedding, it's just the breaking. I'm not sure why it's happening. Thank you for responding! :)
  • _Michael11_Michael11 Registered Users Posts: 90

That's how I wash my twa lol. Back to the water and smooth back.

via my Galaxy S2
    goal hair length- waist length
    I LOVE HAIR!!!
    **My Big Hair Don't Journey--"Please check me out" :nike:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/kingsmith1991?feature=mhee#p/a/u/1/CQ-J0dmftw8

comic-p.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file